PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ideas for Challenges to face in a One Shot

Araediel
2016-06-29, 12:56 AM
I'm a first time DM writing a one shot campaign for four players. I'm using a simplified version of 5e, same mechanics but simpler and no magic anywhere in the world. It's essentially medieval fiction, so no magical creatures to fight. The basis of the plot is that there is a kingdom ruled by an evil king and a guy led a rebellion against him but was captured. The players' characters are being paid by someone to break this guy out, which they have a one hour window to do, and I need challenges for them to run into besides just fight this guard fight that guard. So far all I've got is a swarm of rats and maybe some attack dogs. I want the game to be fast paced and exciting, but I don't want it jammed with a bunch of the same thing. Are the three things enough? Do I need more? If yes what else should I include? Any help is appreciated

HatMadder
2016-07-10, 05:51 AM
Depending on how fast paced you want it, it could rule out a few fun (in my opinion) options. Getting the drawbridge down, finding a way to raise the portcullis, etc.
But to get a sense of urgency set up a chase scene once they're inside. There's rules for it in the dmg, but you could always make your own.
Have them run into regular people in the castle or hallways. They'd have to act quickly or they scream and alert guards.

If/when they get closer, in a jail/dungeon type area you can throw in other criminals yelling at them to free them, or trying to attack them if it's a communal cell.

If you're looking for more combat options, bears/owlbears/wolves/other roaming the jail/dungeon as escape deterrents.
Birds watching from above attack anybody who doesn't feed them.
Torturer is down in the dungeon just after finishing working on someone. Meets the party in bloody apron and holding torture tools. Fits the evil kingdom theme and gives a slightly different combat scenario. Add assistants for variety.

Trapped door: if broken open floor gives way (or something along those lines)

HidesHisEyes
2016-07-10, 12:08 PM
Lots of great ideas in that first reply.

Personally my advice would be to mind you don't put in TOO MANY challenges. I can't speak for anyone else but I have always found it very difficult to fit a whole adventure into a one-shot. If you plan to pack it full of fun stuff then be ready to be quite heavy on the exposition and not let the players faff around early on!