PDA

View Full Version : High Level Campaigns In 5e

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2016-06-29, 08:12 PM
I picked up the 5e books the day they came out (at least as they sequentially came out) and had games going day 1 (ish). With two groups on different days through the week, and tons of games I have decided that I love high level games. I enjoy DMing them, and especially playing in them.

However, I do realize that this is an opinion in the minority. The thing is I want to know is what fundamental reason do people like about lower levels. Is it the simplicity, balance, room for progression, or realism.

I also don't only like hitting players with dragons or slinging 9th level spells around as a player. I enjoy statting my higher level characters. Filling out legendary backstories for your character. It also allows me, personally, to make more interesting character we can get attached to, but still treat them as separate entities. Now, I don't want every game I play to be high level, but why is it so unheard of?

Theodoxus
2016-06-29, 08:31 PM
Jumping into high level play is pretty rare - people enjoy the buildup, the logical progression from level 1 to 20 (though more realistically 1 to 10).

I prefer running higher level games, though I do sometimes wish hit points didn't scale so high. I like there to be some sense of danger, without having to spend 4 or 5 rounds 'whittling' the PCs hit points down first. Especially with 5E's ease of regaining HPs, there really doesn't need to be as many of them. But I digress.

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2016-06-29, 08:38 PM
Jumping into high level play is pretty rare - people enjoy the buildup, the logical progression from level 1 to 20 (though more realistically 1 to 10).

I prefer running higher level games, though I do sometimes wish hit points didn't scale so high. I like there to be some sense of danger, without having to spend 4 or 5 rounds 'whittling' the PCs hit points down first. Especially with 5E's ease of regaining HPs, there really doesn't need to be as many of them. But I digress.

I love the build up as well, but being able to theorize what a powerful character can do in the world your DM is immensely fun for backstories. I have also found its easy for a group of PCs to decide why they are traveling together, and why they are doing what they do. As for the Hp, if you take average past 1st level I have never found it broken.

Pex
2016-06-29, 08:53 PM
Certainly if everyone is on board starting at high level go for it, but there is a compromise. You never have to start at level 1. Level 3 is good because that's when every class gets their archetype. If that's too low level 5 is another good spot. Spellcasters get 3rd level spells where the great power begins and their attack cantrips roll two dice. Warriors are getting Extra Attack to attack twice to feel bad-a$$. Classes get juicy features at 6th level for another good starting point.

This gives you a significant powerful feel to start and still have the fun of leveling up looking forward to what you will be getting.

MrFahrenheit
2016-06-29, 09:31 PM
Biggest power jumps are 5, 11, and 17; the ASI levels are a good backup to those. My next campaign will probably start at 8 and then scale quickly.

Have you found higher level play goes by faster than expected? With the amount of xp required to make a challenge even reasonably difficult at this point, I'm finding my players still go from one level to the next in nearly the same number of sessions as they did early on.

Pex
2016-06-29, 11:32 PM
Biggest power jumps are 5, 11, and 17; the ASI levels are a good backup to those. My next campaign will probably start at 8 and then scale quickly.

Have you found higher level play goes by faster than expected? With the amount of xp required to make a challenge even reasonably difficult at this point, I'm finding my players still go from one level to the next in nearly the same number of sessions as they did early on.

A matter of one's personal taste, naturally, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. There is also point to want to be able to appreciate a level and just bask and get used to your current abilities before having to deal with new ones and increased power two or three sessions later. If leveling by XP is happening too fast try the milestone variant. Let achievement of particular campaign plot goals set the leveling pace and ignore the XP. Slows the party down so everyone can take a breather.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-29, 11:51 PM
I picked up the 5e books the day they came out (at least as they sequentially came out) and had games going day 1 (ish). With two groups on different days through the week, and tons of games I have decided that I love high level games. I enjoy DMing them, and especially playing in them.

However, I do realize that this is an opinion in the minority. The thing is I want to know is what fundamental reason do people like about lower levels. Is it the simplicity, balance, room for progression, or realism.

I also don't only like hitting players with dragons or slinging 9th level spells around as a player. I enjoy statting my higher level characters. Filling out legendary backstories for your character. It also allows me, personally, to make more interesting character we can get attached to, but still treat them as separate entities. Now, I don't want every game I play to be high level, but why is it so unheard of?

Do you love the abilities or the plot lines?

I play high level a lot, and suggest everyone play high levels at least once per every three months, and it is a lot of fun.

But my groups also have learned that you don't need those high levels.

We run Liches versus level 2 characters, ancient dragons versus level 5 characters, and so forth.

You don't really need big numbers or whatever to have big plot lines.

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2016-06-29, 11:55 PM
In most of my games we level either on story acheivement or DM whimsy and is still very satisfying when we level up. Also as long as you don't start immediately at level 17 you have still have things to look forward to.