PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this would work/be accepted as a character?

Captain Raveman
2016-06-27, 08:17 PM
Basically, the character is a frost giant who was had a curse put on him and turned into a dwarf. He started studying the arcane arts in order to find a spell that will reverse the curse.

He'd be a wizard with a build that focuses on ice spells. Him originally being a frost giant is mainly just for the backstory and personality, and mechanics-wise he's nearly identical to other dwarves. The only difference is that his default languages are Common and Giant, rather than Common and Dwarven.

That said, do you think he'd be accepted as a player character?

Mr Beer
2016-06-27, 08:35 PM
That said, do you think he'd be accepted as a player character?

Definitely "yes" or "no" or "maybe".

You should ask the DM.

trikkydik
2016-06-27, 08:45 PM
I think that is awesome and creative, i would allow that without a second thought. depending on how long you've been a dwarf, i would give you dwarven as a language also.

Khedrac
2016-06-28, 03:50 AM
Well that all depends on the world...

Most D&D worlds - probably.
Glorantha (RuneQuest) - very unlikely (what's a frost giant?)
Traveller/Spacemaster/Shadowrun/Cyberpunk/Call of Cthulhu/Champions/Marvel Super Heroes - No (except for exceptional circumstances)

Jay R
2016-06-28, 11:14 AM
Ask the DM. He knows how possible this is, and if it would screw up his potential plotlines. [The world may have no giants, or no dwarves, or it might get in the way of the coming giant/dwarf wars, or be impossible for some other historical reason.]

Then ask the other players if they would enjoy playing with him.

Just like any other character conception.

Captain Raveman
2016-06-28, 11:19 AM
Well that all depends on the world...

Most D&D worlds - probably.
Glorantha (RuneQuest) - very unlikely (what's a frost giant?)
Traveller/Spacemaster/Shadowrun/Cyberpunk/Call of Cthulhu/Champions/Marvel Super Heroes - No (except for exceptional circumstances)

Well, I usually play in the standard DnD setting.

Vitruviansquid
2016-06-28, 11:59 AM
Well, I usually play in the standard DnD setting.

I think the implication is you should then have posted this into a DnD sub-forum.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-28, 12:12 PM
Ask the DM. He knows how possible this is, and if it would screw up his potential plotlines. [The world may have no giants, or no dwarves, or it might get in the way of the coming giant/dwarf wars, or be impossible for some other historical reason.

I disagree, I think a Giant/Dwarf war is the best time to do it. I think having this PC in with a bunch of other races who might possibly throw their lot in with the giants (orc, hags, elementals, etc.) would be pretty nifty. You have someone who can spy, but is of a class that is very weak physically. Do you risk it, and how? How do you take the most advantage of this curse before someone wisens up or cures it? Does the character decide to pursue power within the war with the hopes of gaining a cure, or make sure they'll be cured at the cost of personal power?

Now, I think if this would be accepted would depend on the DM, so your guess is as good as mine. If I were DMing it, I would probably allow it, provided that I felt like I could communicate with the player and that they understood they weren't getting an advantage. (I don't use racial restrictions for languages, I go by the backstory, so the language thing wouldn't even matter.) If they are willing to work with me on what a Frost Giant is, then sure, why not?

One thing I should point out, is that many groups and DMs aren't fond of PvP. If Giants are evil creatures and dwarves Lawful Good ones, the chances of the two getting along are about as good as the chances of a bear and a bacon salesman accidentally wearing his wares getting along. If you intend to play this character, I'd be mindful of this and find out what other's comfort level is with PvP. If the Frost Giant part doesn't help, consider being a defector from the race.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-06-28, 01:07 PM
What is the quickest way to become a frost giant? Polymorph Plus and Permanency? When do you get that?

I don't see any mechanical reasons not to allow it. It's just a dwarven wizard who wants to find a way to become a giant wizard, which would hardly be game breaking by the time he's a good enough wizard to accomplish that. (And you might even drop that angle at some point where he learned how fulfilling life is as a dwarf because it was always meant to be just flavoring.)

Storywise, ask your dm.

Khedrac
2016-06-28, 01:13 PM
I think the implication is you should then have posted this into a DnD sub-forum.
Usually you'd be right, but this is a generic question so the generic forum makes sense. The point I was trying to make this time is that the OP should specify the world (e.g. Greyhawk) or the type of world (D&D Fantasy) that this is for, as this is not just a fantasy forum.

There is another reason why a DM might reject this idea - if they know that the party will be operating in an anti-magic field at some point then why would it not supress the curse?
As a DM I might suggest that they have been reincarnated into a dwarf instead - same effects but non-dispellable by accident. You can still be looking for a ritual to reverse it.

Florian
2016-06-28, 01:21 PM
Rather problematic, if you ask me.

"Frost Giant" is associated with some things, like being cruel, domineering a-holes and worshipping a demon prince.
"Dwarves" come along with some in-build anti-giant mechanics because of racial hatred.

Those donīt mesh, and personally, Iīm no friend of "special snowflakes". That means I also wonīt allow a sort of "reincarnated" Frost Giant as I donīt want CE characters at my table.

Mastikator
2016-06-28, 01:24 PM
Would you be OK with your character actually achieving his goal and then potentially being retired?

Jay R
2016-06-28, 01:35 PM
I disagree, I think a Giant/Dwarf war is the best time to do it.

That's certainly possible, but it depends on the setup and background of the war. That's why I said, "It might get in the way...."

Captain Raveman
2016-06-28, 03:37 PM
Would you be OK with your character actually achieving his goal and then potentially being retired?

That might work.

CharonsHelper
2016-06-28, 03:44 PM
Those donīt mesh, and personally, Iīm no friend of "special snowflakes". That means I also wonīt allow a sort of "reincarnated" Frost Giant as I donīt want CE characters at my table.

It really depends upon the table. I would find it to be too much of a special snowflake sort of thing and likely detract from the main storyline, but some tables enjoy that sort of thing.

But yes - it seems to be different for the sake of being different. If he's the one good frost giant amongst the entire race of frost giants (perhaps that's why he was shrunk) maybe he can wield two scimitars!

Captain Raveman
2016-06-29, 01:31 AM

I suppose, but the DnD forums are divided by edition and this question doesn't really apply to any one edition, I think.

Khedrac
2016-06-29, 03:33 AM
I suppose, but the DnD forums are divided by edition and this question doesn't really apply to any one edition, I think.
I agree - but you do need to specify the type of campaign you are talking about, and no, it is not automatic from the use of terms "dwarves" and "frost giants".

For example Norse Mythology has both, and I would think both are too powerful (conventionally) for a player character in a campaign unless the rest of the party is also at near-deific capability.
Also quite a few superheroes settings have both (which is the sort of campaign where I would be more willing to allow this).
Dragon magazine published an article to add dwarves to the Traveller universe, not sure about frost giants but it is a big universe - the real "no" on that one is the magic.
Etc.