PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Trying to build the tankiest character in 5e

Klorox
2016-06-29, 11:44 PM
I'm thinking the build that can last longest in battle while taking hits so the squishies don't die. I'd like to do some damage as well, but that's secondary.

A character that is resistant to mind control/charm spells would be optimal.

I'm thinking a berserker barbarian or a paladin with heavy armor mastery might be best. But I'm posting here for more ideas.

Share your ideas from level 1 on up!

Thanks!

Corinath
2016-06-30, 01:15 AM
Check out the Dexterity Based Barbarian build in the Class Guides thread, found in the Notable Threads thread pinned at the top of the forum.

When raging it has resistance against everything except psychic damage, has stupid high AC, does decent damage (not amazing), and just can take a beating.

I threw a dexterity Barbarian at my five person party while they were at level three. It was the longest goddamn combat I've ever seen them in, although the trade off was that she had done little in the way of actual damage. Pair with defensive duelist and your AC can hover at near 19-20 with decent ability score rolls while at low levels, all while resisting nearly everything and with a large health pool. Pair with Sentinel to control the crowd when you're the first one in.

There ya go. I'm sure there are others, but that one was fun to me.

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2016-06-30, 01:46 AM
Why not be the squishy AND tank all the damage ( *9th level spells mandatory*)

A level 20 barbie girl with 24 con. (Primal Champion), Tough feat, Aspect of the beast: Bear, and recommended health= 325 Health or 650 due to resistance to damage (except psychic) That is a pretty tough mug that could also trip you or FLY *shivers*.

BUT(ts)

A level 20 wizard with 10 con.(just to rub it in), true polymorphed into white dragon (permenantly), a simulacrum with wish (for shapechange) ready, wish (for shapechange) on the wizard as well, and recommended game health = 1081 Hp across 3 white dragons and normal health. I also did minimal research and cut cornera for this so it is most likely higher, but still beats barbie girl....... At least until it gets dispelled ;)

Anyway that is my max level suggestion

Sir cryosin
2016-06-30, 07:10 AM
Why not a s&b eldritch knight fighter. With a lv1 dip in tempest cleric. Why cleric you get thunderous rebuke and shield of fate.

bid
2016-06-30, 07:16 AM
I'm thinking the build that can last longest in battle while taking hits so the squishies don't die. I'd like to do some damage as well, but that's secondary.
Be careful. If you do no damage and are too hard a nut to crack, intelligent monsters will ignore you.

You need some way to force them to concentrate on you.

MrFahrenheit
2016-06-30, 07:59 AM
Hill dwarf totem barb with aspect of the bear, toughness, con and dex maxed (and therefore unarmored).

Klorox
2016-06-30, 08:05 AM
Be careful. If you do no damage and are too hard a nut to crack, intelligent monsters will ignore you.

You need some way to force them to concentrate on you.

Oh, good point!

Is there anything to force enemies to attack me? I can think of Compelled Duel.

MrFahrenheit
2016-06-30, 08:16 AM
Hill dwarf aspect of bear totem barbarian 10-12/paladin 2/lore bard 6-8 with tough feat.

Assuming 27 point buy:
CL 1 stats: 14/14/16 (14+2)/8/10 (9+1)/13
CL 20 stats: 20/14/16/8/10/13 & toughness feat

Now you're attracting bad guys with your damage - you can't cast spells while raging, but you CAN convert spell slots into smites!

And all that for like 1 less AC than the unarmored build if you use half plate and take the defense fighting style. You can even out the AC if you take medium armor master instead of toughness.

the secret fire
2016-06-30, 11:27 AM
Oh, good point!

Swashbuckler (Rogue): Panache (1 action / 1 minute duration / at-will) - 9th level
Battle Master (Fighter): Goading Attack maneuver (free action / 1 turn duration / 4-5 times/day) - 3rd level
Any Class: Booming Blade (cantrip) - 1st level
Any Class: Sentinel - 1st level

Sentinel doesn't strictly force enemies to attack you, but it makes it hard for them to get away once you get in melee range.

Booming Blade is probably best used as battlefield control on an Eldritch Knight of at least 7th level. It doesn't prevent opponents from moving out of combat with the EK, but it does cost them meaningful damage when they do. An EK with Sentinel, Polearm Master and Booming Blade is extremely sticky in melee combat, and a quite effective tank, though he will also need War Caster in order to spam Shield spells in melee. It's a very Feat-intensive build (so not fully viable until the mid-levels), but it can work.

Oramac
2016-06-30, 12:22 PM
Is homebrew ok? If so, take a look at the Death Knight in my sig. The Oath of the Undying was specifically built to be very tanky. More specifically, Leeching Strike and Undying Presence.

If not homebrew, I'd go with an Oath of the Ancients Paladin. Plus Cha to all saves, resistance to all magic, heavy armor and shields, Undying Sentinel, all the Paladin Spells, and high hit points.

bid
2016-06-30, 12:22 PM
Oh, good point!

What the secret fire said.

Or do more damage, be in the way, attack something they have to defend.

Sentinel is a good example of soft compulsion. You won't do more damage if they stay on you.