PDA

View Full Version : Index List of all prestige classes that progress spellcasting

Troacctid
2016-06-28, 08:20 PM
Click here for the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1geywITbI4M-Up08SGD-rUHlnobR66aIgKqu7mILkmhU/)

Alternately, view it as webpage (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1geywITbI4M-Up08SGD-rUHlnobR66aIgKqu7mILkmhU/pubhtml).

The original version of this spreadsheet was taken from the Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis (http://www.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=11953.0) (and not created by me). However, I've spent way too much time improving it, and it's now expanded significantly—for example:

Added material from web enhancements and Dragon Magazine.
Sources are now cited, so you can easily find the original text. (You can find the abbreviation legend here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc), at the bottom of the page.)
Classes that are available online are now hyperlinked.
Psionic classes are now included.
Variant base classes with different spell progressions, such as the Trickster Spellthief and the Mystic Ranger, are now listed in the Base Clases sheet.
Now sortable and filterable by skill points, base attack bonus, class skills, good saves, and/or hit dice.
Includes any new proficiencies granted by the class.
All prerequisites are listed, so you can easily see if you qualify.
All additional spells granted by the class are now listed, not just domains. Spell-like abilities that mimic spells are listed as well.
Added columns for compatibility with the Warlock and Shadowcaster.
Fixed some errors in the original.
Added a new sheet with Pathfinder classes.
Added fancy alternating colors for easier readability.

There are sheets for additive prestige classes (ones that advance other classes), standalone prestige classes (ones with their own spellcasting progressions), base classes, and racial paragon classes (also included in the additive classes sheet).

Right-click at the top of a column to sort it by that value. You can also click the filter button (https://imgur.com/2iNXBMP) to filter the sheet or use a preset filter view.

Hiro Quester
2016-06-29, 06:19 AM
Nice resource!

Edit: It would be helpful to be able to apply more than one filter at at time (e.g. When building a gish: full arcane and full BAB). But I don't know if that's possible.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-29, 10:06 AM
Very nice, thanks!

Troacctid
2016-06-29, 01:44 PM
Edit: It would be helpful to be able to apply more than one filter at at time (e.g. When building a gish: full arcane and full BAB). But I don't know if that's possible.
It is possible—you can see that some of the preset filters do it. You just highlight multiple columns before clicking the filter button.

Troacctid
2016-06-29, 11:33 PM
Updated: Now includes a sheet with Pathfinder classes (Paizo only).

Troacctid
2016-12-26, 11:03 PM
Phew! Just finished a major update. The sheet now includes class skills, hit dice, saving throws, and any new proficiencies offered by the class. Here's an example of what a class's row looks like now:

Additive PrC
Source
Min. Entry
Spells Per Day
L1
L2
L3
L4
L5
L6
L7
L8
L9
L10
L11
L12
L13
L14
L15
Additional Spell List
Skills
BAB
HD
Fort
Ref
Will
Proficencies
Warlock
Shadowcaster
Spell Req.
BAB Req.
Alignment
Skill Req.
Feat Req.
Other Req.
Notes
Appraise
Autohypnosis
Balance
Bluff
Climb
Concentration
Craft
Decipher Script
Diplomacy
Disable Device
Disguise
Escape Artist
Forgery
Gather Information
Handle Animal
Heal
Hide
Intimidate
Jump
K (arc)
K (arch/eng)
K (dung)
K (geo)
K (hist)
K (local)
K (nat)
K (nob/roy)
K (relig)
K (planes)
K (psi)
Listen
Move Silently
Open Lock
Perform
Profession
Psicraft
Ride
Search
Sense Motive
Sleight of Hand
Speak Language
Spellcraft
Spot
Survival
Swim
Tumble
UMD
UPD
Use Rope

Fist of Raziel
BE
Divine
-
X
X
X
X
X
-
d10
+
-
-
Simple and martial weapons, all armor, shields (except tower shields)
Never
Never
Divine Favor
LG
Diplomacy 5, Know (relig) 5
Power Attack, Servant of the Heavens
-

x
x

x

x

x
x

x

x

Xethik
2016-12-30, 03:28 PM
This is an exceptional resource! Thank you for putting this together and maintaining it.

Troacctid
2017-01-07, 02:40 PM
The column for additional spells now makes note of spell-like abilities that mimic spells. This is effectively an expansion of your spell list, so it should be useful information for spellcasters looking for more versatility.

Anthrowhale
2017-01-09, 10:09 PM
This seems quite nice, thank you.

I had a few questions/comments for items unclear to me:

For the Sorcerer spell list, how are you accounting for Wu-Jen access?
For the Spellcaster list, how are you accounting for Sorcerer-only spells?
For the Contemplative, there is the weirdo clause at the end of their spellcasting which makes them both an additive and a standalone class---they are standalone when you enter with ability to cast a divine spell yet not a member of a divine spellcasting class (somehow...).

Troacctid
2017-01-09, 10:39 PM
This seems quite nice, thank you.

I had a few questions/comments for items unclear to me:

For the Sorcerer spell list, how are you accounting for Wu-Jen access?
For the Spellcaster list, how are you accounting for Sorcerer-only spells?
For the Contemplative, there is the weirdo clause at the end of their spellcasting which makes them both an additive and a standalone class---they are standalone when you enter with ability to cast a divine spell yet not a member of a divine spellcasting class (somehow...).

1. That's a variant from Oriental Adventures, page 30.
2. I believe that's an error in the sheet. Fixed it.
3. This can happen with racial spellcasting. I added a note.

VisitingDaGulag
2017-01-12, 01:18 PM
I remember this in the EVD. Nice additions!

Anthrowhale
2017-01-12, 09:55 PM
Another minor correction I believe: Incantatrix advances Arcane only.

Thurbane
2017-01-12, 10:04 PM
[/LIST]
Monster of Legend template springs to mind. As well as various other creatures with innate Cleric or Druid casting.

Troacctid
2017-01-13, 01:00 AM
Another minor correction I believe: Incantatrix advances Arcane only.
I bet it got mixed up with the 3.0 version. Fixed it.

Anthrowhale
2017-01-13, 08:09 PM
There's a more structural issue that you might want to address although it may require some work.

Most of the 'Any' classes actually only advance spellcasting (as opposed to psionics) with the exceptions of Uncanny Trickster and Legacy Champion. Consequently, it's hard to select just the psionics-advancing classes. If Uncanny Trickster and Legacy Champion where listed as 'Any' while every other 'Any' entry changed to something like 'spells' this problem would go away. Is there a way to do a replace everywhere operation?

Troacctid
2017-01-13, 08:54 PM
I'll just switch those two to "Everything" and add them to the Psionics filter. That should do the trick. I'm pretty sure they're the only ones.

pupaeted
2017-01-13, 09:11 PM
So good. Very clear and well presented. A+ will use in future.

Anthrowhale
2017-04-08, 08:57 PM
The Divine Crusader is a prepared class, not a spontaneous class.

Anthrowhale
2017-10-14, 07:33 AM
Tainted Spellcaster has a good Will save rather than a good Fort save.

NoAnonimo
2018-01-12, 01:40 PM
Quick question.
I've been using Vinculum Draconis for a while, and I've noted there (and on your work) that the minimun entry are, if I'm not mistaken, allways one level lower for every class that requieres skill points.

Example: Prophet of Erathaol list a minimun entry level of 7 (ECL 7), but has a prer. of Spellcraft -10 ranks.

The maximum rank in a class skill is the character’s level + 3.

Shouldn't that class have a minimun entry level of 8?

Unlike the basic classes, characters must meet Requirements before they can take their first level of a prestige class. The rules for level advancement apply to this system, meaning the first step of advancement is always choosing a class. If a character does not meet the Requirements for a prestige class before that first step, that character cannot take the first level of that prestige class.

Edit: assuming no tricks. duh.

Troacctid
2018-01-12, 04:20 PM
Just a matter of convention. It indicates the level you are before you take your first level of the prestige class, not after.

NoAnonimo
2018-01-13, 12:37 PM
Just a matter of convention. It indicates the level you are before you take your first level of the prestige class, not after.

Little observation, then. Paragnostic Apostle should say ECL1 (minimun entry), since the touchstone feat allows inmediate entry. Becoming a member of the Paragnostic Assembly requires just 3 ranges on any two Kn skills (also possible at 1st level).

BTW: A-Ma-Zing Work!

Troacctid
2018-01-13, 08:17 PM
You can get the SLA at 1st, but not the 5 ranks in the required skills.

NoAnonimo
2018-01-13, 11:23 PM
You are right, indeed. I missed that.

magic9mushroom
2019-02-03, 10:04 AM
Arcane Hierophant should be 7, not 6. A Wiz3/Drd3 only has BAB +3 and doesn't qualify (even with fractional BAB, it falls just short of +4). Getting in at 6 requires some sort of early-entry cheese*.

*As an aside, even if you have such cheese (specifically, some way to get 2nd-level arcane spells with 1 level of Sor/Wiz), getting into Arcane Hierophant at 6 with Arc2/Drd4 isn't necessarily the best use of it. You're probably better off either cutting the Arc down to 1 with Arc1/Drd6 or keeping up casting better with Arc1/Drd3/MT4.

Troacctid
2019-02-03, 01:42 PM
I double checked it and it looks like the 3/3 split does work if you use death master as the arcane class instead of wizard. Death master is the only medium BAB base class that gets 2nd level arcane spells at level 3.

magic9mushroom
2019-02-03, 08:22 PM
I double checked it and it looks like the 3/3 split does work if you use death master as the arcane class instead of wizard. Death master is the only medium BAB base class that gets 2nd level arcane spells at level 3.

That does work in the theoretical sense, but I think it should at the very least have a note about this, because:

A) Death Master's significantly further afield than Arcane Hierophant itself,

B) I'm not aware of any way to reconcile Death Master's class features with Druid's code of conduct*. As such, such a character borders on unplayable in an actual game.

*Lords of Madness, for instance, has Aberration Wild Shape's flavour text suggesting some druids are okay with aberrations, but using undead as a druid is literally Blighter territory.

magic9mushroom
2019-02-05, 10:41 PM
Athasian Dragon from Dragon #339 is missing. Not sure if this is intentional due to being Dark Sun or an oversight.

The epic continuations of the DMG prestige classes are also missing. While none of the continuations in the ELH itself give true casting advancement, the 3.5 update booklet alters Loremaster to advance casting properly and provides epic progressions for Arcane Trickster, Eldritch Knight, Mystic Theurge and Red Wizard.

Troacctid
2019-02-05, 11:09 PM
That does work in the theoretical sense, but I think it should at the very least have a note about this, because:

A) Death Master's significantly further afield than Arcane Hierophant itself,

B) I'm not aware of any way to reconcile Death Master's class features with Druid's code of conduct*. As such, such a character borders on unplayable in an actual game.

*Lords of Madness, for instance, has Aberration Wild Shape's flavour text suggesting some druids are okay with aberrations, but using undead as a druid is literally Blighter territory.
Sure. Done.

Athasian Dragon from Dragon #339 is missing. Not sure if this is intentional due to being Dark Sun or an oversight.
Added.

The epic continuations of the DMG prestige classes are also missing. While none of the continuations in the ELH itself give true casting advancement, the 3.5 update booklet alters Loremaster to advance casting properly and provides epic progressions for Arcane Trickster, Eldritch Knight, Mystic Theurge and Red Wizard.
Ehhhh they don't really fit into the model of all the other prestige classes. I'm just going to leave them out.

Kalkra
2019-02-06, 12:38 AM
I salute you, person with far too much free time.

Great list. Also, I can't open the Encyclopedia thing you linked to. Is that just me?

It's at times like this that I feel like I should have something to say, but... It's good. Nothing to criticize, nothing to add, (at least not that I can think of). So yeah, I'm just gonna trail of awkwardly here...

magic9mushroom
2019-03-07, 07:27 AM
Master Arcane Artisan, Arcane Lord and World Guardian go on forever, and Celestial Paragon and Ordinator probably do (remember, the default for epic prestige classes is ∞ levels).

As with other epic classes, you can take as many levels in an epic prestige class as you desire.

Just like all other classes, you may take as many levels in an epic prestige class as you'd like.

Elven High Mage is written in a way which implies it only has ten levels, and Athasian Dragon and Netherese Arcanist definitely stop at the end of the table. They're the exception, not the rule.

Troacctid
2019-03-07, 12:35 PM
Master Arcane Artisan, Arcane Lord and World Guardian go on forever, and Celestial Paragon and Ordinator probably do (remember, the default for epic prestige classes is ∞ levels).

Elven High Mage is written in a way which implies it only has ten levels, and Athasian Dragon and Netherese Arcanist definitely stop at the end of the table. They're the exception, not the rule.
Updated. ✔

magic9mushroom
2019-03-07, 08:20 PM
Dispassionate Watcher of Chronepsis only advances divine.

magic9mushroom
2019-03-25, 11:53 PM
You've got Master Arcane Artisan and Celestial Paragon listed as being 3.0, but they were in fact updated to 3.5 here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20030810a).

FaerieGodfather
2019-04-19, 10:51 PM
Thanks for this! It's better than I expected to get!

EndlessKng
2019-08-12, 10:16 PM
This is awesome! I've wanted to do something like this but never had the time.

As a note, I did notice a small typo in the caster level progression for the paladins of Freedom, Tyranny, and Slaughter (should be column G going by the web version). Those are listed as 1/3, 1/4, and 1/5 instead of 1/2 - may have been a result of dragging the 1/2 from Paladin (sometimes it autofills). Also, Divine Mind has a -4 in that slot.

Troacctid
2019-08-12, 10:34 PM
This is awesome! I've wanted to do something like this but never had the time.

As a note, I did notice a small typo in the caster level progression for the paladins of Freedom, Tyranny, and Slaughter (should be column G going by the web version). Those are listed as 1/3, 1/4, and 1/5 instead of 1/2 - may have been a result of dragging the 1/2 from Paladin (sometimes it autofills). Also, Divine Mind has a -4 in that slot.
Fixed! The divine mind entry is correct—its caster level is equal to its level - 4.

St Fan
2019-08-14, 06:13 AM
Would you be willing to include in the list prestige classes from third-party books?

Like, for example, the Book of Erotic Fantasy?

Troacctid
2019-08-14, 03:28 PM
Well, I did include Pathfinder prestige classes, so apparently yes, but I'm not really interested in obtaining and digging through 3rd party books, so, eh.

In the hypothetical universe where I did do so, I would most likely only include officially licensed 3rd party content, which (to my knowledge) includes Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Kalamar, and Diablo II.

StevenC21
2019-08-14, 04:07 PM
Pardon me, but could someone perhaps explain how what all the "L" columns mean? What are all the "-", "1", "1/1", and "X" for?

Silvercrys
2019-08-14, 04:23 PM
Pardon me, but could someone perhaps explain how what all the "L" columns mean? What are all the "-", "1", "1/1", and "X" for?The "L" columns appear to be the level of the prestige class.

"1" means it advances spellcasting by 1 level at that level of the prestige class.

"1/1" means it advances spellcasting in two different classes (for Mystic Theurge, say).

"X" means the prestige class has no level for that point (usually because it ended at an earlier level).

"-" means the prestige class has more levels but doesn't advance casting at this one.

StevenC21
2019-08-14, 04:36 PM
That's what I thought... But it's completely borked for some classes, it appears.

Troacctid
2019-08-14, 04:52 PM
Which ones are borked?

StevenC21
2019-08-14, 05:51 PM
Please forgive me...

I was looking at the Apostle of Peace list... to compare against the Exalted Arcanist table. I'm very, very sorry for wasting your time.

Kalkra
2019-08-19, 12:33 AM
If I'm reading everything correctly, you have Maester as being enterable with any casting, whereas I'm pretty sure it's arcane only.

Troacctid
2019-08-19, 12:38 AM
If I'm reading everything correctly, you have Maester as being enterable with any casting, whereas I'm pretty sure it's arcane only.
It is in fact any casting! Of course you need an arcane caster level to get in, but as long as you can swing that, you're good for whatever class you want to advance.

noce
2019-08-19, 03:46 AM
Knight of the Weave is listed as divine, but it is an arcane caster.

Kalkra
2019-08-19, 09:28 AM
It is in fact any casting! Of course you need an arcane caster level to get in, but as long as you can swing that, you're good for whatever class you want to advance.

Weird. Normally it says it advances whatever class you could use to cast blah blah etc. Good to know.

Psyren
2019-08-20, 02:34 AM
Pathfinder has a bunch of PrCs (https://aonprd.com/PrestigeClasses.aspx) that imo get easily overlooked, some of which let you do some pretty cool/unique things. For example, Blackfire Adept is a 7/10 casting class (or 6/8 if you don't care about the capstone) that is focused on summoning and calling fiends, and it not only lets you exceed the cap for your binding spells with certain fiend subtypes, it also lets you punch through effects that usually block summoning like dimensional lock, forbiddance, antimagic field, and even dead magic zones. It also lets fiends that you summon access their own native summoning abilities.

Troacctid
2019-08-20, 10:58 PM
On the other hand, maintaining the PF sheet sounds like a lot of work. :smalltongue:

If you want, you can PM me your email and I can give you editing permissions for it.

Psyren
2019-08-21, 01:16 AM
On the other hand, maintaining the PF sheet sounds like a lot of work. :smalltongue:

If you want, you can PM me your email and I can give you editing permissions for it.

Sent! One of my behind-the-scenes pet projects is an overview of all the PF PrCs; a surprising number are 9/10 and 10/10 casting, and even among the ones that aren't, Prestigious Spellcaster (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/prestigious-spellcaster/) exists and is quite nice for some.

Troacctid
2019-08-21, 01:45 AM
Sent! One of my behind-the-scenes pet projects is an overview of all the PF PrCs; a surprising number are 9/10 and 10/10 casting, and even among the ones that aren't, Prestigious Spellcaster (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/prestigious-spellcaster/) exists and is quite nice for some.
Permission added! You should now be able to edit the Additive PrC (Pathfinder) sheet.

Paragon
2021-02-22, 04:47 AM
Awesome job, thanks it became my go to sheet whenever I feel like building something !

On that note, I've seen Arboreal Guardian & Deathwarden Chanter from Ghostwalk but what about the Eidoloncer "base" class ? I mean it's an odd one for sure but it does advance spellcasting

truemane
2021-02-22, 11:11 AM
Metamagic Mod: any PrC's that advance Necrothreading?