PDA

View Full Version : Scooby and the Gang Special Talents

Ranxerox
2016-06-30, 10:39 AM
Hi, I was hoping to get some help from the community here. I'm planning on GMing a game I'm calling "Welcome to Nigh Vale, Scooby Doo" at a local RPG convention. It's to be pretty much what it sounds like. The Mystery Machine breaks down on Highway 800 and Scooby and the Gang have to go into Night Vale and get it fixed and get out of town before they get counted in the Census which is happening that day. If they get counted in the Night Vale Census then they can never leave.

Currently, I'm doing research and working on putting together the pregenerated characters for the game. Which brings me to my question, what special talents, skills and abilities do Scooby Doo and the gang have? I enjoyed Scooby Doo as a kid and have general recollections of the characters, but it's been a while. So help from people who have watched them more recently or simply possess better memories than me would be much appreciated.

Hopeless
2016-06-30, 10:55 AM
Fred loves planning and traps,
Daphne is curious,
Velma wears glasses and is the smartest of the group,
Shaggy and Scooby come across as cowardly and greedy (food wise mind you!) and can be tempted into actions even whilst afraid with a "Scooby Snack" but both have been known to act against type (especially when their friends and loved ones are in danger).

Are you basing your game on the movie versions or the animated series?:smallwink:

If the animated series which one?:smallsmile:

Maryring
2016-06-30, 12:33 PM
Fred can make a great trap out of a shoebox and dryer lint. He's an excellent trap-master, in addition to being in decent physical shape.

Daphne has good intutition and a good read on people. She's empathic and works well as a party face. She also knows martial arts.

Velma is a genius. She's really good at picking up on clues and can figure out the mystery long before anyone else.

Scooby and Shaggy... are loads. Shaggy is a good cook I suppose, but they rarely do much but run away and get lucky.

Mando Knight
2016-06-30, 12:39 PM
and get lucky.

"Luck" is their thing, really. They make great bait for Fred's traps, and they also frequently run into the clues Velma picks up on, usually all while goofing off.

Nerd-o-rama
2016-06-30, 01:02 PM
Mystery Inc. also gives Daphne the trait of being kind of a trivia master - if there's an obscure bit of pop culture or random amateur skill the group needs for the episode, she's usually heard of it or read about it on the internet or something, although if it's something more academic, it's still Velma's department. Combined with her social skills she's practically a D&D bard.

In a chart-like form, I'd say their strengths are:

Fred: Planning, traps, coordinating groups
Velma: hard academic skills, intuition, analyzing information and coming to a logical conclusion
Daphne: social skills, empathy, general all-around knowledge, getting in trouble
Shaggy and Scooby: luck and survivability, determination (when it comes to getting Scooby Snacks), finding clues (by accident), bait

Calemyr
2016-06-30, 02:03 PM
Scooby and Shaggy get kind of cheated for the most part. Their cowardice and gluttony are played for laughs, a lot, but what nobody ever acknowledges is their sheer, inhuman talent for improvisation. Fred might be able to trap a monster with a shoe box and drier lint, but Shaggy? He creates costumes from whole cloth, instantly devises roles (with solid unspoken collaboration from Scooby) and scenarios to throw opponents of balance, has an uncanny degree of common sense not on display in his companions, is in exceptional shape (endurance, running, and gymnastics rather than raw strength and toughness), and has the oft lauded luck that is instrumental in virtually every case. He accidentally finds a clue, he accidentally runs into the monster, he accidentally befriends the celebrity cameo of the day, he accidentally, he accidentally, he accidentally... Mystery Inc would hardly solve a case if they didn't include a hefty allotment for Scooby Snacks in the budget.

Screw it. You know what Shaggy is? Rincewind (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rincewind) on drugs. There, I said it. An ultimate survivor, super-human runner, brilliant improviser, with divine luck that is every bit as much a curse as it is a blessing. All that tied together with a battle-hardened philosophy that blatantly says: "Adventure isn't worth it. If it can go wrong it will happen to me. You will never see me volunteer for trouble, but I know I can't escape it. There are times to be brave, but not nearly so many as people seem to think." Just with the added rider: "If you're screwed if you do and screwed if you don't, there's no reason not to be screwed while high." Sorry, some headcanon is hard to overwrite.

Calemyr
2016-06-30, 03:32 PM
Were I running the game, I'd just give characters the following features. Two blessings and one curse each.

Fred:
Blessing: Leadership - Add Fred's charisma bonus to any skill checks, saves, and attack rolls made by the party as part of a plan devised by Fred.
Blessing: Bravery - Add +1 to will saves vs fear effects. Add an additional +1 every fourth level (4, 8, etc)
Curse: Epic Density - Fred can not apply positive intelligence and wisdom bonuses to skill checks. DM may make exceptions.

Daphne:
Blessing: Trivialist - Add Daphne's character level to Knowledge checks related to Local, Nobility, and Religion
Blessing: Stunning Brawler - Add Daphne's Charisma bonus to attack rolls when using unarmed attacks, and gain Improved Unarmed Attack if she doesn't already get it as a class feature.
Curse: Eternal Victim - Take a -1 penalty to escape artist checks and rolls to escape grapples. Penalty increases by -1 every fourth level.

Velma:
Blessing: Genius - Add Velma's character level to intelligence checks not related to Local, Nobility, and Religion
Blessing: Perceptive - Add +1 to Perception checks while glasses are equipped. Add an additional +1 every fourth level.
Curse: Blind Without 'Em - Any noteworthy impact (be it an incoming attack, tripping, or bumping into someone) requires a DC 20 Reflex save. If failed, Velma loses her glasses and has an effective sight range of 5'. Others can return her glasses as a standard action. Without outside assistance, Velma can spend a full round action to attempt a DC 25 perception check to retrieve her glasses herself (blindness is already worked into the check DC). Equipping her glasses is a free action.

Shaggy:
Blessing: Niht Repap - Can use disguise skill as a swift action with no penalties for insufficient materials, haste, age, gender, or race. Disguise is always a class skill.
Blessing: Scooby Snacks - Once per day, and once more per four levels, Shaggy can consume a Scooby Snack to negate the luck penalty tied to his curse for one minute. This blessing must be invoked by another player, including Scooby, as a move action.
Curse: Favored of the Lady - Shaggy takes a -5 luck penalty to all skill checks, saving throws, and attack rolls. He also adds 1d10 to all skill checks, saving throws, and attack rolls. Shaggy counts as four people when determining the target of random events (both good and ill) and unfocused enemy aggression. (I.e, if he's standing in a room with one other person, there is a 4/5, or 80%, chance that the monster will target him, unless doing so is detrimental to their agenda or someone else has actively drawn its attention. Even when the full group is together, he's got a 50/50 chance of being targeted.)

Scooby:
Blessing: Bloodhound - Add character level to survival checks to track by scent. Survival is a class skill.
Blessing: Scooby Snacks - Once per day, and once more per four levels, Scooby can consume a Scooby Snack for a +2 bonus to skill checks, saves, and attack rolls for one minute. As with Shaggy, this blessing must be invoked by another player, including Shaggy, as a move action.
Curse: Copycat - Unless absolutely forced to act independently, Scooby must do his level best to follow Shaggy's lead. When working in concert with Shaggy, he gains the benefit of Shaggy's Niht Repap blessing and does not require any form of communication to act in sync with Shaggy's attempts.

Fair and balanced? Probably not, but I care more about my players having fun that perfect balance. Also, God bless Captain SNES for the Niht Repap thing.

Dienekes
2016-06-30, 03:37 PM
For Shaggy you got to remember that's the character that most often picks everyone up and runs full out away from danger. The man is as strong as an ox and agile as a leopard.

Unfortunately his cowardly flaw makes him unable to use his physical prowess to attack any potential enemies.

Bhu
2016-06-30, 04:58 PM
Velma is also hella strong. Remember she can run full speed while carrying the equivalent of two people.

Ranxerox
2016-06-30, 05:26 PM
Fred loves planning and traps,

Are you basing your game on the movie versions or the animated series?:smallwink:

If the animated series which one?:smallsmile:

Since I have no way of knowing in advance whether my players will be more familiar with the movies or the cartoons, I was shooting for a version of Scooby and the Gang that is as inclusive as possible. So anything that the players may have seen the characters do in either movies or cartoons is fair game. The only limitation that I'm putting on it is no Scrappy Doo. I've always hated that little guy.

Ranxerox
2016-06-30, 05:29 PM
For Shaggy you got to remember that's the character that most often picks everyone up and runs full out away from danger. The man is as strong as an ox and agile as a leopard.

Unfortunately his cowardly flaw makes him unable to use his physical prowess to attack any potential enemies.

Does any member of the Gang, besides Daphne, ever attack potential enemies?

Ranxerox
2016-06-30, 05:36 PM
Were I running the game, I'd just give characters the following features. Two blessings and one curse each.

<Snip>

Fair and balanced? Probably not, but I care more about my players having fun that perfect balance. Also, God bless Captain SNES for the Niht Repap thing.

Cool stuff.

Unfortunately the game system that I was planning on using doesn't allow me to directly lift these, but I am sure that I will be able to take at least some of them in spirit. Thanks.

Dienekes
2016-06-30, 06:21 PM

Well no. But Shaggy is the one who would be specced to if any of them did.

I would also point out that he has an absolutely fantastic perception score when determining if the gang is in danger and where the food is being stored.

Maryring
2016-06-30, 08:01 PM
Velma is also hella strong. Remember she can run full speed while carrying the equivalent of two people.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Daphne and Fred have also carried the whole gang once or twice. It's true that it's usually Velma or Shaggy that has to carry the rest though.

Bhu
2016-06-30, 08:20 PM
Since I have no way of knowing in advance whether my players will be more familiar with the movies or the cartoons, I was shooting for a version of Scooby and the Gang that is as inclusive as possible. So anything that the players may have seen the characters do in either movies or cartoons is fair game. The only limitation that I'm putting on it is no Scrappy Doo. I've always hated that little guy.

You'll wanna go here then

http://scoobydoo.wikia.com/wiki/Scoobypedia

OracleofWuffing
2016-06-30, 08:38 PM
I'd say Shaggy gets move/initiative/speed/run/whathaveyou bonuses. I mean, every Hanna-Barbera character is pretty good at running around in circles, but within the cast of human characters? He's the one that has "swooce yourself away from anything" at the highest priority.

Depending on whatever power level you're setting upon, Scooby gets permanent talk with animals. Er. Talk with creatures, as the case may be. Er... Ralk rith reatures. Guess he could just be played as an animal companion type thing for Shaggy, too.

I know a Pup Named Scooby Doo played off Daphne coming from a wealthy family and basically has the power of money and butlers, but I'm guessing that's a bit over-the-top for where you're aiming.

Keltest
2016-06-30, 08:46 PM

Depends on how you define "attack". A lot of the crimes they solve involve criminals who at least seem to be legitimately physically dangerous, which is why they use traps to catch the bad guys instead of just walking up to them and spraying them with some mace. But sure, Shaggy especially is prone to using tools to evade the bad guys when theyre chasing them, with varying degrees of success.

Also, Fred being a dolt is due to flanderization. In the earlier cartoons and movies, he wasn't a genius like Velma, but he was at least reasonably intelligent and observant compared to the rest of the gang.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-06-30, 09:21 PM

Depends. How do you label "Running into the villain du jour at full sprint"?

Traab
2016-06-30, 10:37 PM
Shaggy and Scooby are masters of disguise, have a high bluff (but low wisdom or int, one of the two, they keep ruining their bluffs/disguises) and have an epic amount of move speed when threatened. That makes them excellent scouts, when bribed with a scooby treat, and are great at escaping ambushes and able to lead the enemy into traps without much worry of being caught. They are so good at bluffing they can disguise themselves as standing lamps, TELL THE ENEMY they are nothing but lamps, and be believed. Usually right up until shaggy lifts the shade off too soon and gets spotted.

If I had them in my rpg group, I would use them as scouts and bait on a regular basis. I would setup ambush points and tell them to go see whats up ahead, and if they get spotted, lead the bad guys back to here. Just bring extra rations to bribe/convince them to do it.

Ranxerox
2016-06-30, 11:12 PM
If I had them in my rpg group, I would use them as scouts and bait on a regular basis. I would setup ambush points and tell them to go see whats up ahead, and if they get spotted, lead the bad guys back to here. Just bring extra rations to bribe/convince them to do it.

Which is exactly how they function in the cartoons. Who knew that Fred had such a grasp on tactics?:smallcool:

Drascin
2016-07-01, 06:27 AM
Shaggy has also demonstrated an amazing level of physical fitness. That time he got his cowardice removed he was basically Batman. Even at his normal coward self, he routinely escapes through solid brick walls (leaving the inevitable cartoon outline) because it's the fastest escape route, and has been seen outrunning bad guys on vehicles with nothing more than his own legs and sheer fear. So yeah, I'm thinking high physical stats and a bonus to movement and/or running away seems very appropriate here.

Scooby also runs very fast, but he also frequently has a dose of luck and common sense that Shaggy lacks. He's the one that, while the rest of the party is fighting with the ligh projector and wondering why it doesn't turn on, is to the side holding the two cut pieces of the plug cable and doing a confused aside glance at the camera (with his trademark "...aroo?" sound) while the stock laughter sounds.

Velma obviously gets the investigation bonuses. She's the only actual detective in this "investigative" group, and the person who actually puts clues together,peers through the mystery, and cuts through the bull****. She is also the person in the party most immune to being scared off by seeming supernatural occurences, because of her staunch disbelief in such things. Even Fred was sometimes put off by things, but Velma's reaction to a ghost threatening to murder her is "you stop that this instant".

Fred gets charisma and people skills, and can build traps. In fact, he is often obsessed with building traps even in places where other options would be easier and more efficient.

Daphne is the curious one. She finds things, pokes around things, and so on. Without a doubt the highest perception skill in the party. She's also good at figuring people out.

lt_murgen
2016-07-01, 08:58 AM
When Shaggy and Scooby combine, they can build barricades faster than humanly possible.

Fri
2016-07-01, 10:39 AM
Just an amusing sidenote, I once played a ranger with riding dog animal companion in a high-lethality 3.5 campaign. Since it's high lethality, obviously I play someone cowardly. And so obviously, I based the ranger on Shaggy and Scooby.

Scooby died in first encounter :smallfrown: (He got incapacitated in a puddle of acid left by an enemy, and can't get out of there because it's incapacitated and Shaggy was busy fighting other enemy. Shaggy survived though.)