PDA

View Full Version : Easy Question (I hope)

RedScholarGypsy
2007-07-01, 09:31 AM
Just to settle an arguement, because we're reading the SRD differently, If a Druid metamagic's a lvl 3 spell to lvl 4 slot, for purposes of spontaneous casting summon nature's ally does it count a lvl3 or lvl4 spell?

Thanatos 51-50
2007-07-01, 09:36 AM
As it was put in a lvl 4 spot when metamagicked, I would assume that dropping it would allow the casting of Summon Nature's Ally IV, after all, it hogging a 4th-lvl slot, anyway.

Rad
2007-07-01, 09:40 AM
technically, the druid entry says that the summon nature ally is of the same level as the spell being discarded, not as the spell slot. So, unless you were using Heighten Spell, the spell level for all purposes is the original, lower, one.
You can put that in the counterintuitive stuff about the RAW; there is a lot of them.

I did not check if the FAQ or other sources might address this problem in a more sensible way, so do not take this for granted. Also, I think you should have used the thread about Q&A by the RAW. It works pretty well and helps keeping the forum tidy.

Brother_Franklin
2007-07-01, 10:00 AM
It depends, are you/he/she getting too much out of metamagic that it needs to be discouraged?

It's really as simple as that. You could look it up in all the books you want, but my guess is the holy game designers wern't thinking about metamagic when they wrote that rule. So you should use the judgement that best suits the game. If you can't decide flip a coin.

SithLackey
2007-07-01, 10:01 AM
I have to agree with Rad. While it makes sense that if it uses a higher level slot it could be turned in for a higher level spell, most metamagic feats only specify that it uses a higher level slot, and is not actually a higher level. The exception is heighten spell, which is used for the sole purpose of raising a spell's effective level.