PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Best D&D 3.5 character builder Program?

Meierme176
2016-06-29, 03:12 PM
So I have been looking into the best ways to save my characters. I need a program that will support D&D 3.5, provide a printable, and is easy to use. I have looked into but have not tried PCGen and hero lab. PCGen I'm told only has the core books and is difficult to upgrade where as Hero Lab is mostly for pathfinder and expensive to upgrade. Can I get some help in finding an ideal program for my uses? I am willing to pay for a software if it seems worth it.

note: I have also used and love charactersheets.minotaur.cc. however the sheets are not fillable and you cant save your character.

ComaVision
2016-06-29, 03:14 PM
Heroforge Anew

Aetis
2016-06-29, 03:16 PM
I use mythweavers.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/

Zakier
2016-06-29, 03:56 PM
Hero lab cost money.

OK that's out of the way but it and pcgen are going to be your best options.

Hero Lab-
This program allows you do receive a free license game pack with its purchase. Of using it for dungeons and dragons grab the d20 license. Once you have e it inside the update screen find the community project pack for d20. You'll have about 90% of the stuff in DnD available to you. The rest is still being worked on regularly and if there is an update the system will notify you.
You can also add custom items, feats, abilities and more fairly easily once you get past the learning curve.

PC gen-
Almost exactly the same, upgrade with the Bahamut data set to get greater functionality. It's free but adding almost anything to it requires an admit programming data set knowledge.

Main difference is(other than cost) if you decide to be a GM and start looking for electronic campaign organization the absolute best is RealmWorks by the same makers of hero lab and the charavter files from hero lab can be ported into realm works. Pcgen files can't.

MisterKaws
2016-06-29, 09:03 PM
Heroforge Anew

You forgot to put a link.

Here (https://sites.google.com/site/heroforgeanew/), Heliomance's Heroforge Anew. It's a bit wonky until you get the hang of it, but it's pretty easy to use after you learn how to mess around, and it's probably the character builder with the most amount of supported content.

Monteparnas
2016-09-10, 12:40 AM
I found Hero Lab worth the money, if you have it to pay.

Easy to use, versatile (including other games), with several options to present information. I'm testing now the community's updates, so I can only talk with propriety about the SRD content.

Since the presentation of data includes the option for descriptions of feats and stuff, it also works well to deal with things you don't want to re-read the books all the time, but would have to. The warnings help to go without forgeting details, and there is a in-built "cheat" system to account for most details that should work other way, like house-rules or improvised content.

HeroForge I tested once, but isn't my taste. It is pretty good if you like to mess with the sheet and the books all by yourself. I do prefer to work on actual paper when I want to do this, but it is a matter of personal taste. Overall, it is a fairly good option, too.

PC Gen I have no personal experience whatsoever, but barely read anything good about it. Well, its free, and have a lot of options to work. You could at least give it a try.