PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [New Class] The Shaman

AmbientRaven
2016-06-27, 09:52 PM
Hi Folks,

Working on a new class for a custom world setting and thought I would share V0.1 here. It is based off of a pdf a friend showed me of a World of Warcraft shaman class someone else made (I am unsure who/from where though, but if you know please let me know so I can give appropriate credit!). I liked it, but I felt it was to World of Warcraft, so I spent some time modifying it and trying to make it more all purpose.

The class is built around a concept of a shaman that is in touch with elements and spirits. The class is built around a half caster chassi and can place fetishes that give aura like effects or area effects.
The archetypes come in three flavours: spell casting/elements focused, healing focused and melee combat combining elements and war spirits. The spell list mirrors the theme of the class, focusing on elemental based spells, or ones that can affect 'spirits'.

This is the first version, so some wording may be rough and there may be errors.

I hope you enjoy this class, and I look forward to your feedback

Homebrewery: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1tPjORr

pdf: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx8EzFrA4PbbcDdONHJ3NGZWaUk/view?usp=sharing

Final Hyena
2016-06-28, 02:33 AM
Rock & Sea Spirit are the exact same ability.
Flame & Storm spirit are the exact same ability.

Magma spirit 1d8 fire
Air spirit 2d6 force
Not only is air more damage but a better damage type, if anything it should be the other way around.

Ancient Spirits of War is a very strong power spike. Maybe if it affected a single creature?

AmbientRaven
2016-06-28, 07:49 AM
They are different, but similar. Same effect, one affects spells the other weapon attacks.

Ancient Spirits of War is something I wondered about. I considered just all allies gain an extra attack and gain advantage until beginning of your next turn and dropping the extra turn.

the Magma/Air is for the same reason. A weapon can attack more oftan than spells can, so mroe dmaage for the spell one

Final Hyena
2016-06-28, 08:25 AM
They are different, but similar. Same effect, one affects spells the other weapon attacks.
Doesn't that slightly restrict the class?

Ancient Spirits of War is something I wondered about. I considered just all allies gain an extra attack and gain advantage until beginning of your next turn and dropping the extra turn.
Not fun for those who don't care about making attacks.

the Magma/Air is for the same reason. A weapon can attack more oftan than spells can, so mroe dmaage for the spell one
The Shaman only gets one attack, also air isn't triggered on a spell, just when it's used.

When you enhance your weapon with Air Spirit, a target must make a constitution save or take an additional 2d6 force damage.
There also lacks any kind of limitation on the target, most importantly range.

AmbientRaven
2016-06-30, 10:44 AM
I'll have to sit down and re-review the Bound spirits. orignally the class had two attacks, but i took a different path so as to differentiate form paladin.