PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone played a sorclock

Sir cryosin
2016-06-29, 09:11 AM
I want to play a sorcerer but I want a few lvs in warlock for eb goodness as my go to damage. Why sorcerer you ask well it because meta-magic my friend. So I would like all y'all find people opinions strategies horse advice on a build like this what would you consider a good race a good background a good subclass a good Patron and what levels the level cap will probably be 10 this character will probably be played if my character in The Curse of strahd or in the new adventure that's coming out the thunder king

Herobizkit
2016-06-30, 04:41 AM
A sorlock is great. You won't need more than 2 level in Warlock unless you REALLY want a fantastic scout/Ritual Casting/all the melee weapons.

* Sorcerer levels boost your spell slots significantly; Hex becomes more readily available as a result.
* A Wild Mage is a great way to get some fairly consistent Advantage on your EB attack rolls.
* For raw damage, Demon Pact/Fire Dragon Sorcerer with the Elemental Affinity (Fire) feat will win a lot. Human variant for this one though - the feat is almost too good to pass up. Bonus points if you Tiefling for all that grit flavor though.
* Chromatic Orb is a great all-purpose damage spell if you can find a 50 gp diamond.

* Strahd is a more RP-focused adventure than the others. Skill checks will help you far more than raw damage.
* No idea what Giants is going to give you other than Giants. ^_^

Klorox
2016-06-30, 07:36 AM
I did, briefly. The damage you can dish out, at range, is insane.

3 levels of warlock, the rest sorcerer. It doesn't matter which patron or what sorcerer bloodline.

I chose GOO and Dragon, I believe. I chose pact of Tome so I could be SAD on CHA, and use Shillelagh if forced into melee, which never happened.

Hex, EB, and any warlock spells you do t use get channeled into sorcerer spell points.

Dalebert
2016-06-30, 08:24 AM
My reasons for doing it were originally driven by Devil's Sight and the synergy of short rest spells slots that can be used for more sorcery points, i.e. the sorcerer capstone at 7th level. I ended up not bothering with Devil's Sight which I'm finding to be surprisingly over-rated. I went to 3rd because I wanted 2nd level slots and ritual spells to round out a very bare spells known list. I went fiend for more fire spells and the temp hp which seemed like the best 1st level warlock ability considering I wouldn't go past 3.

Check this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20943678&postcount=50) for the ridiculous things you can do by swapping slots for points and points for slots when you have the opportunity to take multiple short rests while everyone else is long resting.

Also, I didn't take EB-enhancing invocations. I decided to run with firebolt as my primary cantrip since I get cha bonus dmg to fire for free as draconic (gold). It can also be twinned unlike EB as can Hex. I can twin hex and then twin firebolt plus get cha bonus. It's quite effective for dishing damage for low resource costs, and I have TONS of resources thanx to the above trick.

He may be my favorite character now, though I know that's largely also due to his personality which I developed in conjunction with some of the kooky things he can do with metamagic combined with sorc and lock spells.

Theodoxus
2016-06-30, 01:56 PM
Sorclock goes to 11 if you can convince the DM to allow spell points. 6 regenerating spell points on a short rest that can fuel anything? Yes please!