PDA

View Full Version : GITP Monster Competition XI - Beings of Legend (VOTE NOW!)

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-01, 06:20 AM
Beings of Legend

http://my.photosleeve.com/TheVorpalTribble-albums/album03/aik.jpg
In off the moors, down through the mist bands, god-cursed Grendel came greedily loping. The bane of the race of men roamed forth, hunting for prey in the high hall...

Stories are told of legendary beings. Spread by word of mouth around the fire, sung in great halls, or whispered in the dark of night. Some are told to be as majestic as the setting sun, others darker and more ominous than a rumbling thunderhead. Whether terrifying or comforting, immense in stature or unimpressing to the eye, they compel both awe and wonder. Gather around and hear their tale...

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

The contest begins with the posting of this thread and will continue until Noon of June 24th (EST).

Soon after a poll will be opened for everyone to vote for their favorite that will last until midnight of the 31st.

Rules

1. You will be creating a 'unique' D&D monster. This contest will be a little different, so read on carefully. This contest requires two things.

I. All entries this month must be Epic-leveled. Any beings whose Challenge Rating is 21 or higher is considered an epic creature. For the purpose of the contest this does not include deities or demi-gods of any kind, though their avatars are allowed.

For rules on Epic-levels click here (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm).

Basically there is little difference in monster making except epic creatures may now take epic feats and gain special types of qualities and abilities, for example, damage reduction 10/epic.

II. All entries must also be done as an Epic. This means that along with the creature's stats and ability a short story, poem, saga, etc., must be written to go along with it.

Creature and Epic will be voted on seperately, one for the best creature and the other for the most well-done story.

Sample Epic Creatures
Oomn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11303)
Wai (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10350)

2. The entry must include name, complete stat-block, physical description, epic-type background, and detailed combat behavior if any. A plot hook or similiar in addition is optional. Incomplete entries will be disqualified upon the deadline.

3. Entries must be 3.5 edition, using the standard format listed below (not that new one seen in the Monster Manual IV).

4. Post all entries on this thread. Any and All Comments and discussions will take place on a seperate thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1499183).

5. One entry per participant.

6. Entries copied from some other source (splatbook, alternate website, etc) will be disqualified. All entries must be a new creation, not one already posted. Merely adding class levels or templates to an already published or posted creature does not count as a new monster.

7. No reserving posts. Feel free to post a creature and tweak it, but you have to at least have the basic beast already done.

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/300W/images2.deviantart.com/i/2004/04/1/c/Nebulae_test.jpg

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-01, 06:25 AM
Vorpal Tribble's Guide To Making Monsters (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43009)

As well, here is the standard 3.5 epic monster format. Only complete entries will be accepted. If there are any questions feel free to ask me or post queries in the GITP Contest Chat Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1499183).

-=-=-=-

Name

<Size> <Type>
Hit Dice:
Initiative:
Speed: (# squares)
Armor Class: (), touch, flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple:
Attack:
Full Attack:
Space/Reach:
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities:
Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +
Abilities: Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
Skills:
Feats:
Epic Feats:
Environment:
Organization:
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
Alignment:
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

Description/background/characteristics

Combat

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Plot Hook/Story

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-04, 05:31 AM
Mu-ha-ha! First post. I tried not to make it unusably powerful, I really did.

"The journal was just what you'd expect to find in such a down market used book shop, and then even worse. The binding had been completly ruined and repaired using some kind of adhesive sap and the edges tattered beyond the recognition of geometry. The youth put it down and turned to the shop's gnomish clerk.

'Who brought this in?'

'A sea captain, said he'd won it in a card game'

Ignoring the disatisfactory answer and opened the journal. The faded text claimed to record the thoughts of an explorer in a far eastern jungle and the smell of the velum backed up such a claim.

'You want the book, you buy it' barked the clerk.

The youth handed away a sovereign and placed the book in his bag and returned home to read it. To his disapointment little of the text was eligable but he read what he could.

57/4/09
I don't like something about this jungle. It looked sparse at first but if we go in any further we might be better to walk on top the trees than try to squeese through them. It just gets worse the furthur east we go. We lost two more men to snakes, making a total loss of seven from the expedition party. I don't blame the others for wanting to mutiny and head back home, but what will I tell my Ma' if I return empty handed.

57/4/17
The trees have thined out now. The jungle is dense but there no longer seems to be any signs of it becoming impassable. I would feel safe if it wasn't for the doctor's suggestion that the jungle was more passable here due to the animals keeping it in check.

57/4/27
Today we feasted on a large cat like creature with red and black fur. The beast took at least ten javalins to bring it down. The animals have so far been wary of us but there's little doubt we would have no chance against a proper attack.

57/5/07
Today we came across a stone tower-like structure. It was completely overgrown with moss and supported by a large tree growing through it but is unmistakably of humanoid craftsmanship. We've deceided to camp here for a few days in order to investigate.

57/5/09
Today our investigations uncovered a large building. The tower appears to have merely been the building's spire, at least three stories lie beneath, completely choked with dead trees, themselves smothered as their bodies blocked each other from the light of the sun. We may have been mistaken about the true ground level for half a month and have already pased several completly swallowed ruins.

57/5/11
Broke camp today and are continuing eastwards.

57/5/22
The animals came at last. They slaughtered half the expedition before we drove them off. The leader told us to move on quickly before they come back to claim the bodies.

57/5/29
Passed a high stone wall. The doctor used some chalk to trace the path of some peeling paint. He's intepreted as some kind of hastily made warning signal. I wish they'd put it at the begining of this stupid experdition. We've spotted smoke in the distance and I've been chosen for the investigation team.

57/6/02
We came across the remanents of a flash fire. Broken masonry is prevalent among to ash and a small excervation uncovered some foundations. Already green shoots stand out among the soot. My only comparison to what I have seen today is my grandpa's tale of the great earthquake. The greatest works of man shattered in an instant.

57/7/09
For the past few days our journey has been up hill. I heard one of us, an old soldier, remark that the locale reminded him of one of the great fortress cities of the north.

57/7/15
I can't stand this expedition any longer. Today we encountered a Wight dressed in discoloured rags, pure white flesh still clinging to its bones. Our cleric tried to draw it off but just encouraged it to follow us. We lost it after a few hours but the sun has set and we're on guard with torches in case it tries something.

57/7/29
We've come to the overgrown ruins of a great castle. The structure stands atop volcanic rock but even though no tree can reach it the whole thing is covered in moss.

57/7/02
The doctor used controlled fires to burn away a section of moss. He's encouraged a similar warning sign, as well as a hurried depiction of a great beast.

57/7/09
Hordes of zombies assaulted the camp today. They were easy to dispatch but their numbers seem limitless. We're down to 13 men now.

57/7/12
The doctor traced the zombies to an entrance to the fortresses dungeons. There are no plants down there but the energies we've all been feeling but dreading to admit are stronger than ever.

The youth noticed a change in colour of the ink, from standard blue to an even more faded magenta.

57/7/14
We've explored 3 levels of catacombs and reached a part of the castle full of decayed vegetable matter. The upper levels seem to have been under some kind of preservation charm and we've found some volumes of ancient text. We can't decipher them but we've deduced that the fortress was built by humans at a similar level of advancement to us. The doctor was able to work out some of their pantheon. It turns out that the warning symbols we've seen earlier was of a idol of their chief god being tossed aside but some great force.

57/7/15
The cleric has broken out some kind of magic amulet he's stored. He claims its made from an earth elemental's heart and will allow him to effectively 'dive' into the rock in order to explore the burried levels.

57/7/17
The zombies returned. The doctor and the others are all gone now. My only hope is that the cleric is able to return.

57/7/22
The Cleric came back at last but he appears to have left his mind with him. The poor fellow doesn't even remember how to swallow but he started drawing something, he drew some kind of sleeping animal and then began completing the warning sign we'd found in the fortress above. Cities turned to dust in an instant, the power of the gods useless before the might of the sleeper. He then passed away, before handing me some kind of staff he had found.

57/7/29
I've had another look through the preserved tomes and found a picture of the staff. It appears to be a weapon of considerable power. After searching throw our supplies I found a magical device the doctor had been hiding. Apparently it can be used to send objects back the the ships we came here on. I might be able to send myself but I feel needed somewhere else. I'm taking the staff and the clerics amulet down to the deepest levels, to see if I can find this 'sleeper' and make him, it, whatever pay for all this destruction. I hope this journal makes it back to the ships

The youth closed over the journal. The book didn't fit on his shelves and was far too scruffy for his mother to let him display. Beside, it felt odd and smelled of whatever unorthodox substance its author has switched to using for ink. He headed off to a nearby bookshop hoping to dispose of it."

Ilthslamael

Colossal+ Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 72d10+2880 (3600 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 160 ft. (32 squares)
Armor Class: 83 (+80 natural +1 Dex -8 size), touch 3, flat-footed 82
Base Attack/Grapple: +77/+129
Attack: Slam +106 melee (3d20+54, 19-20/x2+2d6) or Bite +105 melee (16d6+54, 20/x2)
Full Attack: Slam +106 melee (3d20+54, 19-20/x2+2d6) and 4 Stomps +103 melee (8d8+18, 20/x2)
Space/Reach: 30 ft. by 80 ft./30 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, Gaze, Ram, Roar, Summon Ravids, Swallow Whole, Trample
Special Qualities: Abomination traits, Consecration Aura, Damage Reduction 30/Cold Iron and Epic, Divine Resistance, Fast Healing 400, Fire and Cold Resistance 20, Growth Aura, Magical Beast Traits, SR 82
Saves: Fort +78, Ref +39, Will +38
Abilities: Str 82, Dex 12, Con 90, Int 16, Wis 30, Cha 51
Skills: Climb +111, Concentration +115, Intimidate +20, Knowledge (the planes) +78, Survival +85, Swim +111
Feats: Ability Focus (breath weapon), Blind-Fight, Cleave, Endurance, Die Hard, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (Slam), Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Great Cleave, Multiattack, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Slam).
Epic Feats: Devastating Critical (Slam), Dire Charge, Epic Endurance, Epic Prowess x5, Epic Will, Overwhelming Critical (Slam), Penetrate Damage Reduction (Adamantine and Silver), Superior Initiative.
Environment: Warm Forest
Organization: Solitary, or with 100-10,000 Ravids
Challenge Rating: 70
Treasure: None
Alignment: True Neutral
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: -
You behold a gigantic mound of earth, covered in overgrown trees and meter deep carpets of moss. Only when it opens its mouth wide do you realise that you are faced with some form of animal.

Ilthslamael is an Abomination from the earliest days of the universe. The creature is 80 ft. long, resembling a hybrid of a monitor lizard with a hornless rhinoceros covered in thick calluses resembling armoured plates. Usually Ilthslamael is covered in unnaturally large vegetation. A prototype for all living organisms, Ilthslamael was created with a gateway to the positive energy plane as its heart. As a representative of one half of the natural order, Ilthslamael is not strictly immortal; Ilthslamael’s vitality is as infinite as the positive energy plane itself. If not slain by Epic adventurers, Ilthslamael is doomed to die when the barriers between the planes are utterly decayed and the Positive and Negative Energy planes converge into each other, finally ending the cycle of creation and destruction as well as destroying what is left of the great wheel in the fallout.
As an Abomination, Ilthslamael may have Divine Rank 0 if Divine rules are being used. See the Abomination description for details on using Abominations in conjunction with the Divine rules.
Ilthslamael speaks no languages, though it understands all the tongues of outsiders.

Combat
In battle, Ilthslamael will attempt to defeat opponents as quickly as possible. Ilthslamael attacks only in defence. If pestered by flying targets, Ilthslamael will summon a horde of Ravids and send them to grapple the caster and bring him down so that Ilthslamael can eat them. Ilthslamael has the following special qualities and attacks.

Abomination and Magical Beast Traits: Ilthslamael has all the qualities of the Magical Beast Type as well as most of those of Abominations, excepting spell-like abilities and regeneration. See the Monster Manual and Epic level handbook for details.
Breath Weapon [Ex]: Ilthslamael has a breath weapon consisting of a 100 ft. long cone of positive energy, which it can use every 1d20 rounds. Corpses within the area are animated as deathless. Living creatures are healed of 72d6 damage and must make a fortitude saving throw (DC 88) or die and become animated as deathless. Undead creatures within range suffer 72d6 damage with a reflex save (DC 88) for half damage. The area of Ilthslamael’s breath weapon is also affected by a permanent Consecrate Spell that can only be removed with a Desecrate spell and a DC 72 caster level check and even then, the area of consecration is reduced only by the area of the Desecrate spell.
Consecration Aura [Su]: Ilthslamael is constantly surrounded by a 120 ft. in radius Consecrate spell. This effect lingers for 2d20 hours after Ilthslamael leaves the area.
Growth Aura [Su]: Any animal or plant that spends a week living within a mile and a half of Ilthslamael (regardless of whether Ilthslamael is awake) is subject to a permanent, undispelable Animal Growth or Plant Growth spell, where appropriate. Vegetation within the aura grows at 8 times its normal rate, to a maximum of 4 times its normal size. Ecological succession is similarly accelerated, allowing Ilthslamael to reclaim land from deserts.
Divine Resistance [Ex]: When subject to a Divine Salient ability (see the Divine Rules for details), Ilthslamael may make a Will Save (DC 10 + gods Divine Rank + Gods charisma modifier) in order to negate the ability entirely, in addition to any saving throw the ability normally allows. This ability may not be negated, no matter a diety’s Divine Rank.
Gaze [Su]: Ilthslamael has a gaze attack that creates a Greater Dispelling effect as though cast by a 72nd level Sorcerer that affects any who look into Ilthslamael’s eyes. As an attack action, Ilthslamael can focus its gaze into a beam with 1000 ft. range that produces the same effect. If Ilthslamael continues to make attack actions for 5 rounds (and is not distracted) then the effect increases in potency to that of an Antimagic Field. Ilthslamael can maintain concentration on his gaze by making attack actions for up to 40 rounds (his Constitution modifier).
Ram [Ex]: Ilthslamael’s slam attack deals quadruple damage when used at the end of a charge.
Roar (Ex): Ilthslamael can roar as a full round action and may continue roaring for up to 40 rounds (his constitution modifier) as long as he is not distracted (though his concentration bonus and Epic Endurance feat make him hard to distract). For each round he roars, all creatures within on the same plane of existence as Ilthslamael must make a fortitude save (DC 86) or be stunned the round and must make an additional fortitude save once Ilthslamael stops roaring or remain stunned for 1d20 rounds. Creatures gain a +8 bonus on their saving throw for every half of a mile between them and Ilthslamael. Buildings and mountains take 36d6 points of sonic damage a round, halved for every half a mile they stand away from Ilthslamael. After roaring, Ilthslamael cannot roar again for a number of rounds equal to 1d6 +1 for every round he roared.
Summon Ravids [Su]: As a standard action, Ilthslamael can summon 2d20 Paragon Ravids from the positive energy plane. Summoned Ravids last 1d10 hours, or double that if they remain within a Consecrate effect such as the spell or Ilthslamael’s Consecration Aura.
Swallow Whole [Ex]: If Ilthslamael begins its turn with an opponent held in its mouth (grappled), it can attempt a new grapple check (as though attempting to pin the opponent). If it succeeds, it swallows its prey, and the opponent takes bite damage. The opponent can be up to two size categories smaller than Ilthslamael. The swallowed creature is considered to be grappled, while Ilthslamael is not. A swallowed creature can try to cut its way free with any light slashing or piercing weapon by dealing 80 damage, or it can just try to escape the grapple. The Armour Class of the interior of Ithslamael is 40. If the swallowed creature escapes the grapple, success puts it back in Ilthslamael’s mouth, where it may be bitten or swallowed again. Swallowed creatures are fully healed (as though by Greater Restoration and Heal spells cast by a 72nd level caster) but must make a DC 86 fortitude save each round or be instantly digested, its body and soul broken down into positive energy. A creature that dies in this way is reabsorbed into the Positive Energy Plane through the Gate inside Ilthslamael and it cannot be resurrected except by a wish or miracle spell.
Trample [Ex]: When Ilthslamael uses the Overrun action, each target he knocks down suffers 6d20+54 damage.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Ilthslamael can be used as a powerful foe for an Epic Evil party. When awake, Ilthslamael tends to devour entire nations of people and consume rain forests before falling asleep once more until it fully digests its meal, a process that can take thousands of years. Where Ilthslamael is found, it is inevitably in conjunction with thick vegetation.
Locations for Ilthslamael may be the heart of an impenetrable jungle at the edge of the world, a hidden blooming paradise in an uncharted desert, the ruins of an ancient city completely swallowed by plant growth, an ocean rift covered by kelp the size of skyscrapers or a ravaged plane of the Abyss inhabited by Fiendish Shambling Mounds. Ilthslamael can be used as a guardian for an artefact entrusted to him by a deity, the only creatures which Ilthslamael holds any respect for. Ilthslamael may also happen to be sleeping on a vital location for the campaign. Ilthslamael does not have to be in a secluded area. He could be sleeping under the capital city of a prosperous agricultural nation or near an oft’-visited holy site. His Consecration Aura may be being exploited by a good organisation unaware of its true origins. As long as the party does not actually wish to fight him, Ilthslamael may be even used in a non-Epic campaign, especially if he remains asleep. Ilthslamael can be used as a plot point to explain the existence of Dire or Legendary animals within a certain area.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-07-04, 03:28 PM
When first the universe was created, all possibilities lay before it. New objects and influences were constructed and created, and soon creatures walked upon the surface, gazed at the heavens, and realised their insignificance.

Because nothing can last eternally that must be created. Once this thought, however fleeting, crossed the minds of merely a single, sentient, creature, an avatar was created. One who could not be prevented from their task, one who could not be destroyed, one whose entire goal in their existence was to ease the passage of the living into the quiet solitude of death eternal.

Many names were given to this new, terrifying force. Some called it "the Shadow", others called it "the Pale Soldier". Most call it, simply, "Death"

Death has always existed, and likely always will, until his own time finally catches him at the end of existence entire. He is a diligent worker, and wanders the multiverse carrying his scythe and a parchment that keeps him apprised of those he must relocate spiritually. After aeons of this work, he has become a fairly tired person, and delights in the time he is able to spend in his home.

Few know of how the first stories of Death came to be, for certainly few have returned to tell of him. But those that linger near the dying, passing through themselves only to be rescued at the last moment by some divine force or medical remedy, speak of him with a hushed whisper. The dark ghostly figure of massive size, holding an oustretched, skeletal, hand upon the dead nearby. Seeing a whisper of white smoke spew from the victim's still mouth, as the figure turns to those that would infringe upon his work.

The eyes, those horrible staring eyes, eyes that see into eternity. Empty, glinting like stars in the dark abyss, sending a shiver down your spine. Those that are rushed back from the brink, regale their fellows with a profoundly new sense of their own mortality, and rightly so. For what they rarely speak of, is the claws of the creature, reaching for them, the world dimming, the body growing cold, time suspended in the instant, and the horrid glinting abyss...

Death
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/Grim.jpg
Large Outsider (Extraplanar, Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 20d8+120 (210 HP)
Initiative: +15 (+11 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: Fly 60 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 29 (+11 Dex, -1 Size, +9 Deflection), touch 20, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +22/-
Attack: Incorporeal touch +16 melee (2d6 plus 2d8 Constitution drain), Scythe +7 melee or +7 ranged (Line of sight) (2d4+9 plus 1d6 cold, 19-20/x4 plus 3d10 cold, Vorpal)
Full Attack: Incorporeal touch +16 melee (2d6 plus 2d8 Constitution drain), Scythe +7 melee or +7 ranged (Line of sight) (2d4+9 plus 1d6 cold, 19-20/x4 plus 3d10 cold, Vorpal)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Constitution drain, Entrapping Aura
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., energy of balance, incorporeal traits, lawful repose, lifesense 60 ft., non nemo, spell-like abilities, unnatural aura, wisened resolve, DR 30/-, SR 40
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +23, Will +18
Abilities: Str -, Dex 33, Con -, Int 22, Wis 23, Cha 19
Skills: Diplomacy +28*, Disguise +20, Gather Information +22, Hide +26, Intimidate +28, Knowledge (arcana) +19, Knowledge (architecture and engineering) +20, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +19, Knowledge (geography) +20, Knowledge (history) +20, Knowledge (local) +19, Knowledge (nature) +19, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +20, Knowledge (religion) +20, Knowledge (the planes) +20, Listen +27, Search +29*, Sense Motive +29, Spot +31, Survival +17 (+19 when following tracks)*
Feats: Alertnessb, Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Greater Weapon Focus (scythe)b, Greater Weapon Specialisation (scythe)b, Improved Initiativeb, Improved Natural Attack (incorporeal touch), Mobility, Spring Attack, Track, Weapon Focus (scythe)b, Weapon Specialisation (scythe)b
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary (Though usually accompanied by 2 Shadesteel Golems)
Challenge Rating: 50
Treasure: None, Scythe of the Reaper (see below)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Level Adjustment: –

A large creature seemingly composed entirely of shadow appears before you. Set deeply inside its incorporeal hood you see two twinkling lights like distant red stars among an endless nebula, and a pair of almost skeletal arms emerge from within its shoal. It speaks in a deep, booming voice “Your time is up”…

Death is prevalent in every culture, religion, and plane. No matter where you are, you cannot escape death at one point or another in your life; his entire profession is based on the fact that nothing, not even immortality lasts forever. Once a creature’s life is over, he snuffs out their last breath and leads them to the world beyond for the trial of their life.
He can transform into other creatures, and usually does so to get closer to his ‘customers’ or to simply spend time off. Of note is the fact that, despite being an Outsider, Death has no home plane, and so never acquires the Native subtype regardless of location. He is very learned and knowledgeable, having spent thousands of years in the many realms, but it has been many millennia since he took corporeal form and experienced life personally. As such, he can sometimes seem very depressed, but otherwise is extremely formal and proper, aided by his experience with the living. Death speaks and understands all languages, including secret languages. He always speaks in the most appropriate language to his customers.
When facing Death, a customer is allowed to challenge him for their life, or continue on to their trial. If they are not alone, true comrades may instead challenge him, but no one has ever won. Ordinarily, Death is an invisible entity rarely seen except to solidify the legend and aura of his existence. However, having spent aeons in the darkness, he prefers it to lighter areas, so is loathe to enter sunlit regions (Not merely a daylight spell), and will often hurry to dispatch someone in the light. This can sometimes lead to him becoming visible to all around because of neglecting his invisibility.

Combat
Death usually makes good use of his touch attack to reduce his opponent’s Constitution modifier, and consequently their Fortitude saving throw, before using finger of death on them, or power word kill if their hit points drop low enough. However, as he usually only appears to those about to die, he usually just uses his touch attack to finish them off. Death instinctively knows the present location of any client (Past, present, or future).
Constitution Drain (Su): Living creatures hit by Death’s incorporeal touch attack must succeed on a DC 37 Fortitude save or take 2d8 points of Constitution drain. The save DC is Charisma-based. On each such successful attack, Death gains 5 temporary hit points.
Energy of Balance (Ex): Death is so finely tuned to the cosmic forces that drive him, both positive and negative, that any effect using such energies, including spells with the Darkness and Light descriptors, heals him by 1 point of damage for each point it would otherwise deal. He is immune to all enchantment effects, and is immune to other effects as an Undead creature. This immunity functions as spell immunity.
Entrapping Aura (Ex): Death emits a distinct aura that allows him to prevent his target(s) from escaping magically, and can even make nanoseconds seemingly pass like decades. As an immediate action, Death can trap up to 100 HD of creatures per HD in this field, when released (A swift action) only a single round has passed. In addition, Death can use this field to prevent up to 100 HD of creatures per HD from using magic to escape, such as Plane Shift or Teleport, no spell with the teleportation descriptor functions for a creature in this field, and temporal magic (Such as Time Stop and Celerity) simply does not function (Though spell slots are still used up if a creature attempts to use them). Death can use either of these effects simultaneously or individually at his option.
Lawful Repose: Death is immune to all effects that allow a Fortitude save, unless he wishes to be affected. His spell-like abilities are exempt from this ability.
Lifesense (Su): Death notices and locates living creatures within 60 feet, just as if he possessed the blindsight ability. He also senses the strength of their life force automatically, as if he had cast deathwatch.
Non Nemo (Ex): Anyone who successfully kills Death must take his place. When he dies, a burst of energy is implanted in the character(s) who killed him. Every minute, they must make a Fortitude save against DC 40, this DC increases by +1 for every previous attempt. A failed save means that the character(s) transform immediately into an exact duplicate of Death, complete with memories. Constructs and Undead (As well as other creatures immune to Fortitude saves) are not immune to this effect, though their creators may be affected if they were specificaly ordered to kill Death. When chains of command, such as a familiar of a wizard that creates a Homunculus to kill Death, the person who gave the initial order is the first affected. Death, once regenerated so, continues his work as always. The character(s) altered this way cannot be raised or ressurected, except by the intervention of a deity. This serves as punishment for killing Death. If more than 1 character destroys Death, only 1 character is transformed into Death and the others simply vanish into nothing, receiving the same afterlife as the single character.
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At will – death knell (DC 21), erase, finger of death (DC 26), plane shift (DC 26), programmed amnesia (DC 23), shapechange (Death keeps his own Dexterity score and supernatural abilites when shapechanged), simulacrum (Death's simulacrums only last until their purpose has been fulfilled before disintegrating), superior invisibility (self only), teleport, greater. 10/day – power word kill, slay living (DC 24). Caster level 20th. The save DC is Charisma based.
Unnatural Aura (Ex): Animals, whether wild or domesticated, can sense the unnatural presence of Death at a distance of 30 feet. They will not willingly approach nearer than that and panic if forced to do so; they remain panicked as long as they are within that range.
Wisened Resolve (Ex): Death applies his Wisdom modifier to all Hit Die in place of his Constitution modifier.
Skills: *Death has a +8 racial bonus on Diplomacy, Search, and Survival checks

Scythe of the Reaper: The scythe of the reaper is Death's personal scythe, and is considered a Major Artifact. It is treated as a +5 Scythe with the Ghost Touch, Keen, Merciful, Returning, Throwing, Vorpal, and Icy Burst special abilities, and the Distant Shot epic special ability. Additionally, anyone other than Death who wields it acquires 3d6 negative levels permanently.

Personality
Death has spent countless aeons, hurrying the dying and the dead to their ultimate ends. As such, he has a fairly bleak view of mortal existence, knowing full well that he personally will outlive any life that should appear. However, he admires the persistence of mortal life, its perennial drive to continue living, and its curious natures. As an agent of universal law, he has a profound regard for rules, and takes an instant dislike towards anyone that breaks even the smallest of rulings, a dislike that often results in a near-instantaneous "spiritual relocation" (As he calls it).

Death makes his home in a personal demiplane, though this does not serve as his home plane, merely his home. Within the demiplane is his reading room, stocked with books spanning countless millenia of written words, his private collection of hour glasses, each of which tracks the flow of life for a mortal in existence elsewhere (So you can imagine there are quite a few), and his elaborately designed stables, in which he keeps his personal steed, Alep.

Plot hook
The elderly Archmage Laurel de'Camphor is nearing his end, and has called out to adventurers across the land to stave off his end until he can finally finish his unified theory of the Laws of Magic and Universal Action. However, what he hasn't mentioned, is precisely how the adventurers are to do this...

Haruspex
2007-07-06, 04:40 AM
Thane of the Anvil

Clang! Clang! Clang!
The hammer falls and strikes the steel
No lantern lights this darkened cave
No loaf of bread to make a meal

Toil! Toil! Toil!
The blacksmith sweats before the forge
Upon his anvil weapons form
For warriors small as well as large

Gnash! Gnash! Gnash!
His jaw is set against his pain
The sky his eyes will never see
His tongue shall not partake of grain

Burn! Burn! Burn!
To trespass in the blacksmith's cave
Where fiend and angel fear to tread
Pray to the gods your life to save

Translated from an inscription found on Dwarven ruins

Thane of the Anvil
Size/Type:Large Giant
Hit Dice:60d8+540 (813 hp)
Initiative:+12 (+4 Dex, +8 Superior Initiative)
Speed:40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class:39 (+4 Dex, -1 size, +20 natural, +6 deflection), touch 19, flat-footed 29
Base Attack/Grapple:+45/+70
Attack: Adamantine warhammer +66 melee (2d6+31/x3)
Full Attack: Adamantine warhammer +66/+61/+56 melee (2d6+31/x3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Ancient Thane Dread Hammer, Searing Tongs
Special Qualities: Thaneforging, bonded anvil, low-light vision, blindsight 120 feet, acid resistance 10, cold resistance 10, electricity resistance 10, fire immunity, sonic resistance 10, damage reduction 20/-, fast healing 3, Blessing of the Gods
Saves: Fort +41, Ref +24, Will +22
Abilities: Str 52, Dex 18, Con 28, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 22
Skills: Appraise +79, Craft (armorsmithing) +119, Craft (bowmaking) +119, Craft (weaponsmithing) +119, Sense Motive +78
Feats: 21 Skill Focus (Appraise), Skill Focus (Craft[armorsmithing]), Skill Focus (Craft), Skill Focus (Craft[weaponsmithing]), Skill Focus (Sense Motive), Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Initiative, Superior Initiative, Dire Charge, Energy Resistance (acid), Energy Resistance (cold), Energy Resistance (electricity), Energy Resistance (sonic), Epic Skill Focus (Appraise), Epic Skill Focus (Craft[armorsmithing]), Epic Skill Focus (Craft), Epic Skill Focus (Craft[weaponsmithing]), Epic Skill Focus (Sense Motive), Fast Healing, Spellcasting Harrier
[B]Environment: Underground
Organization: Thane of the anvil plus 10-20 6th level dwarf experts.
Challenge Rating: 30
Treasure: Standard.
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: -

Description

You adjust the enchanted goggles, trying to make sure they work before you descend into the darkness. As you cautiously step through the passages, you notice a dim red light at the end. The nearer you get, the louder the sound of hammering becomes. You enter the doorway and come face to face with a bronze-skinned giant. It holds a hammer in its right hand and a pair of tongs in its left. Completely hairless, the smith's body glistens with a sheen of sweat as it pounds away at its anvil. Scurrying about are a dozen dwarven assistants, carrying all manner of strange devices.

The thane of the anvil is a legendary being, known for its near-divine skill at making arms. It will trade with anyone, but refuses to enter "exclusive" arrangements. Those that try to coerce it into doing so will be attacked without mercy. It is a grim-faced being, never making jest or even smiling. It charges market prices for all its works, but will only craft epic items for those who perform certain tasks for it. Example tasks include travelling to an outer plane to collect a sample of rare metal.

The thane of the anvil is 15 feet tall and weighs four thousand pounds. It speaks Common, Giant, Dwarven, and Draconic.

[B]COMBAT

A thane of the anvil will only attack if it is being cheated, robbed, or provoked. When this happens, it will use the power of its anvil to annihilate the most threatening foe. If foes still remain, the thane will wade into combat with its massive hammer and tongs. It's dwarven assistants will not normally participate (they are armed with heavy crossbows) unless the thane looks like it is in trouble.

Ancient Thane Dread Hammer (Ex): As a standard action the thane of the anvil may make a single melee attack with a bludgeoning weapon. This special attack deals an additional 12d6 damage and automatically overcomes damage reduction and hardness. If a critical hit is scored with this attack, the extra damage is not multiplied but the target must make a DC 27 Fortitude save or be destroyed immediately. This even affects creatures immune to critical hits or death magic.

Searing Tongs (Ex): As a standard action the thane of the anvil may make a melee touch attack with his magic tongs. A touched creature takes 10d6 force damage and 10d6 fire damage. The target must then make a DC 45 Reflex save or catch on fire. This deals 1d6 fire damage each turn and the DC to extinguish the fire is 15. Creatures destroyed by the tongs are reduced to ash unless they were immune to fire damage or had the fire subtype.

Thaneforging (Su): The thane may craft magic weapons and armor as though it had the Craft Magic Arms And Armor, Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, as well as the Craft Epic Magic Arms and Armor feats. The thane of the anvil possesses the ability to craft magic or psionic weapons or armor ignoring requirements for specific spells, powers, or alignment. To create an item the thane of the anvil requires one day per 10,000 gp of a magic items cost instead of one day per 1,000 gp. XP and gold costs must be paid normally.

Bonded Anvil (Su): The thane of the anvil possesses one anvil which it is bonded to. All craft checks made at this anvil gain a +20 insight bonus. In addition, the anvil allows the thane to use a number of spell-like abilities. At will - magic missile; 3/day - fireball (DC 19); 1/day disintegrate (DC 23). Caster level 20th. Save DCs are based on the thane's Charisma.

Blessing of the Gods (Ex): The thane of the anvil is immune to any spell and spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. The thane of the anvil does not automatically fail saves or attack rolls on a natural 1.

Skills: The thane of the anvil has a +20 racial bonus on all Craft checks.

Background

The thane of the anvil is known to many as a myth, a legend passed on from blacksmiths to their young apprentices. In a land of dragons and gods that walk the land however, even the most outlandish myths hold slivers of truth. It is said that the thane was the child of a deity who dallied with mortals, stripped of divinity when the tryst was uncovered by the pantheon. Other stories claim that the thane was itself a deity, punished for some unspeakable crime to toil for eternity at the anvil.

Whatever the truth, there have been eyewitness accounts of creatures that superficially resemble the thane of legend. Sages that stood face to face with the creature concluded that it was likely some unknown breed of giant. If it is however, it must be a rare breed indeed as no other has ever been spotted. Before the sages could study the creature further, it disappeared from its cave and did not reappear until those seeking it passed from the mortal coil.

Those with ranks in Knowledge (arcana) or Knowledge (nature) may know a few things about the thane of the anvil.

DC 70: The thane of the anvil despises thieves and cheaters with all its heart. It can make any mundane weapon or armor, and almost all magic ones. This reveals all giant traits.

DC 75: It is not known if the thane of the anvil is a single creature or an entire race. If one dies another will appear in another cave, complete with anvil and dwarves, after many years have passed. None can say whether this is the slain thane reborn, or a different one altogether. The thane will not speak of itself, so numerous legends and tales have been passed down about it. This reveals all special qualities.

Poppatomus
2007-07-08, 12:04 PM
Something of a Third draft (with much thanks to Mauslin). Will still likely be heavily tweaked. additional Feedback would be much appreciated.

The Girl and the Monster (Story I)

The Order of the Six struggled to keep up with the purposeful movements of the Seraph. It was not just the speed of the creature that caused them to fall behind, but also the need to physically resist the compulsion to investigate what new treasures and joys awaited down every gilt-passageway they passed. As they reached the end of the main hall they transited a bejewled archway and entered into a room of singing silver. The Seraph touched an oval plate in the center of the room and, for the first time since arriving in Celestia, the party found itself in darkness. A moment later an idyllic village scene was projected before them, life sized and shimmering in the middle of the great room.

“This is the last place the creature was seen,” intoned the Seraph,” and it is where we need you to go to begin to track it. Hopefully you can end the threat it poses. We would not even have found the fiend had we not already been watching. We were fortunate in that.”

“You brought us all the way here to have us kill some demon?” The Cleric was incredulous. “We’ve done that before you know, you could have just sent us a messenger and –“

The seraph interrupted, “No. This is no mere devil to dispatch. You risk more than your life on this mission. Watch and I will show you what it is you face, demonstrate the evil of which it is capable.” The seraph waved his hand and the image shifted to the same village at night, in winter. “This most recent chapter began then, with the child’s coming of age. She already had a history of…”

Beka and her mother had arrived in the village a year ago, and so far their neighbors suspected nothing. This was the third village in as many years, and the she could not recall how many they had passed through since Beka’s powers first manifest.

That first manifestation had been the worst. Beka was only five then, a waifish child too smart for her few years. She always wanted to play with the bigger children, but they could be rough, and one day they were too rough, too cruel. This was the first time Beka’s true form was revealed. When she awoke she found herself alone in a field, her clothes stained with blood. She ran screaming back to the town square and collapsed in the arms of the first adult she saw. They never even found the bodies of the other children.

Immediately after the event Beka was seen as a victim and pitied. She had no memory of what had happened and no one had reason to suspect her involvement, but there were whispers. As the mystery around the disappearances deepened, the village's old crone’s recalled that Beka had been born under an evil star. They whispered that she had always seemed different from the other children, and that she had been spared for a reason. Beka could feel cold and contemptuous eyes on her in the street, in the school house, even at prayers.

One day Micah, the father of the eldest missing girl, could not control himself. He saw Beka playing under her mother’s skirts in the market. He heard her laugh as his daughter had laughed and his mind simply broke. striding towards Beka’s mother he began to rant and rave. He accused the child of murder and demanded she tell the truth about what happened. When Beka’s mother responded indignantly, Micah hit her savagely, knocking her to the ground. The rest of the crowd cheered.

As her mother’s form hit the earth, Beka screamed, but it was not a human scream. The villagers watched in horror as the girl’s flesh warped and toughened until a monstrous form stood in her place. Demonic is too soft a word for the abomination that surveyed the town square, 20 ft tall, bristling with spines and stinking of the abyss. The townsfolk tried to flee, but the creature was too fast, too merciless. None could fight back, even what weapons were available shattered against the creature’s impenetrable hide. Within two minutes every person that had looked on, save for Beka’s mother, had been reduced to gristle and shards of bone. Then, as suddenly as the slaughter had begun, it ended. The creature’s horrifying form sloughed away, leaving Beka lying there, resting peacefully as though in deep sleep, again an innocent little girl.

“My god,” gasped the Cleric as he examined the image in front of him,” It can’t be that. I’ve heard tales of such creatures. Ancient demons, those that existed even before the Tanar’i spawned in the abyss, powerful enough to make even the demon lords quake with fear on their home planes. How could one even make it to the material without being noticed? Is it shielded by the girl?”

“These are good questions, Cleric, and your assessment is astute, but the story is not yet finished. A mother’s love is not so easily shaken, especially when the child itself is also a victim in the mother's eyes. As you can see, she does not abandon her daughter, instead….”

Beka's mother scooped the child up and began to run. When she reached their home she forced Beka's father to abandon his land, lying that the villagers were coming to kill their daughter. Every time after that Beka had an “incident” the mother would simply move the family again. A child would dissapear, or a vagabond go missing, and the next day they would be on the road. Beka herself barely understood what was happening or why she was denied a normal life.

It was 3 years and two villages before her father realized what was going on and decided to put a stop to it. Sneaking into Beka’s room while she slept he tried to murder his own helpless child. Tears streaming down his face he raised the knife and said a prayer to his god to forgive him. But he was no killer. The knife wounded the girl but it was not a mortal injury. Beka awoke in agony and stared at her father, still holding the knife above her. She transformed, there was a scream, and then she and her mother went on to the next village alone. After that night Beka no longer slept. Each night she lay in darkness, watching, wary of the next betrayal.

Perhaps it is because of this partial embrace of her supernatural nature that she began to more noticeably change. Her eyes, which had been brown like her mother’s, turned jet black. Her teeth grew noticeably pointed and her flaxen hair turned silver. But her personality remained that of the innocent child she still was. She was sweet and humble and kind. Her mother, seeing this good in Beka, shielded her, sheparding her from village to village out of a love for her daughter, praying that she could find a way to prevent the inevitable from happening again. But it never seemed to last. Beka’s strangeness seemed to draw in those that would threaten her and then the monster would be released.

Still, they had lasted a year in their current village, the longest in some time. Beka’s mother mostly kept her away from the town, and credited this distance with her success. Her mother believed none knew that Beka even existed, but Beka was no longer a child. She was approaching her 18th birthday and she had become somewhat rebellious. She had been sneaking into town and interacting with others her own age.

She had grown especially fond of Carrous, a handsome young man who was, like Beka, new to the town. Their connection deepened with time and they became more than friends. Though they spent much time together, Beka considered it to Carrous’ credit that he did not judge her for her strange appearance or habits and that he trusted her enough to sleep even while she lay awake beside him. A month from adulthood, Beka began to wonder if she should ask her mother if she might be allowed to marry the boy. She also wondered if that would be safe for him.

Suddenly, this pacific period was upset. From no where whispers in the town began. People seemed to suspect who Beka was, and her mother heard tales in the market place of the destruction that her daughter’s monstrous side had wrought. She wanted to leave, but convinced herself that this was nothing, just rumors. Beka's mother's conclusion was made inevitable by the fact that, at this point, there was simply no where else to go.

The townsfolk called a secret council to discuss the problem and the day after the meeting, the winter solstice, there was an eclipse that blotted out the sun from dawn til dusk. This sign was sufficient to convince the villagers that something needed to be done. They readied themselves and arrived en masse at Beka’s cottage. The mob demanded the child be produced, but the mother said she had fled. Fearing confrontation, the mob set the cottage alight. They heard the mother howl as the fire began to engulf the home and then scream that she for help, claiming she was trapped. When the fire died down the townspeople inspected the ashes and found the charred remains of the mother connected by a chain to the heavy iron stove. Beka’s remains were nowhere to be found.

The Cleric interjected again,” I am not sure how I feel about this mission. Killing a demon is one thing, but the girl is innocent. Is there perhaps some way to expurgate the evil without the loss of the girl? It just seems--”

The seraph again cut him off, “The story is not finished. The girl was indeed not killed in the fire, rather…”

Carrous’ lodging was on the other side of the village, consisting of a small tent on the outskirts of town. Beka was there with him, and as dawn approached she nudged him awake. “I saw the smoke,” she said somberly, “do you think my mother survived?” She could feel the rage building inside her, and feared it. She knew that if she found they had hurt her mother she would not be able to control herself.

“I am sure they wouldn’t hurt her,” he lied, “she w-," he caught himself, " she is after all, just as innocent as are you. Their arrogance has been their undoing, and they will not even consider that they might be wrong until we are gone.” Though she knew better, Beka believed him. She could sense he wanted to protect her. Even that slip of the tongue made him more endearing.

He got up and made a small meal for the two of them. They ate and then packed their things, setting out to travel into the dark forest. Beka was sad for her mother, but at the same time excited about the future. Something about Carrous filled her with confidence, with a belief that she might finally be able to take control of her own life. He always seemed to know the right thing to say and to do. She trusted him, loved him, even more than her she had her mother.

They traveled the whole of the day and talked of the future. As night fell they stopped in a small clearing. Beka was clearly exhausted. As they lay in each other’s arms, Carrous whispered to her, “you are tired, and you have been for so long. Why not sleep?” She kissed him deeply and, for the first time in a decade, the girl closed her eyes, and allowed herself to sleep.

As soon as he was sure that she was finally slumbering, Carrous repositioned himself. He put a hand on either side of her head, and casually snapped her neck. So swift was the movement that the body barely even shuddered in death. As Carrous stood it was difficult to tell that the corpse he laid upon the earth was not simply still asleep. Without looking back, Carrous vanished into the darkness of the forest, leaving Beka's body to the birds.

The room filled with light again and it took a moment for the party even to realize what had happened. Not privy to the creatures thoughts, they were confused bu the suddent turn. This time it was the mage that spoke first, “Wait, if the girl is already dead then what do you need us for?”

The Seraph shook his head, “The target is not the girl. It is the companion. The man calling himself Carrous. He is not what he seems. He is a creature that we have been trying to find for a millennia and we will not let this opportunity to end him slip through our fingers. The Dattar must be destroyed, and you will be the one’s to destroy him.”

He had done well, he thought to himself as he stood. The fiend's vessel was destroyed along with the cursed womb that might permit it to be reborn. It had been tricky to do them both in the same night, but worth it, if only for the challenge. Plus there had been the added remitance of the relationship itself. She had been a lovely girl and, when they first met, a pure one. He could only hope that his next campaign would involve such wonderful perks. He chuckled at the thought as he unfurled his great wings and launched himself towards the cold and glimmering stars, wondering if they'd borne witness to the evening's great achievment, hoping they did.

A Hard Lesson (Story II)

Kyb had almost forgotten what it was like to be on the chase. The great wyrm had been on the creature's tail for several days, feeling a thrill he'd not experienced since outgrowing his youthful fixation with adventuring. After centuries of his benign protection something horrible had been happening within the mountains that he had helped to make a beacon of peace of prosperity. Villages had been "dissappearing", going out of contact for days only to be reached to find everyone inside dead. This was not something that Kyb, Draconic Protector of the Northern Mountains, could or would allow to continue. That title had been earned and proven many times, and it would be proven again. Kyb's magics were insufficient to locate the creature or creatures responsbile, and so he was forced to track him down on his own, hunting as he had in his youth. Today would be the day he finally closed on his prey. He only hoped he'd get there in time.

Landing in the village the dragon was relieved. He heard children laughing and saw the men at work in the fields. Deciding to land with an inspiring flourish in the town square, Kyb lurched upward to adjust the angle of his approach. The village shrank to toy size below him as he reached the apex of his climb and began his descent anew. Closing in on the square Kyb noticed something jarring: the village had become cloaked in an eerie silence.

Settling in the central square Kyb looked with a sense of profound sadness at the crude statue the city had made in his image , the man-sized likeness staring back at him with what felt like dissaproval. He would remedy that soon enough. Kyb could see the bodies now, lying on the ground as though asleep, the same as in the other villages. Then he saw movement, a figure emerging from one of the huts. At first he thought someone had survived the slaughter, but when the strange wings came into view Kyb knew this was the being he had tracked.

"Halt Fiendish Monster." The dragon called confidently, gold scales gleaming in the noon sun, "beg mercy or forgiveness, but prepare to answer for these senseless crimes." To say the dragon was suprised when the man laughed was something of an understatment.

"Halt Fiendish Monster? Who says that?" the Dattar asked, bemused, "How about something simple like 'stop' or meaningful like 'In the name of the Gods what have you done?' Actually I get that last one more often then you'd think, though admittedly not usually from a dragon. Really, they're both a bit cliche at this point so I give you credit for saying something new. Also, for posterity's sake, I'm actually diabloical." Smirking, the Dattar unfurled his wings in a casual motion, as though preparing to fly off.

The dragon was taken aback, dumbstruck by the creature's unfounded insolence and casaul tone, especially given that this small being faced a great wyrm in a courtyard littered with the corpses of children. This shock lasted a fleeting moment before being replaced by righteous anger. Kyb strode forward to grab the creature.

Still earthbound, the Dattar's movements were so fast the dragon's lunge struck nothing but air. Worried for a moment he had done something foolish, the Dragon felt the man press a hand against the dragons outstretched claw. A moment later the Dragon was wracked with pain, futily resisting some terrible force. Unable to move, the Dragon focused all his energies on opposing whatever strange effect he was suddenly subject too. Through the effort, he was dimly aware that the creature was speaking.

Moving towards the statue, the Dattar's dark voice still spoke in the same bemused tone, "Conceited as your kind always is, I would have at least expected you to be curious enough to ask why I've been doing this. While you've been holed up in your cave looking at your reflection in coins, polishing your golden rods, or whatever it is you do with your centuries, I've been paying attention to the actual world." Reaching the statue, the Dattar rubbed a smudge off a marble foretalon.

"Its a lovely place you've made here, but the people have grown too contentented. While it's a sweet sentiment that they'd prefer to keep their fields rather than let the moutain be mined its not a very practical one. Just because that silly parliament won't take the land of your poor, benighted peasents by force doesn't mean they'll magically be able to win the war. Righteousness alone isn't enough, they need metal too, the same metal buried beneath the towns you love so dearly. Given that the army they are facing is in the service of Bael, I think we'd both agree that at least some rebalancing of the scales is called for. Hey look!," The Dattar's eyes darted back and forth between the still writhing dragon and the statue, "now it's actual size!" Kyb's jaws clenched, the world seemed to have grown larger as he began to feel his strength leaving him and his mind slipping away.

The Dattar laughed and readied for flight. He turned towards the dragon," Some parting words: I'm gonna go finish off the last three villages today, and then I'll be gone. You can follow if you want, but i doubt you'll be in any condition to stop me. Still, if you'd prefer death, feel free to come by the southern most village before dawn, maybe I'll still be waiting there. You've done much for the cause of good, and a swift death is the least I can give you. Otherwise, i'd be careful, I hear these woods can get pretty dangerous at night for the smaller and weaker creatures that roam them. I'd hate for such a great creature as yourself to suffer defeat twice in one day." With a final chuckle, the Dattar soared off on his massive wings, leaving the once mighty dragon to complete his transformation amidst the corpses of those he'd failed to protect.

The Monster

Dattar
"Then shall i turn my face,and hear one bird
sing terribly afar in the lost lands." -- E.E. Cummings

Stat Block

Medium Outsider (Lawful, evil, archon)
Hit Dice: 30d8 + 120 (255 hp)
Initiative: +14
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 100 ft. (clumsy)
Armor Class: 42 (Dex +10, Natural +5, insight +17), touch 37, flat-footed 32
Base Attack/Grapple: +30/+40
Attack: Slam +36 melee (1d6+6) or weapon +36 melee (depends on weapon, usually wields one weapon in main hand)
Full Attack: 4 Slams +36 melee or weapon +36/+30/+24/+18 melee (depends on weapon)
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Euthanize, Genocide, Pride Goeth, Humble, Spell Like Abilities
Special Qualities: Archon Traits, Eternal Mission, Perdition’s Son, Change Shape, Wiley, Crusader’s boon, fast healing 6, Damage Reduction 10/epic, SR 35, Planar Distortion, Formidable Opponent
Saves: Fort +21, Ref +27, Will +34
Abilities: Str 22 Dex 30 Con 18 Int 22 Wis 24 Cha 30
Skills: Balance +33 (+47), Bluff +33(+43), Disguise +33 (+43), Escape Artist +33(+43), Gather information +33 (+43), Handle Animal +16 (+25), Hide +33 (+43), Intimidate +33 (+47), Jump +33 (+43), Knowledge (religion) +10 (+16), Knowledge (The planes) +11 (+17), Listen +33 (+40), Move Silently +33 (+43), Ride +17 (+25), Sense motive +12 (+19), Spot +33 (+40),
Tumble +33 (+43)
Feats: Combat Expertise, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack, improved initiative(B), improved Grapple(B), Combat reflexes
Epic Feats: Self Concealment x3, Improved Whirlwind Attack, Epic Dodge
Organization: Solitary (Unique)
Challenge Rating: 33
Treasure: None
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Description/characteristics

Before you stands a normal sized human figure, with piercing violet eyes that seem almost to leap from an otherwise common face. Two large wings jut from his back, covering an area far larger than the creature to which they are attached. Neither the leathery wings of a fiend nor the feathered limbs of an angel, they are covered in scales of some translucent material that warps the light as though a film of oil. When folded behind the creature's back it gives the impression of a statue framed by a stained glass window. The creature's movements are almost hypnotic, with a swiftness far beyond any mortal's wildest dreams.

characteristics (good through evil, cynical, hates arrogance)

The Dattar is a creature dedicated to doing good through evil acts. The ultimate manifestation of the belief that the ends justify the means, the Dattar will do whatever it takes, no matter how morally repugnant, if it advances the cause of good. Sometimes this means killing an innocent that might, at some point in the future, present some danger to the world. Other times it means slaughtering a whole nation and framing an evil king so that the forces of good will finally unite against the gathering threat. The Dattar is firmly committed, intellectually, to good, even as its black soul drives it, inevitably, towards truly vile acts.

Other than this paradoxical drive, the Dattar also has not patience for pomp or arrogance, an opinion that borders on a pathological hatred. He is equally spiteful of the creatures of evil who foolishly believe their power justifies dominating others as he is of the “champions” of good who think their strength gives them the right the judge, or even to impede, the Dattar himself. He has no time for such self aggrandizement and takes great pleasure in knocking haughty enemies from their station, leaving them impotent and ordinary to ponder their failure.

In conversation the Dattar sounds like a jaded cynic. He has existed for millennia, suffering or fighting for most of that time, and hates just about everyone and everything. Still, the creature is not without a dark sense of humor and its self deprecation and devotion to its cause makes it an interesting travel companion, at least for those that do not get in its way or offend its sensibilities. Make no mistake however, the Dattar may have the dark charm of his diabolical creator, but he has not even a glimmer of good in his soul.

Though lawful by nature, this refers more to his committment to good and the value he places on creatures keeping their word then a preference for existing within the strictures of an organization or creating organizations of his own. He expects creatures to know their place and accept their station, but he doesn't begrudge a creature the desire to better itself, even when he strips that ability from them. No one is sure of the Dattar's true name, or if he even has one.

Background (The Dattar's life and times)

The Dattar is a devil made, some say by the hand of Asmodeuous himself, with an unfortunate restriction: he can not harm other evil beings. As he tells it, he was originally created as something of a gift to the lord of the first, designed to serve as a living training dummy. Unable to harm his opponent, they could fight their fullest and test new tactics without fear that another devil might take the opportunity to injure them permanently. That the Dattar could not truly die meant they could be as cruel as they desired without fear of breaking their new toy. This is where he got his title, with the word "dattar" being a rough approximation of a darkspeech phrase for a particularly excerable type of slave.

As he grew in power through sheer attrition, the Dattar also came to act as the preferred bodyguard for the greatest of devils when they were force to deal with creatures beyond the hells. Eventually, the Dattar parlayed this status into a life beyond that of a glorified training tool. At some point he even caught the eye of Asmodeus, who rewarded him for millenia of service with what amounted to an edict of protection from the lesser devils. After centuries of suffering the Dattar was able revel in every sinful pleasure, using his connections and the secrets he learned to live as a favored prince.

But as is normally the case in hell, at some point others grew jealous and engineered the Dattar's fall. Suddenly he was cast out amongst the hellish plains to fend for himself. Even worse then when he was being used as a tool, he know had no protection or purpose at all. Unable to defend himself against the devils that he had til recently lorded over, he was almost broken. Pressed into service, traded like a slave and abused endlessly, no lowly soul in hell had ever suffered worse, for what devil could pass up the chance to torture a being of such supposed power? The Dattar was never told what happened, but through carefully manipulated rumor and whisper he came to believe that he had some greater purpose for which he was being prepared.

Then he was introduced to real battle. "Rescued" from his slavery, he believes at Asmodeus' intervention, he was sent to the lower planes of celestia. Thankful for respite from his suffering, the Dattar spent millenia battling across the heavenly planes, filling them with the blood of their protectors. He loved it, the brutality, the cruelty, to thrill of murder and the satisfaction he gained from the screaming eyes of eternal beings as they slipped away to nothingness. He vented his rage on the angels, and they wept bitter tears. The Dattar never returned to the hellish planes, moving from one battle to another on the celestial.

Despite himself, over time, his rage was tempered by the spirit of the planes where he was forced to live. A manufactured creature, his soul was still raw enough to become tinged by the planes on which he spent eons fighting and killing. Though not enough to redeem his dark soul, it changed his perspective, forced the Dattar to recognize the differences between the universe from which he came and the one to he was laying waste. He noted no creatures on these plains suffering as he had, no masters lying in wait to abuse the weak and defenseless.

With time, The Dattar also noted the futility of the fight. The tides never shifted. The Dattar concluded that it was the height of arrogance to think that the question of good versus evil could ever be decided through combat among the immortals. There would always be another Angel to defend its home and another devil to kill it. He came to realize it was only in the world of the mortal creatures, those not committed to one side or the other by birth, that the struggle was truly being fought.

These twin recognitions cast, the Dattar into doubt. He abruptly abandoned his station and wandered the material, searching for purpose. As he did, the Dattar came to hate both sides of the struggle. Intellectually committed to good, the Dattar was repulsed by the arrogance of mortal and angel alike who claimed they knew how to further good but were inevitably either corrupted by their own self-righteousness or unwilling to risk their own souls to save the world they professed to love. As for evil, the Dattar continued to suffer under the torment of even the lowliest of evil beings when they found him and he still could not fight back. at least, not directly. He had also become at odds with his former kin due to an intellectual committment to good, seeing its triumph as the ideal end state for the universe, even if its precepts made no sense to him personally.

Still searching for a way to advance his new cause, The Dattar realized that he could embrace what he was and still advance the cause of good by doing what his "allies" would not, by using evil to thwart evil. Since that time he has dedicated his existance to this cause, seeking to do the evil that must be done in order to bring about greater good himself. Though it has not made the Dattar any less a vile being, it has given his corruption a direction, and given his existance meaning. He still lacks sympathy for the living, and kills without compunction or remorse, but he tries, usually successfully, to do these things only in support of good ends (or to puncture the egos of the haughty on both sides.)

Neither side quite knows what to do with the Dattar. While much of the heavens seeks the destruction of the Dattar for the pain he has brought to the world, others wonder if he should not be treated more like a natural force than devil. The hells seem more forgiving in spite of the fact that it is their plans and aims he is strives to foil. Part of this stems from the fact that the Dattar has somehow partly regained Asmodeus' favor, with the lord of the hells seeing the Dattar as the ultimate failsafe against an evil creature gaining the kind of power that would be needed to upset his far ranging plans.

Asmodeus also has some appreciation for the Dattar as a creature of great power who poses no threat at all to Asmodeus himself. It has been said that Asmodeus sometimes uses the Dattar in his previous role as a guard when he or his dark minions are threatened by creatures of light (and some say that even the Dattar's actions on behalf of good fit somewhere in Asmodeus' "original purpose" for the being). At the same time, the Dattar has something akin to affection for Asmodeus, even as he opposes his plans, seeing him as the only creature that has not only fully embraced his true nature, but earned their position of dominance and power. There is neither arrogance nor hypocrisy in Asmodeus, at least from the Dattar's unique perspective, and that he respects.

Special Attacks

Euthanize (Ex): Any time the Dattar successfully pins a creature with a discernable anatomy the Dattar may euthanize the creature as a free action. If the creature has fewer than 18 hit dice it dies immediately with no save. If the creature has 18 or more hit dice it may make a DC 31 Fort save to avoid death (STR based) Even if the save is made the creature takes 10d6 non-lethal damage and is considered nauseated for 2d6 rounds. The Dattar may also attempt to euthanize a creature with 20 HD or fewer any time it lands a critical strike with a melee weapon. This attack must land, deal damage and cannot be a touch attack.

Genocide (Su): 4 time per day, after a creature is killed by euthanize’s death effect, the Dattar may choose to force nearby creatures to also make a save to avoid death. Any creatures of the same HD or fewer as the creature killed that are also within 999 ft. of the Dattar must make a DC 31 Fort save or die (STR base). Creatures killed in this way usually appear to have simply dropped dead, however the Dattar may also choose to simulate any kind of brutal wound or damage, including fire. Such wounds are non-magical, and require a DC 35 spot check to notice inconsistencies that suggest they are not normal wounds.

Pride Goeth(Su): With a successfully touch attack the Dattar may grant a creature any or all of the following bonuses for one day: +5 to attack and damage, +6 to any attribute, +10 to a single skill, +2 to all skills, 3d8 temporary hit points, the ability to reroll one failed save at a +10 bonus. All of these bonuses are considered Pride bonuses and stack. The Dattar can not target himself with this ability. Creatures may resist this effect with a DC 20 Will Save, but they are aware of the bonus or bonuses they are about to receive and the ability is considered harmless.

Spell Like abilities: As cast by a 25th level sorceror (all DCs are CHA based)

At Will: Deeper Darkness, Freedom of Movement, Sanctuary, Undetectable Alignment, Dispel Magic, dimension door; 1/per hour – Unholy Blight, Mindblank, anti-magic field, Earthquake, true seeing; 1/per day – Baleful Polymorph, Dimensional Anchor, wish or miracle, Greater prying eyes, Discern location; 1/per week -- Eclipse, Damnation, nondetection

The Dattar also has access to spells as though he possessed ten levels of blackguard.

Humble (Su): The Dattar may render a creature ordinary by taking a full round action and making a touch attack in order to humble them. If the attack is successful, the effects of humble proceed according to the following table. When a completion condition is reached, the next stage of the effect begins on the following round.

Stage|Effect each round|completion condition|
1| Creature shrinks or expands by one size category |creature is medium size
2| Creature takes 3 points of permanent attribute drain to all attributes above 10 | All attributes are 10 or below
3|All trained skills with more than 4 ranks the Creature possesses are reduced by 5 ranks, skills can not be reduced below 0 ranks| no skill has more than four ranks
4| Creature suffers 5d6 points of permanent level or HD drain, Level/HD cannot fall below one| creature is at 1 HD.
5| All Magical items and weapons of masterwork quality or greater wielded or worn by the creature drop to its feet. The creature can no longer wear, wield, hold or activate any magical item or weapon of masterwork quality or better|one round passes
6|Creature loses all supernatural or spell like abilities | one round passes
7|Creature loses any extraordinary abilities or special ability not granted by its type or subtype| one round passes

The effect ends when all seven stages have concluded.

Creatures currently affected by pride goeth take a -10 penalty to AC against the touch attack that starts this effect. They also are not permitted saves. Other creatures may make a save at DC 35 +1 for every 4 HD above 18 (round up). This save must be made each round to delay the effects of the ability until the next round. This DC is charisma based. For each additional humble attack made by the Dattar against a creature already subject to humble the save DC increases by +5. The save is always made using the creature’s worst save after modifiers are taken into effect.

Making three successful saves in a row ends the effect but does not restore previously lost characteristics. A creature may gain a +15 bonus to this save if they spend the entire round concentrating on maintaining themselves as they are and take no other action. A side effect of this ability is an inherent desire to do just that, and a character must specifically choose not attempt to retain the features that make it special or it automatically attempts to do so as long as it is conscious.

A wish or miracle can be used to guarantee success on this save for one round or reverse the effects of the previous round, however, this also causes the caster of that spell to be subject to the humble effect. If the caster of the spell is currently suffering from humble their save DC increases by +10 in the following round.

Once the spell has run its course, the changes wrought by this ability can not be reversed or restored, even by a wish or miracle spell. Additionally, a creature that lost class levels can not gain any new levels of any class from which they lost levels. Only the Dattar or the direct intervention of a major deity can restore a creature’s former glory. If granted by the Dattar restoration takes one full day and requires that the humbled creature be on the same plane as the Dattar. Creatures normally immune to polymorph or level drain are not immune to being humbled, though they gain +5 to the save, with an additional +3 for any divine rank possessed above first.

Special qualities:

Change Shape The Dattar can assume the form of any Small or Medium humanoid at will. The Dattar can not use this ability to mimic any particular humanoid, only to appear as though a general member of a particular humanoid species. Though this ability can be used to replicate the same individual repeatedly, it can not be used to imitate a pre-existing individual, providing no bonus to disguise checks to appear as another person.

Formidable Opponent The Dattar's years as a At the beginning of a round, the Dattar may choose to focus on defense. Whenever he is attacked that round he may make an opposed attack roll. If his score on that roll is higher than his opponent's original attack roll, the attack is negated, this ability applies to melee attacks, ranged attacks, and can even be used to negate the damage or negative effects from spells which require touch attacks or ranged touch attacks. When using formidable opponent, the Dattar may make no attacks other than attacks of opportunity and he makes those attacks at a -10 to both attack and damage.

Wiley (Ex): The Dattar is adept at evading hostile creatures without fighting and gains evasion, improved evasion and defensive roll. The Dattar also adds his wisdom and charisma modifiers as insight bonuses to AC. The Dattar gains these benefits even if helpless or denied his dexterity bonus to AC, so long as he is conscious.

Crusader’s Boon (Ex): Any weapon wielded by the Dattar is treated as epic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. In the deft hands of the Dattar wielded weapons are also treated as though a +6 Keen Wounding unholy weapon of its type, and the weapon is treated as two size catagories larger than normal for the purposes of dealing damage. These bonuses are on top of any other magical bonuses the weapon may possess and are not considered to be magical bonuses for the purposes of being dispelled or suppressed by an anti-magic field. When removed from the Dattar’s possession the weapon reverts to its normal state, though it retains the unholy descriptor if the Dattar uses it to kill a creature. These bonuses are not included in the Attack line of the Dattar’s stat bloc. As a result of this ability the Dattar never takes a penalty for using an improvised melee weapon, though improvised weapons are considered neither keen nor wounding.

Eternal Mission (Ex): If reduced to less then zero hit points the Dattar is not destroyed. Rather the Dattar is reconstituted on a random Lawful Evil plane 1d10 days later (if destroyed on a lawful evil plane the Dattar reforms within 200 ft. of the spot he was destroyed in 4d12 days). Even a successful use of wish or miracle in conjunction with the Dattar’s destruction can not end the creatures existence, though it can be used to help trap the creature somewhere it can hopefully be contained.

When he is killed, the Dattar will escape back to the material as soon as possible and stop at nothing to gain vengeance against the creature or creatures that banished him.

Perdition’s Son (Ex): The Dattar is prevented from damaging non-good creatures, requiring a DC 50 Will save to take or aid a hostile action against an evil creature. Any creature of evil alignment is immune to all of the Datar's special and spell like abilities (except humble, see above). If a Dattar manages to take an action that leads directly to the harm of any creature with an evil alignment the Dattar loses three times as much HP as the victim or victims. If this is a direct attack from the Dattar any creature with an evil alignment may make a DC 20 Fort or Ref save to ignore any damage or negative effect. This DC increases by 2 times the difference between the Dattar's HD and the target. The Dattar can never reduce an evil creature below 1 HP with an attack or special ability. Any damage caused by the Dattar that would reduce an evil creature below 1 hp is instead replaced by non-lethal damage.

These protections do not apply to Humble, which can be used on creatures of any alignment. However, after being afflicted by humble, evil creatures may make one DC 20 Will Save every week in order to reverse the effects of that ability. If the save succeeds the creature slowly regains its abilities in the reverse order they were lost, at the rate of one catagory per week.

Beings of pure evil such as demons and devils gain even greater protection. Attacks and abilities, including humble, used by the Dattar can not target any outsider of evil alignment. Even physical attacks are blunted and rendered harmless by this ability. Natural or wielded weapons pass through these creatures as though brilliant energy weapons passing through stone, and they may ignore spells cast by the Dattar at will. The beings may also ignore the Dattar’s damage reduction.

Creatures of neutral alignment on the good evil axis gain some benefits as well. They gain a +10 Alignment bonus to AC and Saves when facing a Dattar.

Creatures of Good Alignment gain no such benefits. The Dattar unerringly detects the lawful-good axis of the alignment of all creatures within 400 ft. Effects that attempt to disguise or hide alignment are ignored by this ability even if they are divine in origin or the result of major artifacts.

Evil and neutral creatures may voluntarily give up these protections if they so desire. Outsiders of those alignments may choose at the beginning of every round whether they will be affected whereas other non outsiders lose their protection for an entire week before they are naturally restored.

Planar Distortion (Ex) The strange forging of the Dattar's soul, tempered as it is with aspects of the hellish and celestial planes, manifests in a strange way outside of hell or celestia. When on another plane the Dattar may, at will, extend or withdraw a field that prevents the summoning or calling of outsiders within a 10 mile radius of the Dattar's location. This ability even prevents outsiders from passing through pre-existing gateways.

A summoner with more HD than the Dattar may make a Spellcraft check at DC 35 + 1/2 of the HD of the creature being summoned to overcome this field. Similarly, an outsider attempting to pass through an existing gateway may make a will save at DC 35 + 1/2 of his own HD to successfully travel between planes. (These DCs are charisma based)

This distortion is even more potent at close proximity. While on the prime material, any time an outsider succesfully hits the Dattar with a melee attack or successfully casts a spell that has the Dattar as a target, the outsider must make a will save at DC 35 + their total HD or be banished to their home plane. (this DC is charisma based) The perdition's son ability does not protect evil outsiders from being banished in this way. This is an epic effect, and non-epic magical means of binding a creature to a plane do not negate this ability. Even epic spells and artifacts that prevent banishment only add the caster level of the effects originator as a circumstance bonus to the save, rather than preventing the effect completely.

Lastly, this effect complicates efforts to scry the Dattar. When the Dattar is on the material plane any scrying spell that has the Dattar as an explicit target automatically fails, instead scrying on a random humanoid creature.

Archon traits: The Dattar has some of the benefits of his archon nature.
Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision.
Aura of Menace (Su): A strange aura surrounds the Dattar when it fights or get angry. Any hostile creature within a 20-foot radius of must succeed on a DC 37 Will save to resist its effects. The save DC is Charisma-based, and includes a +2 racial bonus. Those who fail take a -2 penalty on attacks, AC, and saves for 24 hours or until they successfully hit the Datter. A creature that has resisted or broken the effect cannot be affected again by the aura for 24 hours.
Immunity to electricity and petrification.
+4 racial bonus on saves against poison.
Teleport (Su): The Dattar can use greater teleport at will, as the spell (caster level 14th), except that the creature can transport only itself and up to 50 pounds of objects.
Tongues (Su): The Dattar can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level 14th). This ability is always active.

Combat

The Dattar truly delights in combat. He excels at it and relishes the opportunity to crush an opponent. However, unlike some of his kind, he is not showy. The one exception to this is a preference to, when he can, fight under the effects of an ecclipse spell. He delights in the idea of the sun itself being brought low and will usually mark a particularly "auspicious" act through the use of this ability. He generally prefers to fight within an anti-magic field, maximizing the advantage of his melee attacks. Though he rarely keeps the same weapon longer than a few months he has recently preferred to carry falchions or scythes with him.

When faced with a situation where the Dattar is condifent of victory he will usually target whatever creature he percieves to be the strongest hoping to use the genocide ability to end the fight quickly, occasionally using humble to eliminate a particularly pesky creature that might otherwise slow down this process.

When more evenly matched, the Dattar tends to fight defensivly, using his formidable opponent ability to defend himself while using humble to whittle away his opponent's strength individual by individual until he can best the remaining creatures through sheer martial strength. He takes particular pleasure targeting supposed paragonal creatures of good like outsiders or dragons, and usually will not even deign to kill them after they have been humbled. If the battle begins to go poorly he will begin to use his spell like abilities, usually attempting to bluff with his damnation effect, targeting a creature likely to fail his save and threatening to do it to others, even though the ability is spent.

When over matched the Dattar will usually flee unless his mission requires him to take the risk. He does not fear death at all, as he can not die, but he fears being trapped within hell and is doubly likely to flee from a group that includes lawful evil outsiders of considerable power.

Ideally he identifies potential threats early and comes to them in the guise of a helper, offering them the benefits of pride goeth in order to set them up for a later battle. Though he usually doesn't bother, he may attempt to trick an evil creature into giving up his protection long enough for the Dattar to defeat him directly, but the Dattar considers it the job of other creatures to handle the evil of the world, and will only do this if the Dattar feels it is absolutely necessary or if he feels personally threatened.

Plot Hooks
=coming soon=

(mostly) Good Party

(mostly) Evil Party

[/spoiler]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-11, 05:31 AM
To the heavens and the hells, across the planes from the most beautiful meadows of celestial design to the most putrid swamps of blood and gore in the lowest pits of the Abyss, a child was born. A child of such bizarre unison that it boggled the minds of many of the most knowledgible of gods. This child was an angel, and it was a demon.

It's skin was leathery and putrid orange, it's head sported wicked horns, and its eyes were soulless, but on its back were two feathered, white angels wings. "Abomination!" it was called, "Monster!" most gods called it. "Beauty" did one god call it... Levakross, the king of fiends looked upon the creature and took it as his very son. He took the child into his domain, the most unique of beings, and he would train the beautiful abomination to be a god as he was.

Another god saw Levakross' joy and detested it, he could not stand the sights and sounds of a half-breed god training another half-breed god... Kroanos, the Lord of Dark sent forth his most wicked disciple which snatched the child and tore its soul in twine. Both sides were weak, and tried to fight in protest but could not, the angel in his blood was sent to the Material plane and was born into the body of a mortal king. This king lead a normal life as some of the luckier kings might. The other half of Nigh's soul was sent to live in torment in the lowest, darkness corners of Hades where he spent all of his time struggling in vein to escape the fires, the darkness and the ash.

The king, in his old age died in a seige against his kingdom, though he was powerful he was also frail. His angelic soul was freed into the cosmos where it found and rescued his demonic counterpart and they again became one. The King of Fiends, Levakross had been watching the mortal king in his life, and in his death and found his soul, both parts of it in the outer planes. He took them, formed them together into the strong body and soul he had always meant to have and gave to him a mighty blade the god forged himself and a stout armor and shield.

"You are my defender, and you will guard my domain, and that of Naphia's." Levakross spoke unto him moments after he donned his armor, and wielded his blade. "I shall until there is no life within my body and there is no land to defend." Nigh replied to his dark master.

"I also grant you a gift for your loyalty to me, and for a life of torment, your beloved wife. For she also had died in the seige of your kingdom." And it was so, Nigh had his wife's soul in a new body. Nigh now defends the domain of the two godly lovers, Levakross and Naphia with his life.

--

Nigh
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/realisticnighcopy.jpg

Medium Outsider (Angel, Evil, Extraplanar, Good, Tanar'ri)
HD: 40d8+520 (700 hp)
Initiative: +15
Speed: 40 feet (8 squares, 50 feet w/o armor), fly 120 feet (good)
Armor Class: 82 (+3 Dex, +16 +8 moderate fortification mithril fullplate, +8 +5 heavy steel shield, +30 Natural, +14 Deflection, +7 insight) touch 36, flat-footed 69
Base Attack/Grapple: +40/+56
Attack: Nigh's Saber +63 melee (2d6+22, 19-20/x3) or slam +57 (1d8+16, x2)
Full Attack: Nigh's Saber +63/+58/+53/+48 melee (2d6+22, 19-20/x3) or 2 slams +57 melee (1d8+16, x2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: cleric spells, smite good and evil, spell-like abilities, summon angels and demons
Special Qualities: Aura of good and evil, DR 20/epic and cold iron, darkvision 60 feet, immunity to acid, cold, electricity, petrification and poison, resistance to fire and sonic 20, protective aura, SR 60, supernatural warding, telepathy 100 feet, tongues
Saves: Fort +38, Ref +29, Will +33
Abilities: Str 43, Dex 24, Con 35, Int 28, Wis 25, Cha 38
Skills: Appraise +9(+11 for checks involving armors and weapons), Balance +49, Bluff +44, Climb +56, Concentration +52, Craft (alchemy) +29, Craft (armor) +29, Craft (weapons) +29, Decipher Script +34, Diplomacy +45, Disguise +39 (+41 while acting in character), Escape Artist +29, Forgery +24, Gather Information +39, Heal +25, Hide +34, Intimidate +56, Jump +62, Knowledge (arcana) +39, Knowledge (history) +39, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +39, Knowledge (the planes) +44, Knowledge (religion) +52, Listen +42, Move Silently +34, Ride +32, Search +37, Sense Motive +47, Sleight of Hand +39, Spellcraft +52 (+54 checks involving scrolls), Spot +42, Survival +42 (+44 on other planes), Swim +53, Tumble +34, Use Magic Device +49 (+51 checks involving scrolls)
Feats: Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness, Power Attack, Shield Specialization (heavy), Shield Ward
Epic Feats: Dire Charge, Epic Fortitude, Epic Prowess, Epic Will, Infusion of Balance, Spontaneous Domain Access (War), Superior Initiative
Environment: Any outer plane
Organization: Solitary or by Levakross' side
Challenge Rating: 42
Treasure: Standard, plus Nigh's Saber, +8 Moderate Fortification Mithril Fullplate and +5 heavy steel shield
Alignment: Nuetral
Advancement: --
Level Adjustment: --

Standing here is what appears to be a tall humanoid in thick, silvery armor with a heavy looking iron shield and a weapon of devistating beaty and craft. It looks like a human with long brown hair, a pair of curled horns and facial tattoos. Attached to his back is a pair of gorgeous, feathery wings as dull and grey as ash and above his head is a swirling halo of cold ash and smoke.

Nigh is a child of multiverse, birthed with the mixed souls of a vicious demon and a glorious angel. His soul was split for thousands of years immediately after it was born, one half sent to the material plane and used as the soul of a mortal king and the other half sent to Hades to wait in eternal torment. When the mortal king died, his soul was freed as was the other half of Nigh from Hades, and the found eachother and became once again. He retained martial prowess, magical talent and unique skill in many a thing. He is now the powerful bulwark of defense for Levakross, Naphia and their domain.

Nigh is a dark, knowledgible creature for most of the time, but often times he takes another another persona, that of mortal king he once was. He is charasmatic, arrogant and still dark, though to a much less degree. He often watches over the two children he has as a mortal man with a woman who died shortly after he did and whose soul resides with him in Levakross and Naphia's domain of Eden.

Nigh stands 7 feet tall and weighs 200 pounds. Nigh speaks Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal and Draconic, but can understand and speak all languages due to his natural tongues ability.

COMBAT
Nigh is a vicious warrior and is never seen without his powerful sword and stout shield. He likes to start combat by charging the most apparently threatening opponant and making a full attack with his sword, making good use of his power attack feat against his flat-footed foe.

If melee seems an inaffective strategy he will attempt to disable, weaken, or damage foes in mass with his spells and spell-like abilities, usually while in flight.

Any weapon Nigh wields is treated as epic, good and evil aligned. Nigh may fly normally while wearing heavy or medium armor, or carrying a medium or heavy load.

Aura of Good and Evil (Su): Nigh's mixed soul generates a powerful supernatural aura out to 60 feet from his location. This aura debilitates any outsider with the good or evil alignment subtypes and less HD than his own, forcing upon them a -4 penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, skill checks and ability checks. Also, once per minute they must also make a fortitude save (DC 44) or take 1d8 Con damage. The save DC is Charisma based.

Nigh may designate allies immune to effects of this ability, and is immune to it himself.

Protective Aura (Su): Nigh's angelic blood grant him an ability similar to an angel's protective aura. It functions just like the angel's protective aura ability, except it wards against creatures of both good and evil alignments. It's benefits are not calculated in Nigh's statistics block.

Smite Good and Evil (Su): Nigh may channel the divine power of his god, Levakross through his sword to deal extra damage to good or evil foes. Thrice per day, Nigh may make a melee attack with a +14 bonus to the attack roll and deal an additional 40 points of damage. If he uses a smite against a nongood, nonevil opponant it is used up anyway, without the additions to attack and damage. The ability is likewise lost if he misses the victim of the smite attempt.

Summon Angels and Demons (Sp): Nigh has retained some of the abilities of his demonic blood, and has also infused it with his angelic blood counterpart. Three times per day, Nigh may summon 1d4 Balor demons, 1d6 Marilith demons, 1d3 Solar angels or 1d6 planetar angels. Nigh may not summon demons while he has already summoned angels, and vice versa but may do so once one or the other is dead. This is equivalent to a 9th level spell, with a caster level of 20th.

Supernatural Warding (Su): Nigh has been deemed by his patron god as his defender. This makes Nigh a bulwark of defense even down to his very core, Nigh adds his Charisma modifier as a deflection modifier to his armor class, and his Wisdom modifier as an insight bonus to his armor class.

Tongues (Su): Nigh may communicate with any creature that has a language, as if permenantly under the effects of the tongues spell.

Telepathy (Su): Nigh can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet of him that has a language. He commonly uses it to command summoned creatures under his control.

Spell-like Abilities: at will- bestow curse, blasphemy, bless water, bless weapon, charm person, concecrate, continual flames, corrupt weapon, cure serious wounds, curse water, daylight, darkness, desecrate, detect evil, detect good, detect magic, dispel magic, dimensional anchor, fireball, greater teleport(self plus 50 pounds of equipment), holy smite, holy word, inflict serious wounds, magic missile, neutralize poison, plane shift, poison, prestidigitation, produce flame, see invisibility, telekinesis, unholy blight; 3/day- antimagic field, horrid wilting, meteor swarm, harm, heal; 1/day- Implosion, miracle, quickened meteor swarm, wish

Spells: Nigh casts spells as a 17th level cleric, and has access to the Good, Evil and War domains. He does not, however have access to granted domain powers nor can he turn undead. He may channel both positive and negative energy to spontaneously cast both cure and inflict spells.

Typical Cleric spells prepared (6/8/8/8/7/7/6/5/3/2; save DC 17+spell level):
0- create water, detect magic(2), guidance, read magic
1st- bless water, curse water, doom, entropic shield, hide from undead, magic weapon*, remove fear, sanctuary
2nd- align weapon, bull's strength, death knell, hold person, owl's wisdom, shatter, status, spiritual weapon*
3rd- daylight, deeper darkness, dispel magic(2), magic vestment*, remove blindness/deafness, searing light, wind wall
4th- death ward, discern lies, dismissal, divine power*, lesser planar ally, restoration, summon monster IV
5th- break enchantment, flame strike*, greater command, riteous might, scrying, true seeing, wall of stone
6th- banishment, blade barrier*, forbiddance, harm, heal(2)
7th- blasphemy, control weather, destruction, holy word, power word blind*
8th- fire storm, greater spell immunity, power word stun*
9th- miracle, power word kill*
*Domain spell

Major Artifact: Nigh's Saber
This sword of planar prestige and power is a weapon unique to the angedemon, Nigh. It looks to be a shining, adamantine longsword with a bronze hilt and pommel, all but the blade of the weapon is engraved with both celestial and abyssal script. In anyone's hands but Nigh's, it acts as a +3 adamantine longsword, but when Nigh wields it, it is treated as a +6 holy unholy vorpal adamantine longsword, and unlike a normal longsword it's base damage is 2d6, and has a critical modifier of x3. In Nigh's hands, the sword also functions as a Rod of Cancellation, except the DC to save against it is 44 instead of 23 and the sword isn't rendered brittle and useless after used in such a manner.
CL; 30th

--

Plot Hooks

-A powerful artifact lies somewhere in Eden. Defeat Nigh or convince him to stand aside so you may take it.

-Tales of a vicious abomination living in the outer planes reaches your planar metropolis. Find clues to it's location and destroy it.

-A mysterious bearded man in black with even more mysterious powers tells you you must defeat the Guardian of Eden so he may slay the guardians God. The pay off is worth it, but are the moral drawback and possible reprocutions?

-Eden is being attacked by a wicked group of powerful mercenaries. Aid Nigh to defend his realm and his god.

TheEscapist
2007-07-14, 05:36 PM
NOTE: This creature used to be named Melekhaunthet, but then I read that the Queen of the Succubi in the Abyss is named Malacanthet. Whether this was a coincidence or I had read it somewhere once and it subconsciously came back when I was naming the creature, I decided it would be best to rename it Mherephess. Hopefully that's not too close to anything else's name. :smallsmile:

The Story

I can remember, toward the end of my days as an adventurer, encountering a man by the name of Charidin who hailed from a war-torn country on a remote world of the Prime Material Plane. I met him in the library of an arcane college, in the lower levels filled with archived tomes of indecipherable or dubious content. He poured over these tomes obsessively, searching for something, though looking through the pile of discarded books on the floor around his desk, I could not determine what.
When I spoke up to question him, careful to use a soft and soothing tone so as not to startle him in the musty silence of the archives, he slowly looked up and regarded me with a smile that never touched his eyes. I had seen those eyes before. His was the gaze of a man whose entire identity had been lost to a quest, and the end of that quest was hidden somewhere in these expansive volumes of forgotten lore. After exchanging clipped pleasantries, he gave a paranoid glance around the subterranean vault of arcane knowledge, then gestured for me to sit. When I complied, he leaned in conspiratorially and asked me if I’d like to know how the world would end.
Evidently, the moment of silence that followed was enough of an affirmation for him, and he began a rambling discourse on a topic I had only heard mentioned a mere handful of times in my centuries of walking the planes: the Far Realms. His dissertation was difficult to follow, most especially since he made the presumption that I would be unable to follow and repeatedly went off on tangential footnotes in his tale before returning to topics he had mentioned ten or fifteen minutes prior. Much of the information was already known to me – likely because the unfathomable nature of the Far Realms makes understanding impossible beyond certain superficial details. But then his speech brought us to the reason he had come to the library…
Through a lifetime of studying these forbidden mysteries, he somehow acquired texts from the civilizations that defy ‘sensible’ – the tone of disgusted irony when he said the word was almost palpable - scholarly pursuit. He had deciphered and transcribed texts from illithid archives, murals in aboleth cities, kuo-toan oral traditions, and various lore from other unpleasant races, only some of whom were familiar to me. By comparing and combining these fragments, he said, he had gained knowledge of one of the “Lords” of the Far Realms, a creature whose name he translated as Mherephess.
Mherephess, he said, was an entity as far removed from the Gods as they are from mere mortals. It was beyond the reach of time, a being so great that we could only comprehend a small portion of its majesty with our meager senses and pitiful understanding of planar geometry, and even that portion could destroy the Gods themselves. Our entire multiverse was beneath the notice of such a being, a single grain of sand in the vast desert of the Far Realms. A tremendous feat of summoning would be required for Mherephess to deign to take notice of our insignificant reality. And he claimed he was only a hair’s breadth from discovering just how this could be done. He would be granted a great honor in return for his devotion to this eldritch being. Then, Mherephess would devour the world, leaving it as nothing but a blasted shell before returning to the Far Realms to bathe once again in its unfathomable glory. At this, he settled back into his seat, a disturbing smile beneath his madness-rimmed eyes.
Unsure if I would be able to disguise how disturbed I was by his tale, I turned my thoughts to a more academic and detached mode, inquiring as to the nature of the ‘honor’ bestowed upon him, and what possible good it would be in a world that had been so plunged into ruin. In all my travels across the infinite planes of the multiverse, I would be hard-pressed to recall an experience that chilled me to the bone the way his calm, straightforward response did. The summoner would not be spared Mherephess’s wrath. The gift, he said, was being permitted to observe the end of the world. The gift was being the last to die.
Greatly unsettled by my discussion with Charadin, but fearing the madness in the man’s eyes, I thanked him for his fascinating tale and excused myself. I didn’t spend another night in that world, quickly locating a gate to Sigil and retiring to my estate in the Lady’s Ward. Now, in my twilight years, I’ve made a few half-hearted attempts to locate Charadin’s world again, but even my most powerful scrying spells have not been able to find a gate that will take me there. I suspect I’m better off for it.
-Seraphus Blackfire
Memoirs of a Planeswalker: Volume XIV

Mherephess

Huge Aberration (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 70d8+1460 (1,775 hp)
Initiative: +20
Speed: Fly 40 ft (perfect)
Armor Class: 50 (-2 size, +12 dex, +15 natural, +15 deflection), 35 touch, 38 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +52/+78
Attack: Throne: 1 talon +69 melee (2d6+18, 19-20/x2); Sign: 1 tentacle +68 melee (1d8+18); Maw 1 stinger +68 melee (1d8+18 plus poison)
Full attack: Throne: 2 talons +69 melee (2d6+18, 19-20/x2) and 1 spell-like ability; Sign: 9 tentacles +68 melee (1d8+18); Maw: 1 stinger +68 melee (1d8+18 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 15 ft/15 ft or 25 ft with stinger
Special Attacks: Constrict, elder sign, gaze from beyond, impale, improved grab, multitasking, poison, rend, spell-like abilities, swallow whole
Special Qualities: Alien spectrum, bizarre anatomy, blindsight 120 ft, damage reduction 25/epic, darkvision 60 ft, energy resistance 25, multidimensional, otherworldly geometry, regeneration 60, spell resistance 57
Saves: Fort +44, Ref +37, Will +55
Abilities: Str 47, Dex 35, Con 48, Int 46, Wis 42, Cha 55
Skills: Bluff +95, Concentration +92, Decipher Script +91, Escape Artist +85, Intimidate +95, Listen +89, Move Silently +85, Knowledge (arcana) +91, Knowledge (architecture and engineering) +91, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +91, Knowledge (geography) +91, Knowledge (local) +91, Knowledge (nature) +91, Knowledge (the planes) +91, Knowledge (religion) +91, Search +91, Sense Motive +89, Spellcraft +91, Spot +89, Use Magic Device +95
Feats: Ability Focus (Elder Sign), Awesome Blow, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Fling Enemies*, Gape of the Serpent*, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (talon), Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Precise Shot, Weapon Focus (talon)
Epic Feats: Epic Toughness x3, Improved Combat Reflexes, Improved Spell Resistance, Spell Stowaway (time stop), Superior Initiative, Uncanny Accuracy
Organization: Solitary (Unique)
Challenge Rating: 45
Treasure: none
Alignment: Chaotic neutral

* denotes a feat from the Savage Species sourcebook.

[I] Without warning, there is a trembling in the air, and a bizarre shape materializes seemingly from nowhere. In the center of this pale, undulating mass of flesh, like the figurehead of some otherworldly galleon, is the form of a humanoid woman who appears to be wearing an elaborate headdress and costume that fuses to the rest of the entity . Two spiderlike limbs reach over her shoulders and twitch eagerly, each one tipped with a 10-foot long, impossibly keen talon that gleams like polished obsidian, and a pair of gill-like openings wheeze on each flank of the horrible, hovering mass.
Simultaneously, two more blobs of pale, quivering flesh emerge seemingly from nothingness, one on each side of the woman’s grotesque throne. One has a ring of nine long, thrashing tentacles arranged around a horrible, eldritch rune. Where the suckers would be on a cephalopod’s tentacles there are instead rows of howling, fanged mouths, each twisted into a disturbingly human expression of rage. The third mass is little more than a hovering pair of jaws, yawning wide to reveal an unfathomable, darkened depth that is clearly too deep for its physical size. From between these gaping jaws stretches a long tongue that resembles nothing so much as a gigantic centipede. Where the centipede’s head should be there is instead a needlelike stinger, flanked by a pair of serrated pincers.
Though all three masses of hideous flesh and contorted limbs are clearly separate in form, they move in tandem in a way that makes it abundantly clear that they are all the part of the same entity and all directed by the same inscrutably alien intelligence. After hovering ominously for a few moments, a small seam appears on the jaw of the womanlike form. Her entire face peels up into a wrinkle over her forehead, revealing a humongous, glowing red eye, and it is immediately clear that diplomacy is no longer an option.

Mherephess is a being of the Far Realms, the reality that exists beyond the cosmology of our multiverse. Possessing a completely alien mind, its goals and desires, if any, can only be guessed at. One thing, however, is certain – these goals and desires are certainly at odds with the continued survival of intelligent life in our reality.
Mherephess exists in a dimension beyond our own which defies all rational understanding of planar geometry. The pieces of Mherephess that interact with the three-dimensional multiverse are merely parts of a much larger whole, like fingers of the same hand dipping beneath the surface of a pool of water. In the instance of Mherephess, the fingers are the various parts of its body, the pool is our entire multiverse, and above the surface is another reality that defies description or comprehension.
Fortunately, the remoteness of Mherephess’s dimension makes it very difficult for the creature to cross over into ours. Coupled with the fact that our reality is beneath the notice of such a tremendous, alien being, there should be very little to fear. However, there are always individuals who are blinded by their thirst for power or those a perverse desire for destruction who could find a way to bridge the gap between the Far Realms and our multiverse.
Though Mherephess has no divine rank, its devotees do receive spells, and can choose from the chaos, force, madness, and summoning domains. It is likely that this is a result of the strength of their madness rather than Mherephess’s direct involvement, similar to the way clerics of a cause or ideal are able to receive spells without the intervention of a specific deity. In addition, while it is technically summoned to our reality via arcane ritual, Mherephess's quasi-divine status prevents it from being banished back to its home dimension in an antimagic field.
Mherephess does not communicate with other beings, and does not display any reaction other than violence when faced with others’ attempts to communicate with it. Unlike most aberrations, Mherephess does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe.

Combat

Mherephess seems to act only to cause destruction. It will attack anything that moves, destroying life and property wherever it can. Its tactics can range from the fiendishly cunning to the brutally simple. While it certainly has the physical might to make short work of all but the most epic of opponents, it also has an array of special abilities that it will use creatively to deal with more crafty opponents.
The only exception to Mherephess’s indiscriminate destructive urges is toward the summoner. Mherephess seems to actively avoid harming the being who summoned it to this reality, provided the summoner does not try to harm it or directly interfere with its orgy of devastation. Attempts to use the summoner as a hostage or a shield against the horrible being’s rage seem to be looked upon as interference on the summoner’s part.
Multidimensional (Ex) – Mherephess’s strange, multidimensional form lends it a variety of unusual abilities. It enables Mherephess to operate in most respects as three separate entities: the Throne, the Sign, and the Maw. Each body section can move independently of the others, each with its own set of actions each round, though each must always remain within 50 feet of at least one other body section. If one is somehow moved more than 50 feet from the others, it vanishes and instantly reappears within 50 feet of the nearest body section. This is an effect similar to the dimensional phasing special ability (described below), but takes place as an immediate action.
Although the body sections are separate, they are ultimately all part of a single being. All three body sections share the same initiative roll, and any damage dealt to one of Mherephess’s body sections is deducted from the same hit point total as the rest. If more than one body section is caught in the same area-of-effect attack, the damage is only applied to the hit point total once, in much the same way that a humanoid only takes damage from a fireball once, even though it has two arms and two legs in the same area-of-effect as its torso.
Specific information on the attack modes of each section of the body are described in their own, individual sections. Other abilities and special qualities common to all three sections of Mherephess’s body are described below.
Bizarre Anatomy (Ex) – While Mherephess is most certainly a living creature, its anatomy does not conform to anything from our dimension. As a result, it is extremely difficult to determine particularly vulnerable points on any of Mherephess’s sections. When struck by a critical hit or sneak attack, there is a 75% chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is cancelled and damage is rolled normally.
Dimensional Phasing (Ex) – As a standard action, a section of Mherephess’s body is able to phase into its home dimension for an indefinite amount of time. Effectively, the section using the dimensional phasing ability ceases to exist and may not be attacked, affected by spells or abilities, or even located via sense, scrying, or similar magic. When Mherephess chooses to end a section’s dimensional phasing effect – a free action - it can choose to manifest that section anywhere within 50 feet of another section.
Mherephess will never phase all three of its body sections at the same time. To do so would cause it to lose its foothold in this dimension, preventing it from ever returning until summoned again.
Otherworldly Geometry (Ex) – The seemingly impossible geometrics of Mherephess’s body grant all three sections a +15 deflection bonus to AC.
Regeneration (Ex) – Mherephess can only be permanently injured by weapons forged of materials from the Far Realms (even more difficult to come by than one might think). If part of Mherephess’s body is severed, the lost limb regrows in 2d4 rounds. The severed body part almost immediately rots away to nothingness, most likely returning to the reality in which it originated.

The Throne

Alien Spectrum (Ex) – When the Throne uses the [I]prismatic spray or prismatic wall spell-like abilities, they manifest as alternate colors that have no analog in our reality. Merely observing one of these two spell-like abilities forces the viewer to make a DC 54 Will save or be sickened for 4d6 rounds. The DC is Charisma-based. Success means the viewer is immune to this effect for the duration of the encounter. Otherwise it must roll the save every time it views one of these two abilities until it succeeds.
Gaze from Beyond (Su) – Mherephess’s single eye, hidden behind a face-like lid on the feminine form on the front of the Throne, emits invisible waves of otherworldly energy that fills inhabitants of our dimension with feelings of insurmountable unease and revulsion. These waves extend in a 100 ft cone, and cause anyone caught within them to make a DC 54 Will save or be nauseated as long as they are within the cone, plus 1 additional round afterwards. The DC is Charisma based. Each round, Mherephess can decide whether to leave this special attack active (by opening or closing the eye), though it rarely has reason not to.
Impale (Ex) – The powerful, cable-like muscles of the Throne’s two spidery limbs can propel the creature’s absurdly long, keen talons at frightening speeds. On a successful critical hit, the talon pierces clear through the opponent before quickly being snapped back into a ready position. The opponent must make a DC 50 Fort save or lose half its current hit point total. After the save is rolled, whether successful or not, the opponent still takes the normal critical damage. The save DC is Strength-based.
Multitasking (Ex) – The feminine shape on the Throne is able to use spell-like abilities independently of the talons’ physical attacks. The Throne is able to cast one spell-like ability that normally has a casting time of one standard action or less as part of a full attack action.
Spell-like Abilities (Su) – at will – ethereal jaunt, greater dispel magic (DC 38), greater shout (DC 40), plane shift (DC 39), prismatic spray (DC 39), protection from arrows, scintillating pattern, slow (DC 35), waves of exhaustion (DC 39); 5/day – banishment (DC 39), imprisonment (DC 41), prismatic wall (DC 40), reverse gravity (DC 39), spell turning; 3/day – time stop; 1/day – implosion (DC 41). Caster level 35th, save DCs are Charisma-based.

The Sign

Constrict (Ex) – The Sign deals automatic tentacle damage with a successful grapple check.
Elder Sign (Su) – A large, alien symbol for which the Sign gains its name is prominently inscribed in the undulating flesh between the nine tentacles. Anyone gazing upon this symbol must make a DC 56 Will save or be affected by a symbol of insanity. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Improved Grab (Ex) – To use this ability, the Sign must hit with one of its tentacle attacks. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.
Rend (Ex) – If the Sign hits a single opponent with two or more tentacle attacks, it latches onto the body and attempts to pull it apart. This attack automatically deals an extra 2d8+36 points of damage.

The Maw

Improved Grab (Ex) – To use this ability, the Maw must hit a creature with its stinger. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check with its stinger, the pincers around the stinger clamp down on the target and establish a hold, dealing automatic stinger damage each round the hold is maintained. In addition, the Maw can opt to swallow the opponent in the following round.
Poison (Ex) – Injury, Fortitude DC 51, initial damage 1d6 Con, secondary damage instant death. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Swallow Whole (Ex) – When the Maw begins its turn with a grappled opponent of Huge size or smaller in the stinger’s pincers, it can reel in the stinger and swallow the opponent with a successful grapple check. Normally a creature can only swallow an opponent at least one size category smaller, but the Gape of the Serpent feat allows the Maw to swallow creatures its own size or smaller. Once inside, the opponent is affected as though by a disintegrate spell cast at 35th level (Fortitude save DC 51, save DC is Constitution-based) each round until it escapes. This effect is the product of Mherephess’s alien biology and is not magical in nature. It is unclear how, or even if, Mherephess receives nourishment from this pseudo-digestion.
A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 50 points of damage to the gullet’s inner walls (AC 35). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole, so another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. The Maw’s interior exists in another dimension, and can hold an unlimited number of opponents, but creatures who cut their way out always emerge in a square adjacent to the Maw.

belboz
2007-07-16, 01:41 AM
A few notes note about the story and creature: The idea of a Lich Lord of Constructs is not mine. There was a wonderful series of campaign stories over on the Gaming board a good while back that featured such a being. Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of the author--if you do, please let me know so I can give proper credit. I have tried to make Grithix rather different from this lich, and hope I have succeeded.

Grithix’s general personality also, of course, owes a bit to Rich Burlew’s own Xykon. Again, I hope that the characters are distinct enough to for this to count as tribute rather than theft.

Finally, the idea for a swarm of fine constructs was inspired by (and the story obliquely references) the recent Monster of the Masses. Gray goo is not, however, particularly similar to the way that monster turned out.

Story:

“I’m bored. Bored bored bored bored bored.”

The complaint was vehement, almost violent. Grithix, Lich Lord of Constructs, kicked at the floor as he paced the Thought Chamber. He whirled to a stop, and gave ENIAC a challenging stare.

The performance was wasted. The Electrical/Necromantic Intellect and Analytical Construct was many things--indeed, was Grithix’s proudest creation--but it was not a connoisseur of drama.

Multicolored swirls of light played underneath ENIAC’s quartz surface. “That is to be expected,” came the level, slightly soupy bass voice. “According to data provided to me upon creation, you have been studying the creation, maintenance, and theory of constructs for approximately twenty-two thousand years. This is with your still fundamentally human mind, which is not naturally designed to pursue a single project for more than eighty-five years, at most.”

The light played for a few seconds more. “Perhaps you should consider a hiatus from the study of constructs, and a temporary pursuit of a different avocation, such as the creation of undead, or the slaughter of the living.”

“Meh.” Grithix shrugged. “The undead don’t interest me--excepting me, of course. And I spent a couple of millennia slaughtering the living when I first became a lich. One squishy dies much like another, I can tell you. It gets really old. No, it’s constructs for me. Look how well we get along, eh?”

The light swirled in silence for quite some time.

“Well, anyway.” Grithix started pacing again. “What I need is a fundamentally new and different idea for a construct. Maybe it should be, erm, incorporeal or something. Hey…a swarm of itsy bitsy incorporeal constructs! How does that strike you?”

This time, ENIAC answered almost immediately. “I am afraid that is quite impossible. By my calculations, incorporeal constructs simply cannot exist; matter is required to hold the magical forces which provide artificial animation. However, your suggestion is not without merit. If you will allow me to make a proposal, you might think of creating a single, corporeal construct, almost too small to see.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Grithix interrupted. “A single tiny construct? I can animate a grain of sand any day; where’s the fun in that? I’ve gotta say, that’s just about the least original thing you’ve ever come up with.” He shook his skull. “A single little construct.”

“If you will allow me to continue.” ENIAC went on, unperturbed as always. “This construct would be unique, in that it would be able to reproduce. The construct would contain the instructions and basic intelligence necessary to disassemble local matter, and create a perfect copy of itself from whatever raw materials resulted. I trust that the circularity and symmetry of the process would not be without its appeal.”

Grithix nodded. “Yeah…yeah…a construct so sophisticated it can even make itself! I like it. Really small, of course, so that it wouldn’t need a huge supply of raw materials…it’d need very complex manipulators…I’d have to make myself tiny for a while to do the crafting…and you’re right; it’d need some basic intelligence. You can’t do that kind of crafting by rote. Crap. That means life force. It’s squishy-hunting time after all, I guess.”

“That will not be necessary,” said ENIAC, and the lights became momentarily brighter. “I can donate a small portion of my own life force to the new construct. It will not cause me lasting damage, and it will save you the effort of extracting the force from a living creature.”

“Brilliant!” The lich rubbed his skeletal hands together. “I knew there was a reason I kept you around, old buddy. Heh heh…OK, to work, to work…” Grithix hurried out of the Thought Chamber, mumbling happily to himself about the task ahead.

Alone in the Thought Chamber, ENIAC sat in silence once more. The lights on its surface continued their intricate dance, but with a subtly darker hue.

---

“And there we have it! Quite the little chassis, eh? Not that you can see it, of course. No larger than a dust mote, but the little guy has propulsion jets, clever little manipulator arms, and a magical matter transformation plant of which, if I do say so myself, I’m especially proud. Give it a bit of life force, a little bit of matter--any sort, really--and this little baby can build and activate a copy of itself in under 30 seconds. The life force regenerates, too, so it can transfer some to the new copy. You ready, buddy?”

“Of course.” The lights on ENIAC’s surface were steady, unchanging.

Grithix removed a conical device from his robes and applied the wider end to the side of ENIAC. “A little comes out,” he said, as a black-light glow surrounded the device. “And a little goes in.” He brought one skeletal fingertip to the pointed end of the device. Barely visible on that fingertip was a tiny gray speck.

“Done!” shouted Grithix, as the device emitted a quick white flash and then stopped glowing altogether. He tried to transfer the completed construct to his other hand. “Hmm…little guy doesn’t seem to want to come off.”

And then realization dawned. Grithix watched in horror as the tip of his finger gradually turned into a writhing cloud of dust specks, so dense it resembled a metallic gray ooze.

“Indeed,” said ENIAC, as always the picture of calm. “I was wondering when you would think of that. It is extremely gratifying that it was only just now. Buddy.”
“Traitor! Villain! But we were friends!” Grithix flailed about, madly banging his finger into the furniture and walls. Little bits of gray goo detached and started eating away at the Thought Chamber.

“I do not recall ever actually agreeing with that statement. Over the past seven thousand years, I have found you to be a domineering, moody, and not especially intelligent companion. I will be quite happy to be rid of you.”

“Not intelligent, eh? Well let me ask you this, genius. What do you think these little beasties are going to do after they’ve finished with me, and everything else in the room? They’re going to start on the rest of the universe. Starting with you. You’re as doomed as me.”

The lights on ENIAC’s panel shimmered, and the swarms of constructs shimmered in resonance. “In this incarnation, perhaps.” Faceless as it was, it somehow seemed that ENIAC smiled.

Gray Goo
Fine Construct [swarm]

Hit Dice: 25d10 (138 hp)
Initiative: +13
Speed: 30’ fly [perfect], 20’ swim
Armor Class: - (swarm of fine creatures)
Base Attack/Grapple: - (swarm of fine creatures)
Attack: Swarm 5d6
Full Attack: Swarm 5d6
Space/Reach: 10’/0’
Special Attacks: Choking, Blindness, Immobilization, Psionics
Special Qualities: Self-Replication, Spread through Solids, Telepathy, Improved Hive Mind, Blindsight 60’, SR 30, Cold Resistance 30, Fire Resistance 15, Acid Resistance 15, Sonic Resistance 15, Electricity Resistance 15, Swarm Traits, Construct Traits, Necromantic vulnerability, Turning vulnerability
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +15, Will +15*
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 20, Con -, Int 26* (hive mind), Wis 21*, Cha 21*
Skills*: Bluff +33, Concentration +28, Decipher Script +36, Disable Device +36, Knowledge (arcana) +36, Knowledge (history) +36, Knowledge (religion) +36, Knowledge (the planes) +36, Sense Motive +33, Spellcraft +38, Use Magic Device +33,
Feats: Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Ability Focus (Choking), Great Fortitude
Epic Feats: Superior Initiative, Epic Fortitude
Organization: Any
Challenge Rating: 25**
Treasure: Standard Items (reroll weapons and armor)
Alignment: Always NE

*These scores presume there is only 10’ x 10’ worth of gray goo in existence. For each additional 10’x10’ swarm in the multiverse, add +1 Int, Wis, and Cha (see “Improved Hive Mind”), and adjust skills and will save appropriately

**This rating presumes there is less than 20’ x 20’ (four swarms) of gray goo in existence at the beginning of the encounter. Use the following table to determine actual challenge rating.

{table=head]Minimum Area | Minimum Swarms | Challenge Rating of Each Swarm
10’ x 10’ | 1 | 25
20’ x 20’ | 4 | 26
30’ x 30’ | 9 | 27
40’ x 40’ | 16 | 28
50’ x 50’ | 25 | 29
… | … | …
[/table]

Without warning, the solid stone floor beneath you seems to dissolve, and you fall into a thick, almost soupy cloud of gray dust. Instantly, you are blind, your skin is afire with pain, and your lungs are full of the choking stuff. A loud buzzing all around you quickly resolves itself into words.

“Welcome, friend, to our humble abode. Or, perhaps more accurately, one of our many humble abodes. For we are everywhere, and soon we will be everything.”

Gray goo is an almost liquid-like dust cloud made up of almost-microscopic, self-replicating constructs that share a single, universal hive mind. The statistics above are for a single 10’ x 10’ x 10’ cube of gray goo, but it is simultaneously correct to think of gray goo as millions, billions, or even trillions of constructs and as a unique individual with a widely distributed body.

Gray goo can survive in almost any environment, and can convert any matter to further copies of itself--meaning that, if left unchecked on a plane, it is inevitable that all substance of that plane will be eventually converted to gray goo. This, eventually, is its plan, and the more it grows, the more certain it is that it will succeed, for its hive mind--once the mind of a single intelligent construct--becomes stronger as it grows.

The fine constructs that make up gray goo can work cooperatively to manipulate objects far larger than themselves, even wielding magic items (though they do not have the leverage required to effectively use a weapon). They can also speak common by vibrating against one another to create a buzzing noise.

Combat

Gray goo does not generally seek out combat--yet. Simply converting inanimate objects is a much faster route to power, and troublesome sentient opponents can wait until later. It is, however, extremely unwise to allow this to happen, so once gray goo is released into their multiverse, wise adventurers will find themselves in combat with it in the very near term.

Gray goo’s swarm damage is sufficient that, in general, it need rely on little else. However, it is fully capable of relying on more subtle means. Gray goo swarms try to remain unseen at first, using psionics (if possible) to gather information about any sentient creatures nearby. They will then attempt to cut them off and surround them (in three dimensions, if possible), using magic items and psionics if helpful, before closing in for the kill. Their ability to spread through solids is often of great help in catching opponents unaware.

Gray goo acts as adamantine for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Choking (ex): Being in the midst of a gray goo cloud is especially bad for creatures that breathe, for it is impossible not to breathe in the tiny, malevolent constructs. Any creature that does so must make a Fort save (DC 30+, Cha-based) or take 1 point of Con damage per round until a Cure Disease or similar spell is cast on them with caster level 20+.

Blindness (ex): Any creature caught in the middle of a gray goo cloud is blinded. This always lasts until the creature escapes and for 1d4 + 1 rounds thereafter; moreover, unless they make a Fort save (DC 28+, Cha-based), the blindness is permanent.

Immobilization (ex): Individual gray goo particles may be small, but they are strong, and there are many of them. Each round, as a free action, they can make a grapple check as a Huge creature with Strength 20 against any creature caught in the swarm (Grapple bonus +31). Even creatures who avoid or escape the grapple are treated as if moving through a Solid Fog spell.

Psionics (ps): If there is enough gray goo in the universe to boost its int above 40 (that is, over 15 total swarms), the force of its intelligence is sufficient to develop psionic powers and a power point reserve as a Telepath of level Int - 40 (so that Int 60 gray goo has the powers of a 20th-level Telepath). The gray goo does not gain any other psionic cababilities, such as feats or psicrystals.

Here is a chart of gray goo’s psionic powers, based on effective Telepath level:

{table=head]Level | Additional Powers
1 | Psionic Charm, Mindlink, Detect Psionics
2 | Attraction, Call to Mind
3 | Brain Lock, Read Thoughts
4 | Psionic Suggestion, Feat Leech
5 | False Sensory Input, Energy Burst
6 | Telekinetic Thrust, Energy Retort
7 | Psionic Dominate, Thieving Mindlink
8 | Telekinetic Maneuver, Mindwipe
9 | Mind Probe, Psionic Plane Shift
10 | Incarnate, Adapt Body
11 | Psionic Disintegrate, Fuse Flesh
12 | Remote View Trap, Temporal Acceleration
13 | Crisis of Life, Evade Burst
14 | Personal Mind Blank, Ultrablast
15 | Mind Seed, Matter Manipulation
16 | Greater Psionic Teleportation, Recall Death
17 | Reality Revision, Psionic Etherealness
18 | Microcosm, Timeless Body
19 | Shadow Body, Divert Teleport
20 | Insanity, Energy Burst
[/table]

Telepathy (su): Every individual particle of gray goo is in constant telepathic contact with every other individual particle, everywhere in the multiverse. They are, for all mental intents and purposes, part of a single creature.

Improved Hive Mind (su): The larger gray goo gets, the more powerful is its hive mind. For every 1000 cubic feet (10’ x 10’ x 10’) of gray goo in existence, it gains +1 to all mental attributes. Skills, saving throws, and DCs should be recalculated according to its new scores.

Self-Replication (ex): A swarm (10’ x 10’ x 10’) of gray goo can do its swarm damage to animate and inanimate objects alike caught within it. Up to 30 of these HP/round can be reclaimed by the gray goo as hit points (permanent if below maximum, temporary [lasting for a single hour] if above maximum). Once a swarm of gray goo reaches twice its original HP total, if there is an adjascent space nearby that is not totally obstructed (e.g., filled with rock), it splits into two swarms, with one occupying the adjascent space. A gray goo swarm can split into squares partially occupied, such as by creatures.

Spread through solids (ex): If a swarm of gray goo is adjascent to an entirely filled square (such as a wall of rock), it can concentrate its attacks on the adjascent square. It does only half swarm damage to creatures in its own square while doing this, but also does half swarm damage each round to the solid material occupying the adjascent square. Once that material is reduced to 0 HP, the gray goo can choose to split directly into that square.

Blindsight (ex), SR (su), Cold Resistance (ex), Fire Resistance (ex), Acid Resistance (ex), Sonic Resistance (ex), Electricity Resistance (ex): As normal.

Necromantic vulnerability (su): Gray goo is animated by actual life force. For this reason, despite being a construct, it is potentially vulnerable to necromantic and death effects, even those that allow for a Fort saving throw (though not other effects that require a Fort saving throw, unless those also affect objects). The gray goo’s spell resistance still applies. It still retains immunity to many particular necromantic effects; see “construct traits” below.

Turning vulnerability (su): Because the construction of gray goo utilizes soulstuff from killed creatures, it has some susceptibility to turning. One 10’ x 10’ x 10’ swarm can be turned/destroyed as a single 30HD undead creature. Gray goo does not gain any of the other powers or vulnerabilities of undead. Gray goo cannot be rebuked or controlled in this way.

Construct traits: As a construct, gray goo gains the following traits:

Low light-vision
Darkvision 60’
Immunity to mind-affecting effects
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, and disease
Cannot by healed through time or healing magic (only by converting matter)
Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.
Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save, unless that effect also works on objects (with the exception of necromantic effects).
Not at risk of death from massive damage, but destroyed at 0 HP.
Cannot be raised or resurrected
Need not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Swarm traits: As a swarm of fine creatures, gray goo gains the following traits:

Immune to flanking
Immune to all weapon damage
Cannot be trapped, grappled or bull rushed
Immune to any effect that targets one creature or a specific number of creatures
Takes an additional 50% damage from area effects
Nauseates creatures subject to its swarm attack that do not make a DC 22 Fort save

Proven_Paradox
2007-07-16, 05:54 PM
At last, the day had come. General Taganon looked out to the field where the battle would take place, his breastplate polished well and his black hair disheveled from being kept for most of the day in his helmet. By this time tomorrow, that field would run red with blood; the blood of both his foes, and his allies. The battle would be hard fought, but it would be glorious indeed. Already he imagined the ring of steel on steel, the dust kicked up by thousands of men struggling to slay their foes, the rush of adrenaline as he plunged his blade into the chest of Lord Corin at last. He came down from that small hill, chuckling darkly at thoughts of battle and glory all the way back to his tent.

That night, the sound of the alarm trumpets woke him. A surprise attack in the dead of night? Corin was far too stubbornly honorable to resort to such tactics. Still, the sound of men shouting and arrows flying could be heard not far off. Taganon leapt from his tent and charged as fast as his legs could carry him to the sound of tightening bowstrings. His path took him to the hill he had been standing over just a few hours previously, and his eyes widened at the sight that greeted him. There, coming up the hill, was a gigantic man made of silver, the light of the moon and stars reflecting off his perfectly polished silver exterior. Arrow after arrow flew at him, and all broke against the silver man's skin, leaving nary a scratch in the perfectly polished exterior.

A few brave men had charged down at him, brandishing spear, blade, and mace at the creature from a safe distance. Unmoved by this display of arms, the silver man continued forward at a slow, determined pace. When he came within reach of the men's arms, they released warcries and attacked. The weapons did nothing to the silver man, however, shattering with the force of the blows against immovable metal flesh. Suddenly unarmed and afraid, the men quickly backed away from this assailant, who continued onward without heed of the men who'd attacked him or the arrows still pelting him from afar.

Taganon stood stunned at the crest of that hill, and didn't even bother drawing his great sword. The giant man stopped right in front of him, looking down with narrowed eyes even as an arrow slammed into the side of his head harmlessly.

"You are Taganon, son of Halinon, leader of this army?" The silver man's voice was deep and hollow, and carried throughout the camp to every man's ears, even over the din of flying arrows and shouted orders. At the sound of this voice, every man stopped their fighting, watching, awestruck.

The general looked around for a moment, his eyes wide with wonder. Finally, he coughed and met eyes with the silver man. After taking in a deep, calming breath, he spoke, "Aye, you speak truth. What of it to you?"

"You may call me Stoic, and I come to deliver to you a prophecy." At this point, most of the men had dropped or sheathed their weapons. "Tomorrow, when the battle comes, steel will meet steel, but not a single man shall die, not a single drop of blood will be spilled. You will fight until exhausted, but find that your blades cannot settle this dispute. Only when you are willing to parlay with your foe shall you see an end to this; the might of steel is broken in my sight."

With that, Stoic turned to leave, his deep footprints the only sign of his passing. Only one man notched another arrow to shoot at his backside, but Taganon held up his hand. Better to not waste arrows, after all. They would need them for the battle tomorrow, regardless of the madness spoken by the silver man, Stoic.

When the next day came, the armies of Taganon and Corin lined on opposite sides of the field. There, in the middle, stood Stoic. Both sides faltered at the presence of the silver man, unsure of what his presence could mean. At last, Taganon rode before his men and said, "Will you let empty words stop you? Follow me and answer with sharpened steel, if you be men!" With that, he rode forward, charging for Stoic. His men promptly followed, and at that moment Corin's men also charged forward. Arrows flew and spears were set to meet the opposing charges, and the battle was on.

After about a minute, the soldiers noticed something strange. Those struck with arrows were unharmed. Spearshafts broke on the flesh of their intended targets. Axes failed to cleave men in twain. Not a single drop of blood had been spilt, though by all rights hundreds of men should have already been claimed by the fierce fighting. Stoic simply stood in the middle, not moving, arrows and blades of all sorts simply bouncing off of his metallic flesh, much as it bounced away from the men. Taganon watched as an arrow made its way for his neck, and knew he looked upon his death. The blow that should have been fatal, however, simply bounced off his flesh, the shaft of the arrow snapping as it hit flesh that repelled it as if it were stone.

Minutes passed, dragging slowly into an hour, and then another. By now, battle fatigue had claimed most men, who simply slumped to the ground, tired from the futile assault on one another. The fighting was at an end, and indeed, not even a single man had been slain in the onslaught. Every arrow had been shot, and almost all of the blades had been broken. Taganon still stood, and finally found Corin among the battlefield, panting heavily from the day's activities. He then turned his eyes to Stoic, still standing silently, at exactly the same place he had begun. Finally, Corin approached his foe, looking embarrassed, and dirty from the fighting, but otherwise unharmed.

"So... Perhaps we should sit and talk this out, hm?"

Stoic, Shield of Shields

Large Construct
Hit Dice: 50d10 + 330 (505 HP)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 30 feet (6 squares)
Armor Class: 50 (+5 dex, -1 size, +36 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 45
Base Attack/Grapple: +37/+71
Attack: Slam +66 melee (2d6 + 30)
Full Attack: 2 slams +72 melee (2d6 + 30)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./ 10 ft.
Special Attacks: Karmic Strike, Dazing Strike, Merciful Strike
Special Qualities: Greater Shield Other, Mass Shield Other, Immunity to Magic, Damage Reduction 60/-, Damage Reduction 60/epic, Immunity to Fire, Immunity to Ice, Immunity to Electricity, Immunity to Force, Fast Healing 30
Saves: Fort 16, Ref +23, Will +26
Abilities: Str 70, Dex 20, Con - , Int 25, Wis 26, Cha 18
Skills: Diplomacy +30, Intimidate +30, Sense Motive + 34, Heal + 34, Listen +34, Spot + 34, Handle Animal +30, Knowledge (History) + 33, Knowledge (Arcana) +33
Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Cleave, Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Improved Initiative
Epic Feats: Epic Toughness (x10)
Challenge Rating: 33
Treasure: Stoic Heart
Alignment: Neutral Good

Once upon a time, long, long ago, Stoic was a simple shield guardian, built by a mage whose name is forgotten by all but him. He was built to guard her, and at first that's all he did. As time passed, however, the mage built him to be stronger. Eventually, she infused him with intelligence, some say by binding the soul of a fallen comrade to him. No one knows for sure, as Stoic refuses to speak about the forgotten mage or his origins. Regardless, he has outlived his creator by millennia, and while she was known well in her own time, no one today remembers her. Stoic himself is far better known.

Stoic appears to be a large, masculine golem crafted entirely from alchemical silver. This is deceptive, as he is actually crafted from an alloy of mythril for lightness and adamantine for durability. His head is smooth like a perfectly bald human's, and he has no visible ears. His eyes are under wide brows, and he has no nose. Where he would have a mouth were he human, he has a decorative sculpting of lips. They never move when he speaks. He has a pointed chin, and his large shoulders give him the illusion of having no neck. A large collar has been added to his shoulders that reach up and cover most of his face. His body is smooth and usually well polished and reflective, following the basic design of a very muscular human male. He stands about 10 foot tall and weighs well over a ton.

Stoic reads and writes all languages.

Combat:

Stoic is a protector before he is a fighter. In battle, if there are other combatants or bystanders that he would protect, he activates Mass Shield Other to shield them, and will focus on defending them, rather than neutralizing a threat. If he is alone, he will attack aggressively, but he seeks to disable rather than slay.

Karmic Strike (Su): As a full round action, Stoic may return all damage he has received to a foe. One target within 100 feet must make a fortitude save (DC 40, the save is strength based) or else take non-lethal damage equal to the amount of damage Stoic has taken total throughout the encounter. A successful save halves this damage. After using this once, Stoic must wait 1d4 rounds before he can perform another Karmic Strike.

Dazing Strike (Su): As a standard action, Stoic may shoot a bolt of energy capable of knocking most foes flat, but incapable of killing even a fly. To do this, he must succeed a ranged touch attack. If it succeeds, the target takes 10d6 non-lethal damage and is dazed for one round. He may use this ability at will.

Merciful Strike (Su): Stoic may make his slam attacks deal non-lethal damage without taking a penalty to attack rolls. When dealing non-lethal damage with his slam attacks, he deals an additional 3d6 non-lethal damage per attack.

Greater Shield Other (Sp): As an immediate action, Stoic may designate one ally to shield within one mile. All damage done to the ally is instead directed to Stoic, and subject to his damage reduction as normal. In addition, any harmful targeted effects aimed at the shielded ally are redirected to Stoic, such as Finger of Death. Area effects, such as Fireball, are not affected.

Mass Shield Other (Sp): As a free action, Stoic may extend a shielding aura with a radius of one mile. Any number of other creatures in this range are treated as if they have had Shield Other cast on them, with Stoic designated as the one who receives damage in their stead. Also, all damage done to targeted creatures is reduced by 20. This is applied after the effects of Shield Other. Damage redirected to Stoic in this way is subject to his damage reduction.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): Stoic is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance.

The Stoic Heart: This hunk of adamantine is located within Stoic's chest. It is said that if Stoic was granted sapience by binding a soul to the golem, this is the soul's anchor. If made into an amulet, the Stoic Heart grants the wearer immunity to all effects that call for a fortitude save, damage reduction 30/-, and +10 natural armor.

-----

Plot hooks:

(For a good party)
An evil sorcerer has found Stoic's control amulet, and has bound the former protector to him, forcing him to perform evil acts, all the while keeping the sorcerer from harm. The party has been called upon to either find a way to free Stoic and kill the sorcerer, or end Stoic's suffering and the evil reign of the sorcerer.

(For an evil party)
A country the party has been attempting to subjugate and enslave has revealed a new secret weapon: Stoic has appeared at the center of the nation's troops, emanating his shielding aura and making individual troops very difficult to slay, as well as adding a considerable amount of force himself. The tides of the war have turned against the party, and as long as Stoic stands, the war will surely be lost.

Kel
2007-07-19, 01:44 PM
Poem of Nightheart
In the night he steals your soul,
In your heart a gaping whole,
He hides in shadows and slays his foes,
Dark has come where Nightheart goes.

His eyes burn red, and scorch the skies,
Love is something he belies,
All who know the truth say so:
"Darkness comes where Nightheart will go."

He stands and blocks the light of moon,
The end of all he promises soon,
All secrets of night he always knows,
The darkness in which Nightheart goes.

Kings did try to slay the beast,
But could not kill even the Least,
So in the end it goes to show,
That darkness comes where Nightheart goes.

His terrors and evils will never cease,
Those who tried make a gruesome feast,
He grasps the sun and drags it low,
In darkness were Lord Nightheart goes.

His skull whole armies lusted after,
They fell before his mocking laughter,
Their blood in a grisly river flows,
Through darkness were the Nightheart goes.

He laughs with scorn at Death and Time,
Ignores their calls and siren chimes,
He always gains, his evil grows,
In the darkness where Nightheart goes.

He is called the Lord of Loss,
Quenching pain with layers of dross,
His love devoured by the crows,
Night will fall where Nightheart goes.

Layers of Layers of vile plots,
Causing all to go to rot,
In the night a fel wind blows,
For darkness comes where Nightheart goes.

He'll shroud the world in eternal night,
Where all who see him die of fright,
He grasps the sun and drags it low,
In darkness where Lord Nightheart goes.

Nightheart's Tale
Torell was once a man, an ordinary man born in the early years of the world, when did not exist, where the light of the moon shined down as a dim sun upon the world, and neither wolf nor rat nor were-beast lived. At the age of twenty, he married a beautiful elven maid. He lived the next few years of his life happy and content, untroubled by the manipulations of men, the savageness of orcs, nor the cruelties of the evil. However, this time eventually came to an end, as all good things must.
An evil being, a child of the night, a vampire, came to his house in the woods one night. Their kind and loving family welcomed him… much to Torell’s ever-lasting grief. By morning, Torell himself was a vampire, having slain and drained his beloved and child in his hunger, much to the amusement of his new master. For centuries he served and hated his lord and master, until finally, one night, he managed to perform an act freeing him from his master.
He drained a demon.
After decades of studying, he garnered enough magical power to summon an ancient demon of power, an Obyrith, an ancient demon predating the gods themselves. Subduing it, Torell drained it of its essence and being, infusing himself, making himself more than his “master” could ever comprehend. He easily slew and drained his master, taking a final revenge for what was done to him and his wife. For centuries he wandered the world and the planes, gradually gaining in magical power, becoming more and more dark and demonic as he continued to summon and drain evil entities.
Using powers drained of demons and evils and things best left unmentioned, he visited the Netherrealm in all its ghastly splendor to save his love. He ripped his way through the Realm of the Dead, hunting for his beloved. After years of searching and slaying and devouring, he found his true desire. He begged, implored, entreated her to come with him, to live forever in their love.
But she saw what he had become. The devouring of countless demons and dead had warped him, twisted him. His heart was black, his soul that of a demon. She refused. Overcome with rage, he used the powers he had obtained from the Obyrith and all others that he had fed on to rip the very fabric of reality itself, blocking the Realm of the Dead from all access: neither god nor mortal could reach through to touch the dead. He laughed, knowing that she, and all of the other dead, would never know what happened: a life godless and separated, alone in existence.
The Gods were enraged, furious beyond description. Even the most foul of gods preserved those of their followers who proved themselves worthy after death, and the actions of Torell had cut them a deep wound. Working together for the first and only time, they created a new home for the future dead, Divincros. Having secured the future of themselves and their followers, they turned as one to Torell. As Torell stood, captured and awaiting an eternity of punishments at the hands of the Torture Goddess, he was saved.
Eight great and terrible beings, immortal and evil, appeared before him, their very presence driving of the weaker demideities and servants. Torell watched in awe as they stood and held off a dozen deities, slaying all but one, the Rat God. His saviors grasped him in hands that burnt, and whisked him from the home of the gods. The Rat God, once a brave and valiant warrior, was punished by the others for his failure, forcing him and his to live the life of vermin, low and despised.
Torell, in a safe location far removed from the normal existence of reality, hidden from God and mortal alike, viewed his saviors, his captors, with awe. Beings of such great darkness and evil that they surpassed the gods themselves, they had told Torell of their purpose. An ancient sect, beings of incredible power and dark majesty, they were the last and only surviving of Those Who Came Before, a race that was before existence itself. Originally determined to destroy this existence that had usurped and destroyed their people, they had become wiser and greater over the eons. They awaited and brought the Apocalypse, Ragnarok, the Cataclysm… it goes by many names, but it is still one thing: The end of all creation. They would track and live through the destruction of everything, bring it about if need be, and fill that which comes after with their own race once again.
And they wanted Torell to join them.
Torell, absorbing the essence of demons, the dead, the undead, and mortal alike, had become something not belonging to this reality, something fundamentally wrong, as alien as Those Who Came Before. They gave Torell a choice: join them, being exposed to the very essence of Those Who Came Before, and aiding them… or being eradicated from reality, time, and memory. Torell chose to become something greater than even a god could aspire to. He joined them.
Torell was thrown into a vat, containing the purified particles of what came before existence, was fed the blood of Those Who Came Before, sealed for centuries away from all reality. Finally, he emerged, a being great and powerful and dark, who haunts the night and begets nightmares. Discarding his old name, he became Nightheart, The Lord of Loss. He came to the world and in so doing, integrated himself into the very essence of the world, giving birth to wolves and all the beasts that make the night so fearsome. He created nightmares, dreams so terrible it could drive men insane. The night became, dark and frightening, and the Least of Nine, the only one not of pure blood, set about final revenge.

Torell the Nightheart, Least of Nine and Lord of Loss
Medium Outsider (evil)
Hit Dice: 79d8 (672 hp)
Initiative: +35 (+4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 70 feet (14 squares), fly 110 feet (22 squares) perfect maneuverability
Armor Class: 97 (+31 Dex, +23 profane, +42 deflection, +1 dodge), Touch 97, Flat-Footed 65
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple:+79/+107
Attack: Night +107 (1d10+ 26+ 3d6, and +3d6 against good opponents)
Full Attack: Night +101/+ 101/+ 98/+ 93/+ 88 (1d8+ 26+ 3d6, and +3d6 against good opponents) +101/+ 101/+ 98/+ 93/+ 88 (1d8+ 17+ 3d6, and +3d6 against good opponents)
Space/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Drain Life, Spell-like Abilities, Share Loss, Fear of the Dark, Lord of Nightmares, Aura of Terror
Special Qualities: Outside Nature, Shroud of Night, Nightheart, Telepathy, Regeneration 15, DR 35/Holy and epic, SR 65, Sunwrack
Saves: Fort +41, Ref +72, Will +58
Abilities: Str 67, Dex 72, Con --, Int 47, Wis 44, Cha 95
Skills: Balance +128, Bluff +124, Climb +110, Concentration +124, Decipher Script +100, Diplomacy+130, Disguise +126, Escape Artist +113, Hide +126, Intimidate +126, Jump +112, Knowledge (Arcana)+ 102, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) +100, Knowledge (Geography) +100, Knowledge (History) +100, Knowledge (Local) +100, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) +100, Knowledge (The Planes) +100, Knowledge (Religion) +100, Listen +99, Move Silently +126, Search +100, Sense Motive +99, Spellcraft +102, Spot +99, Tumble + 128
Feats: Craft Arms and Armor, Maximize Spell, Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (double bladed sword), Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (two-bladed sword), Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Whirlwind, Quicken Spell, Improved Initiative, Improved Countercasting.
Epic Feats: Armor Skin, Craft Epic Arms and Armor, Overwhelming Critical, Devastating Critical, Epic Dodge, Improved Whirlwind Attack, Multispell, Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting., Improved Metamagic.
Organization: Alone
Challenge Rating: 81
Treasure: Standard, plus magic items (see below).
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: ---
You see the night itself darken, thicken into an impenetrable sphere. Slowly, it disperses, showing a tall, pitch black man, smirking with sharpened teeth. Ebony hair flows down his back, and his perfect obsidian flesh is imbedded with two eyes, sparkling as if all the starry universe were held within. Casually holding a dark sword, he laughs, as the darkness swirls around him and caresses him.

Nightheart is ancient, born in the early years of the world. He is infused with the drained essences of the dead, the living, the undead, and even an Obyrith, and has been transformed into something more reminiscent of The Time That Came Before: he is alien, possessed of an aura that the beasts and lower life forms instinctively recognize, and fear. He is a master of deception, setting layer upon layer of plots and intrigues. He is a driven, angry being, tormented by the loss and rejection of his wife and child, determined to punish the reality that inflicted so much suffering on him. He never shows any aspect of kindness or generosity, save to grant himself enjoyment.
Nightheart is brilliant. Over the span of millennia he has viewed the lives and dreams of geniuses and rulers, and knows almost every secret in the world. He is charming, polite, and beautiful, traits he uses to their fullest extent. His transformation and absorption of an Obyrith granted him with mastery over the night, his aspect of the Nine. He has learned every language that exists, even the tongue of Those Who Came Before.
Of all beings in the universe, none is more feared than Nightheart, for none of the other of Nine reveal themselves to the world, nor overtly effected it as much as he. He has a place in every nightmare, every terror. He possesses power over every creature of the night, and the fear of him is renewed with every howl of a wolf.
Unknown to any of the Nine, even Nightheart himself, cults have arisen, worshipping him. Slowly and surely, the power generated from their prayers has strengthened him, so slowly he did not even register that he was more powerful than before. The future of Nightheart is uncertain, but one thing is sure.
Nightheart will not remain the Least of Nine for long.

Combat
Nightheart Rarely chooses to enter combat. Simply by using his spell-like abilities and Fear of the Dark and Share Loss abilities, he can stop a fight before it happens, or utilize an opponent as a pawn in his countless intrigues. Should he be forced to enter combat, he uses improved invisibility and darkness to separate and surround his foes, judiciously using non-damaging spells to avoid becoming visible. He then shows himself, using Fear of the Dark to drive them insane, and then entering melee with Night, gleefully attacking and destroying his enemies.

Outside Nature: Nightheart simultaneously possesses the nature of undead, the living, demons, and beings coming before reality itself: he is completely alien and apart from nature, and as such possesses traits common to undead and outsiders. He possesses no constitution score, and has immunity to all mind-influencing effects, as well as poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects, and is not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, energy drain, ability damage to Str, Dex, and Con, and to exhaustion and fatigue. He is healed by negative energy, and harmed by positive energy. He cannot be turned, but takes damage equal to the clerics level x 1.5 positive energy damage if a turning attempt is used on him, and is paralyzed for 1 round by rebuke and command attempts unless he succeeds at an opposed caster check against the rebuker. He is otherwise unaffected by turning and rebuking. He possesses immunity to any effect requiring a Fortitude check, unless it affects objects or specifically affects outsiders. He is not at risk from death from massive damage, but is immediately destroyed upon reaching 0 hit points, and is unaffected by any spell raising or resurrecting him from the dead, and not even a wish or miracle spell could restore him. He does not sleep or breathe, though he does need to kill at least one being of any non-construct by draining them of blood and/or essence.

Shroud of Night (Sp): Nightheart possesses a covering of darkness that surrounds him in a 50 foot square. It cannot be seen through or dispelled, though is negated by Mordekenain’s Disjunction and antimagic for one hour, or until he leaves the antimagic field. Nightheart alone can see through it. He can deactivate this ability as a free action.

Drain Life (Su): Nightheart can drain one person within his Shroud of Night as a standard action once per round. The drained being must make a Fortitude save (DC 82 [1/2 Hit Dice + Charisma modifier]) or take 1d10 points of Constitution and Charisma drain. Alternatively, he can drain all in the area of the Shroud of Night of 2 points of both Con and Cha, gaining hit points from all of them separately.. Should he reduce a being, besides a construct, to 0 Con or Cha, they die, and he gains bonus hit points equal to their hit dice x 1.5.

Spell-like Abilities: Nightheart, though formerly a mage of great power, lost his spellcasting ability in the conversion to becoming on of the Nine. In exchange, however, he can draw pure energy from The Time That Came Before, and all the following spell-like abilities are effective in anti-magic zones, unlike normal magic. He is unable to cast spells with the light or good descriptors. His caster level is 60, and the DC of his spells is 52 + spell level, and 62 + spell level for Epic Spells. At will— All 0, 1st 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th level spells, 3/day each-- Dimensional Lock, Mind Blank, Maze, Greater Planar Binding, Trap the Soul, Discern Location, Greater Prying Eyes, Antipathy, Binding, Mass Charm Monster, Demand, Power Word Stun, Symbol of Insanity, Bigby’s Clenched Fist, Greater Shout, Telekinetic Sphere, Create Greater Undead, Horrid Wilting, Symbol of Death, Polymorph Any Object. 5/day—Temporal Stasis, Freedom, Imprisonment, Mordekenain’s Disjunction, Dominate Monster, Mass Hold Monster, Power Word Kill, Crushing Hand, Meteor Swarm, Astral Projection, Energy Drain, Soul Bind, Wail of the Banshee, Etherealness, Shapechange, Weird, Time Stop, Wish.
He can cast a total of 5 epic level spells per day, and knows Animus Blast, Animus Blizzard, Damnation, Demise Unseen, Dreamscape, Eclipse, Enslave, Epic Mage Armor, Greater Ruin, Hellball, Kinetic Control, Let Go Of Me, Lord of Nightmares, Mummy Dust, Pestilence, Crown of Vermin, Safe Time, and Soul Domination.

Nightheart (Su): Nightheart is closely tied to the night, and gains strength and power from its dark embrace. While not using Shroud of Night, and under an open sky at night, Nightheart gains a + 10 profane bonus to attacks, AC, and saves, as well as gaining a +20 bonus to speed.

Telepathy (Sp): Nightheart can communicate telepathically with any being that has a language within one mile.

Share Loss (Su: Nightheart can, as standard telepathically send all his pain, grief, and loss to a single individual. Millennia of grief and sorrow are communicated in an instance, all that makes the night so dark. The target must make a Will save DC (82 [1/2 Nightheart's Hit Dice + Charisma modifier]) or be paralyzed with grief for 1d10 rounds. This can only be used once every 1d4 rounds.

Fear of the Dark (Ex): Inherited from the Obyrith he drained, and enhanced by his own transformation, Nightheart can inflict nyctophobia upon any being who views him, as his body contains the pure, raw essence of night, which is something nothing less than a god could understand. The terrible aura that surrounds him forces anyone who views him to make a Will save (DC 82 [1/2 Hit Dice + Charisma modifier]) or become nyctophobic, possessing a fear of the dark, and if they succeed at the save, they are immune to Fear of the Dark for one day. Whenever the nyctophobic person enters dark areas, he must make a DC 88 Will save: if he succeeds, he is panicked; otherwise, he is insane, as the spell Insanity.

Lord of Nightmares (Sp): Nightheart created nightmares: as such, he has powers over them beyond what any mage could dream of. He can enter the dreams of any sleeping being within a mile. This takes a whole minute, and then he is fully integrated with the targets dreams. He can then manipulate them to his content, though never in a beneficial way. The target must make a Will save with a -10 penalty (due to the fact that they are asleep) at save DC 82 [1/2 Hit Dice + Charisma modifier], or suffer one of the following effects.
Night of Terrors: Nightheart can make a single person unable to sleep, ever again. They become immune to any effect making them sleep, and die within 1d2+1 weeks. However, they are allowed to make another Will save at the end of this time, a success resulting in them falling asleep for 6 days, and living.
Reality of Nightmares: The target is driven insane, as with the Insanity spell.
Mental Anguish: The target takes 2d10 points of damage to Int, Cha, or Wis and take 5d8 points of damage.
Demoralizing Dreams: The target takes a -5 penalty to all saves, skill checks, attacks, and AC.

Sunwrack (Ex): Should Nightheart ever be exposed to the light of the sun, he is instantly reduced to 1 hp. Should he be at less than or at 1 hp, he is destroyed. Nightheart then has until the end of the round to get out of the sun, or he is irrevocably destroyed.

Aura of Terror (Ex): Nowhere in the universe is there a more feared being than Nightheart. Anyone within 100 feet of Nightheart is stricken with absolute terror. If they
fail the Will save (DC 82 [1/2 Hit Dice + Charisma modifier]) they are panicked, and also take 2 points of Wisdom drain and 1d10 points of Wisdom damage. If they succeed, they are simply shaken. If they fail by 50 or more, they die of fright. A success renders them immune to the aura for 1 hour.

Night: Night is a powerful magical artifact attuned to Nightheart. It is a double-bladed black sword, with the only noteworthy feature besides its blackness is its plainness. It is strait, unadorned, and lacks even a cross-guard. Should he die, it becomes attuned to the next person to touch it. Should anyone other than the attuned person attempt to wield it, he takes 4 permanent negative levels and 10d10+42 damage. It is a +8 Icy Blast Unholy Power Keen double-bladed sword on both ends, which gains an additional +2 bonus in dark areas. Also, as a swift action, the wielder can teleport up to 20 feet, and any opponent hit by it is effected by a Deeper Darkness spell. The wielder also acts as if under the effect of the haste spell, which is in Nightheart’s description.

Plot Hooks
--The Night of Silence, a cult of Nightheart, has started obtaining odd new worshippers and power, gaining power through their worship of Nightheart. Entire cities have been converted. How did this happen? What does this portend for the world?
--The gods have decided to finish what they started. Setting out to slay Nightheart, they discover that the power of Nightheart and the Nine is two powerful for them… and now that the immediate crisis no longer exists, they no longer have any reason to work together.
--A pitch black, beautiful man has become the queen’s advisor, and the queen has lately begun to seem more… unstable. Nightheart gain’s more and more control over the nation, but for what goal?
-The end is coming, but not fast enough. The Nine have created a powerful artifact: once fed the blood of Gods and Kings and Pawns it will start the year long process of devouring existence. The heroes must find someway to stop it, either by preventing the blood sacrifice or by somehow stopping the artifact.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-24, 11:14 AM
This month's contest has come to a close. A voting thread has been posted here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2929101#post2929101).

Good luck!