PDA

View Full Version : Name for Anti-Magic Material

Kami2awa
2016-07-01, 04:31 AM
Dear all,

I'm considering for a D&D/PF setting at the moment a material which is a combination of materials which are traditionally non-magical or protective (salt, iron, silver, rowan wood) but itself is not magical. If a box (for example) is coated with this stuff completely, the inside is treated as being under an anti magic field. This is used to make protective bunkers against magic and prison cells for spellcasters.

I'm looking for a name for this material. The setting is a fantasy/steampunk one so anything along those lines would be good. Any ideas? Also, any ideas for other substances to incorporate into it?

Millstone85
2016-07-01, 05:43 AM
The SCP Foundation has an anti-telepathy material that they call "telekill alloy".

So how about "thaumakill alloy"?

Anonymouswizard
2016-07-01, 06:37 AM
Does this material have any other properties?

I do have two ideas:
-Thaunull. Similar idea to the poster above me, but not having alloy in the name.
-Named after the creator or someone famous (e.g. bobsonium). This is used a lot in our world.

Jay R
2016-07-01, 07:14 AM
"lead" stupid length rule

Joe the Rat
2016-07-01, 07:46 AM
Are you looking at a special material, or a magical alloy, or wacky antimagic paint?

My first thought is to name it after what it most resembles in material properties. From there, add a descriptor that reflects the AM properties, or just sounds cool: Banesilver, Black Adamant, Faradian Bronze, Mugglewood, Lodestone, Jailer's Rouge, etc. Make players aware of this material and what it does, depending on how common/commonly known it is.

"lead"Yeah, or that. You could simply say lead blocks magic (which it for the most part does in D&D), and expand that to it being inert vs magic. It could extend past the edges for a distance, letting you leave air holes, or to make a window magic-proof with a leaded glass lattice.

Galena is a lead/silver ore: Two birds with one stone.

erikun
2016-07-01, 07:46 AM
Spellward

Arcanull

If the developer wanted to keep the composition obscure and/or give it a noteworthy name, then they might intentionally present it with some "legendary" material name. Orichalcum is rather famous for having an unknown composition (at least in reality) and is a fairly recognizable name. If someone was a salesman and wanted to get the name of their material out there, then calling it "rediscovered Orichalcum" wouldn't be unreasonable.

Jormengand
2016-07-01, 07:58 AM
Anathematerial? :smalltongue:

GrayDeath
2016-07-01, 09:25 AM
"Null Iron" or "Deadstone" would be my goe to`s

Although "Antitaumatologium" or maybe "Antimetal" might ework well if youa re of a more funny mind. ^^

Anonymouswizard
2016-07-01, 09:32 AM
Yeah, or that. You could simply say lead blocks magic (which it for the most part does in D&D), and expand that to it being inert vs magic. It could extend past the edges for a distance, letting you leave air holes, or to make a window magic-proof with a leaded glass lattice.

Galena is a lead/silver ore: Two birds with one stone.

Reminds me of aluminium in Mistborn, where it couldn't be affected by iron and steel (which pushed metals away from you or pulled them towards you), and wearing an aluminium lined hat protected against having your emotions manipulated. Not sure if it countered bronze (which sensed this specific magic system), there hasn't been a book with common enough aluminium to check. Note that this actually makes sense from the point of view of this magic system, as aluminium gets rid of the user's metal reserves used to 'cast', but as the other two systems in the world work differently aluminium is not anti-magic to them.

As a bonus, aluminium can be really rare if a setting doesn't have the technology to refine it as we do (which is a really new technology in the grand scheme of human civilisation). If you picked something like lead everybody might be covering their walls in it, but if a significant component is a material rare enough that only the highest guest could eat with it and everybody else used gold? Then it might be known but won't be widely used, making it a surprise when it comes up.

Gildedragon
2016-07-01, 09:59 AM
Nevinirral

But since it is a process it'd be more like Nulled or Dimmed or Awondized or Aufhebened

Or, after an empiricist
The Charvaka Process or A metal called Charvaka

Bulhakov
2016-07-01, 11:24 AM
Orichalcum?
Voidstone?
Or consult the table:
https://www.buymetalonline.co.uk/images/fictional_minerals.jpg

Max_Killjoy
2016-07-01, 11:41 AM
Mandanium?

(Mun-dane-eeum)

Hunter Noventa
2016-07-01, 01:50 PM
Orichalcum?
Voidstone?
Or consult the table:

I'm so very pleased to see Tronium and Zyflud Crystal on there.

As for the OC...Manannihilatium, like a Sphere of Annihilation, only with Mana.

Fayd
2016-07-01, 01:55 PM
Final Fantasy XII went with Nethicite for a similar material (though it was more perfect absorption of magic until it couldn't... then it was more of a thermonuclear warhead).

Nuluminum? Aetherium? Amagenesse? Avoxite? Thirsty Iron? Desert Steel? Necrite?

Strigon
2016-07-01, 04:12 PM
Orichalcum?
Voidstone?
Or consult the table:

Gosh, the location of eezo on that list is seriously killing me.

Anyway, dimeritium?
Mundanite? Thaumium? Suppressium?

Alternatively, you could go with the real-world route and name it after a person, rather than solely its properties.

Pugwampy
2016-07-01, 06:09 PM
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/powerpuff/images/f/f2/1359834434572802441chemical_x-md.png/revision/latest?cb=20130213113934

Max_Killjoy
2016-07-01, 06:26 PM
Gosh, the location of eezo on that list is seriously killing me.

Because it's not at spot zero, because it's in the spot where manganese would go, or... ?

Strigon
2016-07-01, 07:32 PM
Because it's not at spot zero, because it's in the spot where manganese would go, or... ?

Because it's not at spot zero. Or anywhere near it.
I mean it's not like it would take someone with a doctorate in chemistry to figure out that element ZERO would not go in the MIDDLE of the table! Unless, of course, they think that there are negative elements, but that just raises a thousand more issues.
Clearly they've seen a periodic table before; you can tell they made some effort to line up these groups with the groups found in the real world, and there are even other elements that are out of place relative to the others in their group - like Flubber - so WHY PUT EEZO IN THE MIDDLE? YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER!

Madbox
2016-07-01, 07:38 PM
Magebane? Or maybe Grave Steel, as it is dead (inert).

Max_Killjoy
2016-07-01, 07:52 PM
Because it's not at spot zero. Or anywhere near it.
I mean it's not like it would take someone with a doctorate in chemistry to figure out that element ZERO would not go in the MIDDLE of the table! Unless, of course, they think that there are negative elements, but that just raises a thousand more issues.
Clearly they've seen a periodic table before; you can tell they made some effort to line up these groups with the groups found in the real world, and there are even other elements that are out of place relative to the others in their group - like Flubber - so WHY PUT EEZO IN THE MIDDLE? YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER!

Here's the kicker -- eezo isn't an element in the classical sense... it's probably a form of neutronium.

SirBellias
2016-07-01, 11:11 PM
Anathem is a fun name.
Murchortium is a mineral from a game I'm in.
I like the idea of naming after a fantastical metal that hasn't been truly identified yet, like with the orichalcum example.
Dantium?
Garalambin
Luichar.
Carhebord.
Jinnbind?

Trekkin
2016-07-01, 11:20 PM
I'll second "mundanium" and add that, if you want the name to be a bit pointed, "wizbane" would be a nice parallel to wolfsbane while making the anti-magical nature of the material quite clear.

hymer
2016-07-02, 06:34 AM
Though not an alloy, troll oak is traditionally magic resistant in my campaign worlds. Cold iron, i believe, is supposed to have antimagic properties in 3.X. Other than that, lead, as others have mentioned.

Regwon
2016-07-02, 06:41 AM
In the Malazan Books of the Fallen, there's this ore called otataral that deadens magic (through a mechanism specific to that universe) and drives magic users insane after enough exposure. Its commonly sold as a red/brown dust and can be incorperated into other objects (swords, boxes, whatever).

Regitnui
2016-07-02, 09:03 AM
I'd go with Galena, personally. The idea of the divination-blocking properties of lead combined with the reflective properties of silver somehow sounds precisely like the type of thing an alchemist would create. It's also quite within the reach of a number of organizations.

Kami2awa
2016-07-02, 03:44 PM
I'm wondering about "mephitic iron" actually.

Esprit15
2016-07-02, 04:42 PM
"lead" stupid length rule

Honest-to-God Lead.

Cluedrew
2016-07-02, 04:44 PM
I usually draw from the idea of emptiness, so a words like void, null, nil, abyss or black end to show up. The scariest anti-magic material I can remember (sort of) was leachiron, because that was "absorb and any all magic directed at it, and slowly syphon off any in the area" level anti-magic.

The Glyphstone
2016-07-02, 04:54 PM
Plotonium.
Machinite (as in Deus Ex...)

WrittenInBlood
2016-07-03, 02:27 AM
In Witcherworld it's called "dvimerite" (with "vi" pronounced as in "civil").

Decade
2016-07-03, 04:09 AM
i suggest '' antidote '' XD

Takewo
2016-07-03, 03:13 PM
Fmaiol.

And I'm just adding text because I need at least 10 characyers.

Herobizkit
2016-07-07, 05:36 AM
Trinomanatol. :)

Annulite? ('Annul' being the root there)

Mutazoia
2016-07-07, 06:08 AM
"Wonderflonium"

Max_Killjoy
2016-07-07, 06:28 AM
Annulite? ('Annul' being the root there)

That's a good one.