PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Optimization for a PF Monk

Wolfofmibu66
2016-06-28, 03:53 AM
So since there isn't a basic thread for this, and I haven't been able to find any specific evidence for it yet, I suppose I'll ask here.

On the topic of optimizing a monk, mostly for defense, but seeking some means of increasing offense, does it make more sense to get brass knuckles in all the flavors of the weapon rainbow, or an Amulet of mighty fists?

Apart from the above question, any optimization tips, tricks, or items would be wonderful, excluding the obvious long term goal of a monk's robe.

For reference I suppose, my monk as currently a lvl 6 Vanaran MoMS, focusing on snapping turtle and crane for defensive fighting and distracting the enemy.
Current Items:
Ring of protection +1
Amulet of Natural Armor +2
Cloak of Resistance +1
Headband of Wisdom +2
Feats:
Crane Style + Crane Wing
Snapping Turtle Style + Snapping turtle shell
Dodge
Monkey Style

Psyren
2016-06-28, 08:26 AM
The knuckles make more sense, especially since your neck slot is already taken.

You don't have much wealth left after all those items but one thing to shoot for would be Bracers of Armor.

Geddy2112
2016-06-28, 10:44 AM
I did the optimization, and I was able to get a 15 point buy WBL halfling monk MoMS 15/duelist 5 with all the bells, whistles, spells, etc to have 93 AC at level 20. With a +8 to AC against an AoO from leaving a threatened square.... Of course, this is silly minmaxing and there is no need for such. A tarrasque with true strike can only get a 79 on a roll of a 19....

I second a weapon over an AoMF, but I would go for a cestus for slightly more damage and a better crit range, and it keeps your hands free to do most things. If you want brass knuckles for flavor, the cestus is not all that much better.

Whatever weapon you get, consider the defending quality for extra armor. Second bracers of armor for more AC and various enchantments.

You probably already have 3 ranks in acrobatics, but if you don't get three ranks. Not only for the use of the skill, but the extra +1 to fighting defensively and +2 to total defense AC.

Pugwampy
2016-06-28, 11:01 AM
There is nice elemental damage options in PF advanced players handbook . I would take that .

3.5 had a few awesome feats .

Flying Kick <extra 1D12 > on charge attacks .
Circle Kick which acted like a cleave .
Even a frigging DBZ Goku style fireball attack.

Tactically speaking its not about a monk getting stronger to go one on one vs a fully equipped Fighter but more of a monk disabling said fighter and bringing him down to monks level . Things like grapple and disarm or trip in place of just flurry renders the tank useless .
Pump your monk to do great stun attacks then next round take the fighter,s weapon and toss it away or into your backpack or some such ?

Not a fan of monks . Too many AB points needed in too many areas .

Wolfofmibu66
2016-06-29, 11:51 PM
Thanks for all the tips, I'll have to see how it shakes out in the end. Also I think i found one reason why having brass knuckle/a cestus might not be the best. Some of the styles or sub style feats require "at least one free hand", and I didn't find it written anywhere that brass knuckles and other punching style weapons don't take up your hands.

Geddy2112
2016-06-30, 01:16 AM
I know the cestus is sold per hand, I think the brass knuckles are as well. Therefore you could have a hand without the cestus/knuckles and one with, keeping a free hand.

Also, you are allowed to hold things and cast spells(with a check) using brass knuckles, so it is arguable that the hand is free. A cestus allows you to use the hand to hold or carry, and that you take a -2 to precision based tasks like opening locks. Since it allows you to use the hand to use a lockpick, I would say the hand is free there.

Remember, as a monk you can also strike with your elbows, knees, and feet, so even with hands full you can fight. Although not RAW, it is arguable you could get a cestus, or reinforced elbow, knee, or boot to have a similar effect.

Psyren
2016-06-30, 08:38 AM
Thanks for all the tips, I'll have to see how it shakes out in the end. Also I think i found one reason why having brass knuckle/a cestus might not be the best. Some of the styles or sub style feats require "at least one free hand", and I didn't find it written anywhere that brass knuckles and other punching style weapons don't take up your hands.

You don't need more than one. Dual-wielding is pointless for monks anyway.