PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Homebrew Cantrip Damage Type Question

DracoKnight
2016-06-28, 06:00 PM
For a cantrip based on a snakebite, would it be better for it to deal necrotic or poison damage, or even potentially acid? I think poison probably works best, but necrotic works too, if you see it as basically eating the flesh. And then acid could work, since some snakes spit their venom...

I guess I really don't want to make it poison damage because of how crappy poison damage is in this edition - unless, I guess it had a FANTASTIC rider.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-28, 06:05 PM
If you bite it, it's poisonous. If it bites you, it's venomous.

I would say Acid or Necrotic

Probabaly Acid as Necrotic is less natural.

Edit

Also I've been told snake bites feel like acid inside your body...

DracoKnight
2016-06-28, 06:12 PM
If you bite it, it's poisonous. If it bites you, it's venomous.

I know that :smallwink: And so it bugs me that they don't have a separate "venom" type...because all of the snakes' bites deal poison damage if they're a venomous snake.

I would say Acid or Necrotic

Probabaly Acid as Necrotic is less natural.

Okay, I think I'll go with acid then.

Edit

Also I've been told snake bites feel like acid inside your body...

Yeah, it's no picnic :smalltongue:

R.Shackleford
2016-06-28, 06:17 PM
I know that :smallwink: And so it bugs me that they don't have a separate "venom" type...because all of the snakes' bites deal poison damage if they're a venomous snake.

Okay, I think I'll go with acid then.

Yeah, it's no picnic :smalltongue:

Now, you could have a snake's acid poison a target which could be because their body is reacting, violently, to trying to stop the venom (not very well).

Poison shouldn't be a damage type, should just be a condition and let Acid or Necrotic work as the damage type.

DracoKnight
2016-06-28, 06:20 PM
Now, you could have a snake's acid poison a target which could be because their body is reacting, violently, to trying to stop the venom (not very well).

Lol, this is what I did. I'll be putting the cantrip up in the Homebrew forum, just to double-check its balance.

Poison shouldn't be a damage type, should just be a condition and let Acid or Necrotic work as the damage type.

You will find no arguments from me - in my games Trickery clerics get an Acid Divine Strike.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-28, 06:22 PM
I like our avatar sync up. Lol

Also... I would how OP poison spray would be if it was single target, con save, poison for 1 round. No damage and give it a very short range (10')

That might be a bit too much.

DracoKnight
2016-06-28, 06:26 PM
I like our avatar sync up. Lol

Also... I would how OP poison spray would be if it was single target, con save, poison for 1 round. No damage and give it a very short range (10')

That might be a bit too much.

Here's the link to the spell! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493126-Snakebite-a-Cantrip-PEACH&p=20944044#post20944044) :smallsmile:

Hmmmmmmmm...I think that that version of poison spray would actually be decent. :smallsmile:

R.Shackleford
2016-06-28, 06:29 PM
Here's the link to the spell! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493126-Snakebite-a-Cantrip-PEACH&p=20944044#post20944044) :smallsmile:

Hmmmmmmmm...I think that that version of poison spray would actually be decent. :smallsmile:

Poison is quite strong, disadvantage to attacks and ability checks...

But...

Poisoned for 1 round. The target shakes off the poison after they make their next attack roll or ability check.

This way it is good but not too good.

*shrug* I'll think about it later.

DracoKnight
2016-06-28, 06:33 PM
Poison is quite strong, disadvantage to attacks and ability checks...

But...

Poisoned for 1 round. The target shakes off the poison after they make their next attack roll or ability check.

This way it is good but not too good.

*shrug* I'll think about it later.

I made the poison cost a bonus action on top of casting snakebite as an action, for the purposes of not allowing hex/snakebite shenanigans without prior preparation. Figured it would reign in how good the poisoned condition is.