PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Include a PC "mount" in self spells

quintony
2016-06-30, 03:43 PM
Me and another character in our campaign have found some cool synergy. The chaos gnome sorcerer rides on the shoulders of the Half elf Ranger (my character). We had a special saddle crafted into my backpack allowing him to ride up there and allow me to do reflex saves for him. Now there are some things we've been trying to fix, but we're not sure how to do so.

The main thing is that if he casts mirror image or invisibility, or spells like that he might be copied or made invisible, but the ranger is still there. Especially with mirror images this makes for a funny visual. Several gnomes floating around my head. So far the only thing we've come up with is to have an items that stores a copy of some of these spells that trigger when he casts it. This however gets very expensive fast and minimizes the flexibility.

Is there something that we are not thinking of that would allow him to include his "mount" in certain self spells? As long as we're not obviously trying to break the game our DM is open for discussing most things.

UPDATE: we are playing dnd 3.5

Venger
2016-07-01, 04:42 PM
use spellguard of silverymoon and you can turn personal spells to touch. it's still an extra slot but it's not bad. you can't always do a share spell type effect with the guy giving you a piggyback ride without some chicanery.

you could always write into your backstory that you used to be the sorcerer's familiar and were paoed twice into a half-elf and then later took your class levels. the drawback is being vulnerable to dispel, but if your DM wants to cooperate with you it's at least worth looking into.

mastermisha1
2016-07-01, 09:06 PM
Bracelets of spell sharing from the DMG II come to mind.

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-02, 06:15 PM
Found what you need: a two person team!

Check out the teamwork benefits from forge of war:

SHARED MAGIC
Working alongside your spellcasting companions, you have attuned yourselves, physically and spiritually, to their abilities. Training: The spellcasters on the team cast multiple spells on the entire group, while everyone else empties his or her mind and tries to concentrate on the arcane syllables and gestures.
Task Leader Prerequisite: Spellcraft 8 ranks.
Team Member Prerequisite: Spellcraft 2 ranks.
Benefit: When one member of the team casts a spell that affects a specific number of targets—such as teleport, which allows her to bring along a certain number of creatures based on level, or mass cure light wounds—the team counts as one person fewer for the purpose of determining who can be affected. For instance, if a sorcerer can normally take three people along on a teleport, she could take four with the benefits of this ability. This technique works only if team members are the sole targets of the spell. The caster cannot combine team members and nonmembers and still gain this benefit.