PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Journalist Ideas

CalleroftheDeep
2016-06-28, 12:47 PM
Hey guys!

So I am going to be joining a new campaign soon, and I am playing a 3.5 sorcerer journalist/newspaper publisher. Her focus is on divination and teleportation, to ensure she appears on the scene of the news as soon as it happens. We are starting at level 8, and probably have lower starting gold than usual.
I am wondering if you guys have any ideas for ways to print paper/gather notes/get information as easily as possible. I've combed through a few of the books to get a hat of disguise and wands of at-will Amanuensis cantrip for my workers in the newspaper shop to use in order to make the paper, but I am sure there are a plethora of other items that would be either practical or thematic for a magical journalist. One problem I have right now is being able to deliver a long journal article back to the shop while my character is out adventuring at practical speed, for example. This community is excellent at finding every miscellaneous item ever printed, and so I was wondering if you guys could help me out. (And yes, leadership and the usual ban-wagon of OP feats are banned)

Thanks,

Caller

khadgar567
2016-06-28, 01:20 PM
Hey guys!

So I am going to be joining a new campaign soon, and I am playing a 3.5 sorcerer journalist/newspaper publisher. Her focus is on divination and teleportation, to ensure she appears on the scene of the news as soon as it happens. We are starting at level 8, and probably have lower starting gold than usual.
I am wondering if you guys have any ideas for ways to print paper/gather notes/get information as easily as possible. I've combed through a few of the books to get a hat of disguise and wands of at-will Amanuensis cantrip for my workers in the newspaper shop to use in order to make the paper, but I am sure there are a plethora of other items that would be either practical or thematic for a magical journalist. One problem I have right now is being able to deliver a long journal article back to the shop while my character is out adventuring at practical speed, for example. This community is excellent at finding every miscellaneous item ever printed, and so I was wondering if you guys could help me out. (And yes, leadership and the usual ban-wagon of OP feats are banned)

Thanks,

Caller
not an idea but how about take a deep breat and slowly tell every thing again

Jeff the Green
2016-06-28, 01:24 PM
Standard for long-range communication is aspect mirrors, from Complete Scoundrel. At 4000 apiece, and needing one for you and one for your editor, however, they're pretty pricey.

Gildedragon
2016-06-28, 01:24 PM
undead or construct printers.

Spymaster's coin;
Listening Coin;
Chain of eyes

Straight up paying for useful info (leave them a scroll of sending keyed to send to you alone; or message stones* (dragon compendium iirc); or a bird feather token to contact you,)

*edit: sending stones: complete arcane

CalleroftheDeep
2016-06-28, 01:40 PM
Hey guys!

Thanks,

Caller

Also, do any of you know where to find a printing press in the books? I have not been able to locate any.

Gildedragon
2016-06-28, 01:57 PM
I don't think there is one. If there is it'd be in A&EG
I'd go for making an amanuesis trap, with someone changing out the stack of papers every so often

daremetoidareyo
2016-06-28, 10:25 PM
Create lantern archon.

It'll perform 1 service free of charge. Like teleport your notes to town criers

Troacctid
2016-06-28, 10:37 PM
Create lantern archon.

It'll perform 1 service free of charge. Like teleport your notes to town criers

Along those lines, Call Faithful Servants. Calls up to 2 HD per caster level of lantern archons, coure eladrins, and/or musteval guardinals who will serve you faithfully for up to 1 year. Get your own personal staff of teleporting celestials.

trikkydik
2016-06-28, 11:04 PM
What about a familiar? A Hawk has a flight speed of 60ft. Cast invisible on it if the dm wants to mess with you. (An eagle has flight speed of 80, but its a "small creature" not tiny. see if you can train some eagles, or ask a druid to summon one, level 2 spell. or take 4 levels of druid, which is not a half bad idea.)

Also i highly recommend switching to wizard, you'll have access to more spells, and more powerful spells too. unless charisma is an integral part of your character.

Also, just build a press from scratch, draw the pans and get someone to craft it for you. its a pretty simple machine.

also, secret page is a third level spell, in case you need it

good luck

longshotist
2016-07-05, 11:13 AM
Hey guys!

Thanks,

Caller

I fully endorse this idea and suggest using RP to get information. That being said, employing things like a hat of disguise, listening coins and divination magic would be unethical for a journalist.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-07-05, 12:00 PM
I fully endorse this idea and suggest using RP to get information. That being said, employing things like a hat of disguise, listening coins and divination magic would be unethical for a journalist.

You obviously know nothing about journalists (and don't read/watch the news), because lying and spying to get info is standard practice.
I imagine it's significantly worse in a world where adventurer and tomb raider are legitimate jobs.

longshotist
2016-07-08, 12:35 AM
You obviously know nothing about journalists (and don't read/watch the news), because lying and spying to get info is standard practice.
I imagine it's significantly worse in a world where adventurer and tomb raider are legitimate jobs.

i am a journalist. i've never done any of those things nor has anyone i know.

trikkydik
2016-07-08, 06:52 PM

This comment is totally pointless and malicious.

This thread exists to provide someone with helpful input.

My recommendation to you is STOP GIVING OTHERS YOUR INPUT!

you obviously know nothing about speaking to other, because this type of behavior is toxic. fix yourself