PDA

View Full Version : Double weapon strength character

ScarletThief
2016-06-28, 10:49 AM
Hey there I just recently joijed up in a pathfinder campaign and out together an oracle who a weighted spear which is a double weapon. It wasn't until after we started I realized that it seem to only be viable for high dex characters and my 12 dex doesn't seem to cut it I have fifteen strength if that's a factor can you people give me any advice on making it viable.

Khedrac
2016-06-28, 11:01 AM
Double Weapons in D&D are simply one of the Two-Weapon fighting options.
About their only advantages are:
1) you only have one weapon to pick up if you drop it;
2) the second head of the weapon is treated as light for the two-weapon fighting penalties;
3) you can take one hand off it to cast a spell or manipulate something else without dropping the weapon.

So - how to make two-weapon fighting viable - well I usually consult the two-weapon fighting (off)-handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079-3-5-The-TWF-OffHandbook).

If you don't to two-weapon fight, then you don't want a double weapon.

KillianHawkeye
2016-06-28, 11:04 AM
You can either ask your DM to let you switch your Str and Dex scores, or see if he'll let you retroactively pick a different weapon. Alternatively, just attack with one end of the weapon at a time, since most (maybe all) double weapons are two-handed weapons if you don't exercise the ability to attack with both ends of it.

Darrin
2016-06-28, 12:36 PM

Actually, I'd say just grip it two-handed and treat it as a two-handed weapon. You can ignore the offhand end of it. I'm still somewhat unfamiliar with the differences in how Pathfinder treats THF/TWF, but the basics should still work: you get x1.5 your Strength bonus on damage, you can Power Attack with it, etc.

Seppo87
2016-06-28, 03:22 PM
Some classes can TWF without meeting requirements, namely Ranger and Slayer.

Unfortunately, neither is a good combination with Oracle afaik (maybe there are specific builds that I'm unaware of)

Use only one end of the double wepon, or simply change weapon

Troacctid
2016-06-28, 04:51 PM
Double Weapons in D&D are simply one of the Two-Weapon fighting options.
About their only advantages are:
1) you only have one weapon to pick up if you drop it;
2) the second head of the weapon is treated as light for the two-weapon fighting penalties;
3) you can take one hand off it to cast a spell or manipulate something else without dropping the weapon.

So - how to make two-weapon fighting viable - well I usually consult the two-weapon fighting (off)-handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079-3-5-The-TWF-OffHandbook).

There are other advantages too. They are often equivalent, damage-wise, to two one-handed weapons rather than a one-handed and a light weapon, so the offhand deals more damage. They count as a single weapon for feats like Weapon Focus. You can freely switch between two-handing for single strikes and dual-wielding for full attacks. And a dire flail is used for Dire Flail Smash, which is a pretty legit weapon style feat.

They're also much more efficient in the admittedly very specific case of the Two-Weapon Fighting soulknife, since a single double-bladed sword mind blade has a higher enhancement bonus than two short sword mind blades. But that's probably not relevant here.

Necroticplague
2016-06-28, 04:56 PM
Even if you don't use the off-hand side of the weapon, simply having it their to get passive enchantments (like Eager, Warning, parrying, or Defending).

Seppo87
2016-06-28, 05:34 PM
Even if you don't use the off-hand side of the weapon, simply having it their to get passive enchantments (like Eager, Warning, parrying, or Defending).
Eager and Warning are 3.5 only; in Pathfinder there's Dueling that can be used for similar purposes but technically it cannot be put on a double weapon since it's not finesseable (though one end is considered light for the purposes of TWF it's not actually light)
I would allow it as GM but ymmv

Knaight
2016-06-28, 05:44 PM
You could just use it like a normal spear, instead of as a double weapon. Think of it as a spear that grants access to a bludgeoning attack as well, instead of a true double weapon.