PDA

View Full Version : Original System The Northern Realm Feedback

gtwucla
2016-06-29, 07:55 AM
So I've come to the end of a five year project that started with some homebrewing and ended up as an all-in-one campaign world, handbook, guide, and monster manual using the D20 system. For anyone that's interested I've posted a link to the short version, which includes the basic tone and gameplay. If you read through it or even glance at it, it'd be great to hear some feedback. Any thoughts are welcome.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8apaf0f9xo7zwm/The%20Northern%20Realm%20%28Free%20Version%29.pdf? dl=0

gtwucla
2016-06-29, 10:31 PM
And for a little background. This project started as a rules-lite version of 3.5 with a stronger emphasis on roleplaying versus dice rolling, in a setting heavily influenced by history, old folktales, and some of my favorite books, including the Silmarillion, the Taltos novels, Wheel of Time, and the Mists of Avalon. Now it's a game entirely on its own. Its based on the D20 system, but in comparison to traditional D&D and Pathfinder, there's less of an emphasis on numerical bonuses. What I've uploaded is only 68 of 730 pages, but hopefully the short version will convey the depth of the world underneath. It also includes all the basic rules for gameplay.

Final Hyena
2016-07-02, 05:50 AM
It's a shame there are no responses as this has taken a lot of time. My biggest concern (from skimming) is that (mechanically) it feels very much like D&D. Could you highlight some significant differences? Also is there a full version available anywhere?

Cluedrew
2016-07-03, 07:34 AM
I'm going to agree on the "it feels like D&D" thing. I only had time to skim it but everything I saw seemed to make this "D&D for a particular setting"... which is fine. I mean a lot of the details and tweaks I saw made me wish I had more time to read it, so I think you did a lot of the flavouring quite well.

gtwucla
2016-07-03, 11:23 AM
Hey, thanks for the responses. As ClueDrew pointed out this is a lot more like D&D for a particular setting rather than a whole new game system. I made a bit of a mistake emphasizing it as a unique game system instead of as a new world (so I've been spending a little time tailoring it the past few days), then I'll post it to DriveThru; which'll include a pretty comprehensive free version like the updated one i posted, but including things like spells and such.

It's D20. There are some marked differences from Pathfinder, 3.5, 5e, though, to make it its own thing. One is numerical bonuses, there are very few outside of spells. For example, enchanted weapons have abilities, but no pluses. Spells likewise function slightly different; they have flat DCs, they can be upgraded, counterspelling is muy importante. Combat functions more quickly. DCs and such are made easier for DMs to remember (Eg. Skill check DCs are in multiples of 5s and set at basically easy to hard).

Basically, without getting too much into it all, my basic intentions were this: make each class spit out unique characters (statistics-wise), even if they don't multiclass, make each class good at what they do, let people really do whatever they want, but ground it in a realistic setting, allow the DM to concentrate on where the story is going rather than the peripherals, and tie everything from spells to classes to items into the world by either having a story for them or hinting at one.

Edit: Here is an updated link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8apaf0f9xo7zwm/The%20Northern%20Realm%20%28Free%20Version%29.pdf? dl=0

gtwucla
2016-07-10, 01:55 AM
In a nutshell:

The Northern Realm is a large piece of work, but is based upon a few conceptual and narrative ideas. A modified version of the d20 rules works to accomplish those goals within the game. While the main work has been designed and organized to facilitate easy reference, this document hopes to provide a quick rundown of the game’s setting, rules, and play philosophy in order to aid players and story masters in participating in and designing adventures in the Northern Realm.

The continent of Rhen is the focus of the Northern Realm. A continent of immense size, Rhen is home to a wide array of landscapes and cultures, with long and often secret histories.
The primary mood of the setting is one of mystery– long forgotten histories, secretive societies and politics, enigmatic powers and spiritual entities. Mysteries abound in both large and small places– from the halls of merchant’s guilds to the huts of peasants.
The history of the Northern Realm is fragmented and the general population is mostly ignorant of its rich past. The main work reflects this, dropping hints and reveals throughout rather than presenting a straightforward timeline or explanation.
Rhen includes a number of human cultures, and the Northern Realm is written, though not limited to, the human perspective. While a variety of other races and cultures exist, including a number of aelf and dunaelf kingdoms, as well as the enclaves of half-men— none live together in societies of colorful melting pots.
Creatures play a significant role in the Northern Realm, beyond that of the traditional adventurer meets monster, monster fights adventurer scenario. Many are governed by their own laws, affect the world behind the scenes, often know the answers to a mystery, and have knowledge of past events— if one can decipher their meaning.
Magic in the form of spells is accomplished only by those with extensive training or through deals and pacts with inhuman entities. However, magic permeates everything, and there are many other means of producing a magic effect beyond spell casting. This might be accomplished though strong emotions, music, or tapping into the energy of life itself.
Magic is broken up into 3 categories - arcane, divine, and native. Arcane magic is derived from the Shadow Realm, a twisted reflection of reality. Divine magic is derived from the chaos of Quintessence. And Native magic is derived from the material world, both the living and the inanimate in equal measure.
There are 7 schools of magic and 4 natures of demon magic. There are also 3 non-traditional casters with access to spell-like effects, including witch powers, Havren mental abilities, and arcane knight forms.
Enchanted objects and places are rare and always related to significant events, people, or things of the past. There is no standard method to crafting magic items. Generally, the older something is the more powerful it has grown over time.
Character creation is based on a class and leveling system. Players choice and ability to customize is achieved through class abilities (often presented as option lists for the player). Characters can be further modified through the use of feats (attained every other level).
Character creation and advancement is based on levels but there is no form of experience points. Starting levels are determined by the Story Master or as a group before play. Players may then progress to higher levels at the Story Master’s discretion throughout the adventure or campaign. Often, however, adventures (and even whole campaigns) are played without any level advancements. Instead, advancement is more tangibly acquired through status and wealth.
Successes and failures are determined by a d20. D20 rolls are modified by a character’s save or acumen bonus based on the character’s class level and any relevant bonuses or penalties. The result of a d20 roll plus the applicable modifiers is then compared to a number (called the DC). If the roll meets or exceeds the DC, it is a success. If it doesn’t, it is a failure.
Generally, DCs are set in increments of 5, and range from very easy to extremely difficult. The DCs for spells or abilities are a flat 10 + ½ character or creature’s level + the applicable modifier, or an opposing check.
Combat is quick and intense. Each combat round is preceded with a 30 second decision round in which players state their intended action. After all the players are finished combat proceeds through the initiative order, determining those actions success or failure. If the situation no longer allows the character to perform their intended action, a player is allowed a 10 second decision to determine their new action or forfeit their turn.

Attack and initiative checks are modified by a character’s acumen bonus.
Spells can be modified by increasing their level. Their DCs are based on caster level. Metamagic results in a spell’s caster level being halved, and counterspelling simply requires the expenditure of a spell of equal or greater level.

Cluedrew
2016-07-19, 07:26 AM
Well I was reading through it, on again and off again, looking for stuff to comment on, when I realized the problem. No "hook".

I'm looking at it as mod of D&D based on the setting, the titular Northern Realm. Yet have read a good piece of the book I ultimately don't really care about the setting itself. I think that is a problem. The introduction doesn't say much about Rhen as a whole. In fact that part can be divided into two parts: an essay on how much magic is in the setting and a list of campaign hooks. Neither of which gives me a feel for what the overall setting is or makes me want to find out more.

Also about the magic essay: "Strange magical creatures are as much legend in this world as ours. And yet, the Free Realm is famous for its school of magic..." This is a direct quote, you go from magic effectively does not exist to the common person to you can go to school for it. Now even assuming that is what is both those lines actually mean, those things aren't impossible to put together in a setting. Still kind of weird though.

So a bigger introduction to the setting itself is needed. A single page or even less than that may be enough for the introduction, but it should be there giving an overall view of the setting. On top of that you may want to have a setting/lore chapter. You have lots of bits of lore in this book but I am left wanting for more "big picture" information (or perhaps general information) about the setting. The "ten ideas that govern the northern realm" is really the only general information you have and that is not a lot, plus it is very conceptual.

P.S. By the way I think the numbers at the bottom of the page put chapter 1 at page 8, and seem to be off by 1 though out the entire book, you might want to look into that.

gtwucla
2016-07-21, 09:54 AM
Well I was reading through it, on again and off again, looking for stuff to comment on, when I realized the problem. No "hook".

I'm looking at it as mod of D&D based on the setting, the titular Northern Realm. Yet have read a good piece of the book I ultimately don't really care about the setting itself. I think that is a problem. The introduction doesn't say much about Rhen as a whole. In fact that part can be divided into two parts: an essay on how much magic is in the setting and a list of campaign hooks. Neither of which gives me a feel for what the overall setting is or makes me want to find out more.

Also about the magic essay: "Strange magical creatures are as much legend in this world as ours. And yet, the Free Realm is famous for its school of magic..." This is a direct quote, you go from magic effectively does not exist to the common person to you can go to school for it. Now even assuming that is what is both those lines actually mean, those things aren't impossible to put together in a setting. Still kind of weird though.

So a bigger introduction to the setting itself is needed. A single page or even less than that may be enough for the introduction, but it should be there giving an overall view of the setting. On top of that you may want to have a setting/lore chapter. You have lots of bits of lore in this book but I am left wanting for more "big picture" information (or perhaps general information) about the setting. The "ten ideas that govern the northern realm" is really the only general information you have and that is not a lot, plus it is very conceptual.

P.S. By the way I think the numbers at the bottom of the page put chapter 1 at page 8, and seem to be off by 1 though out the entire book, you might want to look into that.

That's a good point. I haven't really wrapped it up in a nice pretty bow for the reader. And also, I see your point about the rarity of magic creatures and fame of the Free Realm's magic school. The thought process was something along the lines of walking through a forest and not seeing any animals sort of deal, but the wording is on both ends of the sentence is too strong. I've been working on it for a long time and with no real end in sight. I put it out there, get it out there, so essentially I'm saying I'll keep working on it, making it more its own thing, so thanks for the feedback. My next step is to go through the magic and restructure it. I'm thinking of stripping down the levels and building (maybe to 4) and around a give and take system that can affect the world in unintended ways, then build around that.

khadgar567
2016-07-21, 10:13 AM
classes are weak they have no meat

gtwucla
2016-07-22, 04:31 AM
classes are weak they have no meat

What does that mean? (no snarkiness intended)

Cluedrew
2016-07-22, 07:39 AM
That's a good point. I haven't really wrapped it up in a nice pretty bow for the reader.Yeah, there are a lot of things you can leave for later, but the introduction and getting across the information that puts the rest into context is rather important. Actually I would count it as more than a "pretty bow" because of its importance. I have a lot of experience of people having no idea what I'm talking about. There is information you have to get across before you start talking about the details, and I think some of that is missing.

The magic rebuild also sounds interesting, admittedly I'm not quite sure what you are planning but you seem to have a few interesting ideas.

gtwucla
2016-07-22, 08:55 AM
Yeah, there are a lot of things you can leave for later, but the introduction and getting across the information that puts the rest into context is rather important. Actually I would count it as more than a "pretty bow" because of its importance. I have a lot of experience of people having no idea what I'm talking about. There is information you have to get across before you start talking about the details, and I think some of that is missing.

The magic rebuild also sounds interesting, admittedly I'm not quite sure what you are planning but you seem to have a few interesting ideas.

Thanks, though I didn't mean to downplay the significance of being more concise in the intro. That's partly why i added a document about 'Northern Realm in a Nutshell' (I've already published it so i can't rewrite the intro now). Once I've rebuilt the magic and subsequent mechanics, I'll definitely return to the intro for the 'second edition,' but that'll probably be another year or two down the road. At the moment I'm taking this as a learning experience.