PDA

View Full Version : Disintegrate vs iron golem?

epicniro7
2016-06-30, 06:46 PM
Hi guys I'm dm-ing a campaign right now in 3.5e and one of the players is an 18th level wizard with disentegrate. The party is up against 4 iron golems and the wizard decides to cast disintegrate at one of the golems. Disintegration would usually require something really hot so would the damage heal the golem or affect it normally?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-30, 06:48 PM
Iron golems are immune to spells that allow spell resistance (with some exceptions), including disintegrate. The spell does not deal fire damage, so the golem does not heal. The disintegrate spell description does not mention heat in any way, I don't know where you got that from.

PseudoPanda
2016-06-30, 06:51 PM
Iron Golems are only healed by fire damage so a Disintegrate spell would not heal it. However, since Iron Golems have Immunity to Magic (Ex) it would be unaffected by the spell due to it allowing spell resistance.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-06-30, 06:57 PM
If the wizard was also a dweomerkeeper and had Supernatural Spell, he could affect the golems normally. Otherwise, as others have said, the golems would ignore it.

AslanCross
2016-06-30, 07:50 PM
Disintegrate does not use heat. It doesn't mention the mechanism by which it tears its targets apart, it just does. Furthermore it can also disintegrate force effects, so it clearly isn't heat-based.

Âmesang
2016-07-01, 01:33 AM
Any chance he could disintegrate the ground and have the golem fall in?

Pugwampy
2016-07-01, 06:06 AM
Wizard would scored better if he shot grease in front of the golem .

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-07-01, 07:03 AM
Any chance he could disintegrate the ground and have the golem fall in?He could certainly lure a golem into a pit he creates with disintegrate. But as for disintegrating the ground directly under the golem... Does the ground directly beneath it count as an attended object? If so, does the golem's magic immunity protect attended objects? If the answer to both of those is 'yes,' then no, it can't. If the answer is 'no' to either one, then yes, though I imagine a Reflex save would allow it to hop away right before it falls in.

Wizard would scored better if he shot grease in front of directly underneath the golem.There. That's better.

Mr Adventurer
2016-07-01, 07:19 AM
Disintegrate does not use heat. It doesn't mention the mechanism by which it tears its targets apart, it just does. Furthermore it can also disintegrate force effects, so it clearly isn't heat-based.
It's Transmutation, so it doesn't even tear then apart - it just turns them into a small pile of dust.

I think creatures with the (shapechanger) subtype might be able to change themselves back?

AslanCross
2016-07-01, 07:23 AM
It's Transmutation, so it doesn't even tear then apart - it just turns them into a small pile of dust.

I think creatures with the (shapechanger) subtype might be able to change themselves back?

It actually deals damage to the target. They get turned into dust if their HP reaches 0.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-07-01, 08:02 AM
It actually deals damage to the target. They get turned into dust if their HP reaches 0.
So presumably, a shapechanger with Diehard could change themselves back :smalltongue:?

I think it doesn't work, because disintegrate lacks the specific text that allows shapechangers to revert form, but I'd be happy to hear of a general rule that works for instantaneous transmutations.

AslanCross
2016-07-01, 08:22 AM
So presumably, a shapechanger with Diehard could change themselves back :smalltongue:?

I think it doesn't work, because disintegrate lacks the specific text that allows shapechangers to revert form, but I'd be happy to hear of a general rule that works for instantaneous transmutations.

It would require a very liberal DM as well. :P

Mr Adventurer
2016-07-01, 08:56 AM

So? :)

Ah yes, I misremembered where that text appeared. Hm. Is there perhaps a shape-changing PrC that includes it?

Zombimode
2016-07-01, 09:02 AM

No. The ability to revert to their original form is not a function of the shapechanger subtype, nor of an ability based on alternate form or change shape. Instead it needs to be spelled out by the specific transmutation effect individually.

In other words: shapechangers can change back to their original form ending the effect of an Baleful Polymorph spell because, and only because, the spells itself allows them to do so.

AslanCross
2016-07-01, 09:15 AM

By dealing damage, it actually tears the target apart. It isn't just a "suddenly, it's another thing" effect. It leaves lasting damage on a target even if it didn't get dusted. Even with your extremely liberal interpretation, you can't shapeshift those lost hit points back.

You're free to interpret it as you like, but we're hijacking this thread already.

Mr Adventurer
2016-07-01, 09:17 AM
Is there perhaps a shape-changing PrC that includes it?

There we are - Master of Many Forms at 10th chooses whether to accept any transmutation effect.

Mr Adventurer
2016-07-01, 09:26 AM
By dealing damage, it actually tears the target apart.

I don't know where you're getting that from, or even what you really mean.

It isn't just a "suddenly, it's another thing" effect.

...it is an Instantaneous transmutation.

It leaves lasting damage on a target even if it didn't get dusted.

Even with your extremely liberal interpretation, you can't shapeshift those lost hit points back.

I don't know what you mean by my 'extremely liberal interpretation'?

But also, nobody has suggested anything about shapeshifting lost hit points back - you're the only one to have mentioned it.