PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A +0 heightened spell?

Keral
2016-06-29, 07:49 AM
Hullo, I was wondering, can I apply heighten spell to a spell heitghtening it to the same level of the starting spell?

Basically applying metamagic to a spell without any benefit except increasing the casting time (for a sorcerer)?

Or does the:

A heightened spell has a higher spell level than normal
mean that I actually HAVE to increase it by at least 1?

Darrin
2016-06-29, 07:59 AM
Hullo, I was wondering, can I apply heighten spell to a spell heitghtening it to the same level of the starting spell?

No. The text specifies "higher spell level" and "increases the effective level". If the spell level isn't higher or being increased, then you can't use Heighten Spell.

Try adding Sanctum Spell first (while outside your sanctum) and then heighten it back to its original level. If the spell does damage, then something like Energy Substitution can be added without changing the effective level.

Keral
2016-06-29, 08:09 AM
Mh, I figured, tho it was worth a try. I'm gonna take substitute energy for it, but I wanted to see if I could accomplish that saving a feat :P

KillianHawkeye
2016-06-29, 02:15 PM
No. The text specifies "higher spell level" and "increases the effective level". If the spell level isn't higher or being increased, then you can't use Heighten Spell.

It more that you just aren't using it. If you want a spell to be the level it's already at, you have chosen not to use Heighten Spell.

Gildedragon
2016-06-29, 02:21 PM
Are you trying to get as many +0s as you can so as to Arcane Thesis?
Remember: it doesn't work for heighten spell

ahenobarbi
2016-06-29, 02:36 PM
Basically applying metamagic to a spell without any benefit except increasing the casting time (for a sorcerer)

I'm really curious how are you benefiting from increased casting time. Could you tell me?

Asrrin
2016-06-29, 02:48 PM
I'm really curious how are you benefiting from increased casting time. Could you tell me?

Probably Arcane fusion so he can get a quick action spell and a standard action spell due to it's wording. Another metamagic to use is invisible spell, I think that's +0.