PDA

View Full Version : Curious Town Rules

ekarney
2016-06-28, 12:46 AM
So as DM's, sometimes we like our players to wander into strange or exotic towns that have laws players are unaccustomed to.

What are some of the most out there laws you've introduced your players to?
Player, what are the weirdest laws you've had to abide by?

(I'm designing a series of backwaters towns for my players and have enough on my plate)

Bullet06320
2016-06-28, 02:16 AM
http://www.dumblaws.com/

search through this for inspiration

Douglas
2016-06-28, 03:11 AM
http://www.dumblaws.com/

search through this for inspiration
Oh my, that brings back memories. I used that as source material for an essay back in high school many years ago. As I recall, I found that most of them fell into three major categories: sex, animals, and Sundays. Some of them covered two of these categories. I don't think I found any that did all three, pretty sure I would have noted that.

And then there were the oddball outliers, such as one town that had a $500 fine for detonating a nuclear device within the city limits. A) That seems rather small, and B) after a nuclear device has been detonated is there going to be a city left to collect the fine?

Bullet06320
2016-06-28, 03:21 AM
that's Marlborough Mass that outlaws nukes, I just been reading them, and getting some good laffs

Âmesang
2016-06-28, 08:10 AM
Once had a ranger in the party get arrested for sleeping in a tree. 'Cause, you know, he's a ranger; Heavens forbid he enjoys the comforts of civilization now and then. :smalltongue:

Otherwise the only one that comes to mind is having weapons and spell-casting hands peacebound in The Speaker in Dreams, and only 'cause it was part of the adventure. Otherwise all of my groups have been very very very loose about anything like this.

Pugwampy
2016-06-28, 08:43 AM
Not really laws but strange customs ?

I had players working for a clan of greedy dwarf merchants called Clan Gold Thirst . Most had multiple gold teeth. Players were initiated by drinking some very potent LSD ? Ale that made em run around screaming and trying to bite all the golden plates until half their teeth broke . Next morning players and some dwarves went to the clan priest to get their teeth refitted and the priest offers them golden teeth fittings as an option. Players are part of the family now .

In my insane awesome Fairy town hub <Thelenea>.

There is no temples or shrines just a grove with a unicorn for heal options
Currency is unknown players need to swop items for what they want . There is no weapons and armour available. No meat and hardly a veggie . Fairies only consume food not unlike honey and sweets and chocolate .

The players dress in court robes made of spider silk thats white until they choose a coloured room then it changes to match that same room colour . Males are dressed like Aladdin with a pointy cap and a bell on the end . <boys are naughty and the bell helps keep track of them> Girls wear a sleeveless short skirt tennis dresses . Shoes are green pointy and made of hard vegetable matter . Naughty players fuffing in the fairy queens bedchambers for goodies or perversions sake have a golden coloured outfit . naughty naughty naughty .

In my Half Orc underground city . <Palaschuk>

Horse meat is a staple food . Their cavalry options to buy or rent is Dire wolf , Dire Bat and Dire Boar . Vampire bats convey messages instead of ravens . Usually the bat wants a free blood suck when he lands to deliver a message . The half Orcs equivalent of ground hogs day is a skunk in the "Skunk Arena" in the middle of the city. Skunk is poked and harrassed for omens and luck before the days arena festivities . Skunk sprays the annoying priest who takes it as a good sign and promptly rushes into the halforc crowd who try to get the heck out of his way <stinky> . This continues for about ten to twenty minutes .

Flickerdart
2016-06-28, 09:39 AM
And then there were the oddball outliers, such as one town that had a $500 fine for detonating a nuclear device within the city limits. A) That seems rather small, and B) after a nuclear device has been detonated is there going to be a city left to collect the fine?

You could probably pop off a few Davy Crocketts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_(nuclear_device)) without taking down too many buildings.