PDA

View Full Version : Big Scary Templates

El'the Ellie
2016-06-29, 02:35 PM
Hey all! Pretty simple question, but what are some of your favorite 3.5 templates?

I honestly haven't used them much as a GM, but they look like a great way to build fearsome/more powerful monsters. What are some crowd-pleasers, staples, or just plain favorites?

Many thanks in advance! (By the way, despite the title name, don't feel like they need to be size-increasing or fear based.)

Gildedragon
2016-06-29, 02:37 PM
Pseudonatural + Effigy creature: clockwork horrors from beyond nightmares

Troacctid
2016-06-29, 02:43 PM
Lost (MoI). Very flavorful and creepy.

I also like half-fiend and half-celestial.

Flickerdart
2016-06-29, 02:45 PM
I can't get enough of Half-Fey (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a). It's cheap enough to use on almost any monster (as well as some player characters) and gives a whole lot of goodies:

A new movement mode in the form of flight, which can be challenging to deal with for unprepared parties
A variety of spell-like abilities to spice up your creature beyond full-attacking every turn
A chunky Charisma bonus that can turn any run-of-the-mill mook into an influencer and leader (especially when combined with the SLAs above)
Immunity to enchantments, to prevent your PCs from just charming it and moving on

Half-Celestial and Half-Fiend do much the same thing, but they are costlier. On the plus side, the SLAs they get are more readily applicable to combat.

LordOfCain
2016-06-29, 02:46 PM
I like half-minotaur...

RelentlessImp
2016-06-29, 02:47 PM
Primordial Giant (Secrets of Xen'drik) is a really fun template to throw onto a Half-Giant character.

Saint (BoED), Draconic (Draconomicon), and Phrenic Creature (XPH) are all fun things to slam onto basically any character, so long as you can buy the LAs off.

I'm also a big fan of Half-Celestial, Half-Fiend, Half-Dragon, Half-Fey, and Half-Elemental, but the level adjustment on all of those is entirely too punishing for what you get.

EDIT: As for GM-specific; Worm That Walks (ELH/DDJB) is a great template to creep people out with.

ComaVision
2016-06-29, 02:50 PM
Maybe a bit boring but I like the Half-Dragon template because you can slap it on almost anything. Nobody care about a bear but a flying bear that breathes acid is pretty sweet.

Gildedragon
2016-06-29, 02:50 PM
Mulhorandi Divine Minion is great too for WTF moments, getting a villain back to full HP and giving them an escape... And for infiltration PCs

MisterKaws
2016-06-29, 02:59 PM
Deity is a template too... sort of.

OldTrees1
2016-06-29, 03:22 PM
Undead:
Lich, Gravetouched Ghoul (Ghoul Template), Ghost Template Class (scalable Spectral template), Necropolitian (undead type template), & Spellstiched (for magical undead)

Draconic:
Dragonborn, Draconic Creature + Winged(when Dragonborn is not applicable), or Half Dragon (when Dragonborn is not applicable)

Urpriest
2016-06-29, 03:30 PM
Lycanthrope is excellent in its versatility. There are other staple-a-creature-to-another templates (Tauric, for example), but Lycanthrope is cleaner, more elegant, and has built-in flavor.

Flickerdart
2016-06-29, 03:32 PM
Lycanthrope is excellent in its versatility. There are other staple-a-creature-to-another templates (Tauric, for example), but Lycanthrope is cleaner, more elegant, and has built-in flavor.

I like Entomanothrope better, because it's more novel and avoids all the icky alignment issues (as well as all the Team Jacob jokes). But conceptually, there's not that much difference.

And of course, both can use used to make an unplayable creature playable, often at a reasonable ECL.

Thurbane
2016-06-29, 11:00 PM
I'm a big fan of Unholy Scion, Half-fiend, Tainted Raver and Spellwarped.

Mr Adventurer
2016-06-30, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I like Spellwarped. Also: Living Spell :D

AslanCross
2016-06-30, 06:36 AM
1. Half-Farspawn
2. Pseudonatural
3. Half-Dragon

chainer1216
2016-06-30, 07:11 AM
Spell-stitched is alot of fun.

Saint is downright cheap for what it grants.

unseenmage
2016-06-30, 01:00 PM
Ever want to stitch two monsters together and see if the result is fearsome or flotsam?

Then the 3rd party Amalgam and Monstrous Lycanthrope templates from Advanced Bestiary are for you!