PDA

View Full Version : OoTS in D20 Modern/Shadowrun(just a thought)

NeonRonin
2007-07-01, 11:16 AM
Well, in a demonstration that I have too much time to think on my hands, I started pondering what would happen if Roy and company were in, say, a modern era or cyberpunk setting. (Yes, I checked the Search function but it didn't help me much, so if someone already asked this, I'm sorry.) Basically- what weapons and equipment would they be likely to use in D20 Modern or Shadowrun?

Here's a few ideas of my own, feel free to tell me if I'm off target:

:roy: For melee, I could see him still using a big sword- possibly a Damascus steel katana. But in a modern setting, a pump-action 12-gauge shotgun with a pistol grip(like the cops use) might suit him quite well. Likely Shadowrun archetype: Street Samurai.

:haley: After reading strip 470, it's easy for me to see her with a pair of Desert Eagle semiautomatics, one in each hand(visions of Levy from the anime Black Lagoon here). For distance work, a sniper rifle that could be broken down and stowed in a briefcase. Likely Shadowrun archetype: either a Street Samurai with a Smartlink, or an Adept(all that tumbling and dodging around).

:elan: Early in his career(pre-Dashing Swordsman), maybe a .38 revolver. Later on, it's possible he'd upgrade to a Glock. Melee-wise, a rapier wouldn't work too well in a modern setting, but maybe a collapsable police baton would. Likely Shadowrun archetype: Face. Maybe even a Mystic Adept.

:vaarsuvius: I don't see V really using any sort of weapon; s/he would predictably insist that ultimate arcane power trumps any size caliber weapon. Likely Shadowrun archetype: Hermetic Mage, specialized in the Sorcery aspect.

:durkon: Tricky. I'd almost be tempted to say a double-barrel shotgun, or failing that, an electric stun baton. I'm open to suggestions here. Likely Shadowrun archetype: Shaman of either the Dragonslayer or Sky Father totems(both seem to suit Thor rather well).

:belkar: For two-fisted fury, I think he'd go for a pair of submachine pistols loaded with explosive armor-piercing rounds. Perfect for a hailstorm of bloody vengeance. Likely Shadowrun archetype: Adept.

I know it's a little off-the-wall, but I thought I'd put it out and see what anyone else thought about OoTS Modern. I haven't put much thought into whether any of them would have cyberware or not. Thoughts, questions, concerns? Am I just wasting my time?

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-01, 11:50 AM
You know, I never thought of this before. Maybe I should get my Shadowrun books and ginormous brick "o" dice out, and rethink... Unfortunatly, my books are back in Colorado, so I'm doing this from memory.

:haley: might go Rigger, using a mix of stealth robots to scout out and a vehicle get the team from point A to point B.

:elan: Musician/Hacker. I don't remember the class, but I know Elan would have to be all about the club scene. Lots of connections, the guy who gets the contract, but takes a lot of input on negociations. Elan would end up arguing in favor of Mr. Johnson, given half a chance.

:roy: Street Samurai, all the way.

:durkon: Shaman. Not sure of the specific one, so I'll go with the ones you mentioned until someone comes up with something better.

:vaarsuvius: Corporate Mage on the run. S/he is too bookish to be anything but a research mage, college professor mage, or something like that.

:belkar: Mini-mini gun! I don't know how, but Belkar would find a way! Two mini-mini guns, one for each hand, belt fed from a back pack with wheels!

EntilZha
2007-07-01, 11:53 AM
I think :haley: would be the one most likely to have any cyberware. She's the one most adept at taking stuff that doesn't belong to her, and in a Modern/Cyberpunk setting that would include information.

:belkar: : For melee combat, I could see him wielding a pair of butterfly knives, or possibly something more exotic, intimidating and deadly, like:

A couple of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300125279486&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting)

OR

A pair of these bad boys (http://cgi.ebay.com/DOUBLE-SOARING-PHOENIX-DAGGER-WITH-STAND-0-99_W0QQitemZ150136872302QQihZ005QQcategoryZ88903QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-01, 11:57 AM
I think :haley: would be the one most likely to have any cyberware. She's the one most adept at taking stuff that doesn't belong to her, and in a Modern/Cyberpunk setting that would include information.

:belkar: : For melee combat, I could see him wielding a pair of butterfly knives, or possibly something more exotic, intimidating and deadly, like:

A couple of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300125279486&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting)

OR

A pair of these bad boys (http://cgi.ebay.com/DOUBLE-SOARING-PHOENIX-DAGGER-WITH-STAND-0-99_W0QQitemZ150136872302QQihZ005QQcategoryZ88903QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Nah, Belkar would have two flick knives.

A crazed, shoeless sociopath with dwarfism and flick knives.

In a dark alley.

Near you.

plainsfox
2007-07-01, 12:07 PM
:belkar: would be a dwarf (no halflings in SR) sammie with alot of wiring. It would also explain some things. The less (meta)human you are, the less (meta) humanlike you behave.
:elan: would be a bard of fire from the Tir na Nog sourcebook.
:haley: fits best as a smart linked assassin type of a character.
:vaarsuvius: Yah. Runaway corperate mage elf
:roy: is more of an all arounder. I don't think he'd be chromed to the point I think Belkar would. I think Roy would fall into the old mercenary archtype from SR2.
:durkon: Pretty much pegged earlier as a shaman of the Sky Father or any one else that can pass for a Thunder God.

Cubey
2007-07-01, 12:09 PM
Nitpick here: show me a human able to shoot from two Desert Eagles at the same time and I will show you hateful lies. Even the buffest guys can't handle that easily, so Haley with her average-at-best STR score is out.

plainsfox
2007-07-01, 12:23 PM
Heh. I figure Haley for a Sniper Rifle. WHen has she ever used anything close range in OOTS? Besides a Head butt, that is.

EntilZha
2007-07-01, 12:27 PM
Nitpick here: show me a human able to shoot from two Desert Eagles at the same time and I will show you hateful lies. Even the buffest guys can't handle that easily, so Haley with her average-at-best STR score is out.

Then how about a pair of 9mm automatic pistols like Kate Beckinsale wielded in "Underworld"?

Snipers_Promise
2007-07-01, 12:35 PM
I always imagined belker with one of those chainsaw guns from gears of war.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-07-01, 12:44 PM
Then how about a pair of 9mm automatic pistols like Kate Beckinsale wielded in "Underworld"?

You mean souped-up, super-high capped magazine-holding, Glock Model 18s?
I can see it.

I see Haley going for more of a utility weapon, though, maybe an M-16/M-4 (or its equivilent), or a workable M8-8 Rifle?

NeonRonin
2007-07-01, 02:05 PM
I can see it.

I see Haley going for more of a utility weapon, though, maybe an M-16/M-4 (or its equivilent), or a workable M8-8 Rifle?

This actually sounds better than my initial suggestions; yeah, upon rethinking the Desert Eagle would be too heavy, but 9mm Glocks shouldn't be too bad. And I like the alternate rifle suggestion, since a sniper rifle wouldn't do good once enemies got in closer.

More ideas- who would get what type of augmentations, either cyberware or bioware. I can't for the life of me see any of the spellslingers going under the knife, so here's what I'm thinking.

Belkar- yeah, wired reflexes to the max. Maybe some Muscle Augmentation bioware, and some Damage Compensators. (I thought about the Pain Editor, but...)

Haley- I'd say Muscle Toner and Enhanced Articulation bioware, maybe Boosted Reflexes instead of Wired, definitely a Smartlink. Of course, it also depends on whether or not she's built as an Adept or as a Covert Ops Sammy.

Roy- Muscle Augmentation and Muscle Toner, Boosted Reflexes, Trauma Damper bioware. Maybe even some Sleep Regulator bioware so he'd be able to pull those all-night watches more easily.

Any thoughts?

Thanatos 51-50
2007-07-01, 02:17 PM
This actually sounds better than my initial suggestions; yeah, upon rethinking the Desert Eagle would be too heavy, but 9mm Glocks shouldn't be too bad. And I like the alternate rifle suggestion, since a sniper rifle wouldn't do good once enemies got in closer.

Sniper Rifles wouldn't be useless once the enemy got close, just not very big on the magazine capacity. You forget that these weapons fire extremly high-velocity, high-caliber rounds designed to travel long distances with pinpoint accuracy. Also, not automatic fire, should it become nessecary, an upgrade of the M-14, now that I think about it , might be an excellent Haley Rifle.

And with the automatic glocks, you have automatic fire, and magazine capactiy, bullets that bounce around inside your target, and anything over nine millimeters is pretty much overkill, anyway.
DE.50s are usually style-over-substance tools of intimidation, anyway.

On the Cyberware front, definatly some Accuracy/Agility implants for Haley, and something to grant evasion. Cybereyes would also be beautiful.
Belakr would be agilty-d and strength-d to teh max.

Roy would be more utilitarian, a few Muscle boosts, a few Intlligence expanding gadgets (especially anything considering Attacks of Opertunity, heh...), and some Reflex mods.

(forgive me, my father introduced my to roleplaying, and refused to let me anywhere near a shadowrun game, all the info I have is faint memories from olde-edition rulebooks, and I haven't been able to find anything/anyone over here in Japan)

EntilZha
2007-07-01, 03:49 PM
I can see it.

Or how about an MP5 or even a UMP? (http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg16-e.htm) In this instance I think a submachine gun is akin to a shortbow, and would fit Haley well.

Ancalagon
2007-07-01, 03:58 PM
Belkar isn't an Adept, since those are more or less D&D monks. Body and discipline.

Balkar is more likely some highly wired, nearly 0,0x essence streetsam with all the nice things that let him kill better, faster more efficient. Totally more machine than man. And when other runners say "no wetwort", Belkar has a shield around his neck that claims...

Brianfowler713
2007-07-01, 10:03 PM
Now someone made this topic I'll have to finish that Inkscape picture I was working on months ago! :smallredface:

Be patient though.

Corwin Weber
2007-07-02, 01:33 AM
:elan: would still use his rapier. They punch right through modern armor. For range, probably a generic pistol pre-swash, twin USP Match .45's after taking whatever the modern/cyber version of Dashing Swordsman is. Add training in some flashy martial arts style, like thai boxing or one of the more elegant, flamboyant kung-fu families.

And a trenchcoat. Must billow out behind him as he spins and shoots. Welcome to the world of the modern swashbuckler.

:haley: I have to agree would settle on a bolt-action, something slender and advanced.

Meh who am I kidding? Barrett all the way. She'd get :elan: to carry it for her if she had to.

And as far as the DE's go, wrong. Anybody can fire two of them. It's not tough.

You can't hit the broad side of a skyscraper when you do it, but firing them is pretty simple... :)

:belkar: would pack a basic, simple gun. Probably just a standard 10mm or .40 cal. Maybe a sawed off 12 or 20 gauge. The gun is beside the point. He'd get truly dangerous when he pulled out half a kilo of C4 and got an evil gleam in his eye.

A CAWS would also be an option. Ok, yeah. Twin CAWS. With a pair of Desert Eagle .50's as a backup.

Yes I know he only weighs 30 lbs. This is :belkar: we're talking about here. He'd find a way.

:roy: would have a monoblade of some kind for close-in work. No-Dachi probably. Maybe a naginata. Something solid as a gun, probably something made by FN.

:durkon: isn't a hardcore combat character. .45 ACP in his belt, probably either a colt, beretta or a glock.

:vaarsuvius: wouldn't carry a weapon. All magic all the time. He would, however, strap on DragonSkin™ or whatever the campaign equivalent is.

Mr Wizard
2007-07-02, 02:32 AM
I dont know much about d20, but the original poster was right, if Roy became three dimensional and in the modern world, I can see him picking up a shotgun.

But since his Greatsword is +5, I think he would also choose something along the same lines of advancement.

Therefore, Jackhammer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancor_Jackhammer).

:biggrin: