PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Casting 2 Concentration Spells

othaero
2016-06-30, 04:50 PM
So I know the RAW say in the PHB
You lose concentration on a spell if you cast another spell that requires concentration. You can't concentrate on two spells at once.

But what if the second concentration spell you casted you only used the effect that round
Example:
You have Mage Armor up and decide to cast Witch Bolt but only want to use the attack the first round and none of the subsequent strikes. Essentially your deciding not to concentrate on it to keep up the effect right?

Kryx
2016-06-30, 04:52 PM
Mage armor does not require concentration.

But to answer your question: Any concentration spell immediately ends any current concentration spell, no matter the duration, if you hit, if you do dmg, etc.

pwykersotz
2016-06-30, 04:53 PM
Then you might be able to petition the DM for an exception, but by the rules your first concentration effect still breaks.

If it worked the way you desire, Paladin smites would be a lot more powerful.

othaero
2016-06-30, 05:01 PM
Mage armor does not require concentration.
I realized that as soon i typed it.

Darn :(

Ninja_Prawn
2016-07-01, 03:14 AM
If it worked the way you desire, Paladin smites would be a lot more powerful.

Yep. Adding concentration to short-duration spells like the smites is a balancing tool. It makes them 'cost' more without having to change their level or muck around with material components. I would be hesitant to go against the RAW in cases like that.

TheFlyingCleric
2016-07-01, 03:53 AM
I realized that as soon i typed it.

Darn :(

I find the Edit Button is sometimes often really good to have at those times.

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-07-01, 06:55 AM
One exception is one of the higher level arcane tradition abilities of the UA Technomagic wizard. Their PDA can hold one concentration for them while they hold another. I forget if it is limited to Technomagic spells or any of your spells