PDA

View Full Version : I got power word stunned... CoS spolier

djreynolds
2016-07-01, 06:22 AM
What an awful spell? We are 7th level fighting the witch Baba something and her house.

My life cleric dropped down channel divinity to heal the 40 she just blighted me with, and then later dropped down a huge mass healing word.

And then she stunned me, yes I will get resilient con at 8th level. Oh and then house critted me for almost 70HP and cleaned me out.

I had casted death ward on our warlock-only had 1 4th levelspell, that I could've used. And I had aid casted on me and 2 others.

We did survive, the warlock has some cleric spells from a multiclass and used his familiar to heal me. And then we killed her.

We had no time to prepare, and I was lucky.

Aside from crying to you guys and gals, was there another spell aside from death ward, that could've saved my bacon?

Cakeking
2016-07-01, 06:40 AM
you guys won though...didnt you?

Were you looking for a spell to prevent you from being stunned, or something that would have healed you more?

cause if you casted feign death, she would prolly left you alone while your allies died

Ninja_Prawn
2016-07-01, 06:46 AM
Aside from crying to you guys and gals, was there another spell aside from death ward, that could've saved my bacon?

Counterspell?

Alerad
2016-07-01, 07:11 AM
Both Baba Lysaga and the hut are pretty powerful, but you still managed to beat them. I'd say good DM if he didn't nerf the encounter.

Countrrspell. Otherwise, does Stun allow a save? I forgot. Bardic inspiration, Bless or Resistance are nice. Paladin in your party. Also if it requires her to see you any kind of invisibility or hiding.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-07-01, 07:27 AM
Otherwise, does Stun allow a save? I forgot.

Power Word: X spells don't allow saves. It's their 'gimmick', if you will. Aside from having only verbal components, of course.

And yes, PW:S allows saves at the end of turns to recover; it's only the first turn you don't get a save against.

djreynolds
2016-07-01, 08:02 AM
I'm not sure if I had counterspell as a cleric. We were lucky that someone in the house was able to rip out the gem. Thank you eladr in and misty step.
I had big plans brewing at the get go, the power word stun was DC 18, and I failed miserably.
We did live, once the warlock owl healed me. But we got tossed around. The DM had a great tactic with the power word stun, and then the house just swatted me.
I knew I should've used death ward on me.

Malifice
2016-07-01, 08:31 AM
I'm not sure if I had counterspell as a cleric. We were lucky that someone in the house was able to rip out the gem. Thank you eladr in and misty step.
I had big plans brewing at the get go, the poer word stuwn was DC 18, and I failed miserably.
We did live, once the warlock owl healed me. But we got tossed around. The DM had a great tactic with the power word stun, and then the house just swatted me.
I knew I should've used death ward on me.

AFB, but there is no save on Power word Stun.

If you have less than X HP, you get stunned.

Dreamspawn
2016-07-01, 09:56 AM
What an awful spell? We are 7th level fighting the witch Baba something and her house.

Well no not really, it was made for a time of squishier wizards in 2nd ed (D4 and you'd be lucky to have a con bonus)

the power words were the wizards ace in the hole, they didn't want the aging or the str loss of Wish or even limited wish

meteor swarm was bit overkill and power words effect anyone of 70 or less hp and was quite effective against lesser foes and gave wizards a fighting chance against powerful creatures

Also remember that in 2nd ed not all spells were available by nipping to a shop like in third and fourth

Now putting this in perspective of 5e power words are a >little< over powered and add in to the fact they don't 'memorise' spells like they used to (ie they don't have to memorise fireball as 6th level to USE it as 6th level)

I do get what your saying and I don't see why power words stay mostly the same but Harm no longer takes all but 1d4 HP from a creature.....

but remember wizard spells have been *dramatically* reduced in number and versatility.

Fireball used to be less damage to start with (5d8 at 5th level mage) but 'capped out' at 20d6 at level 20 and ONLY USED a 3rd level slot

in fifth its 8d6 as a 3rd level 14d8 cast as a 9th level spell...

Wizards magic has become a lot more 'balanced' I'm still unsure if I like it, but it fits well and allowing wizards to keep power word stun and kill seems fair.

ESP. when you consider they made stun an 8th level spell and gave it a saving throw (Making it weaker than the 7th level spell of the same name but upped the max hit point it effects to 150 to compensated HD differences)

it was bad luck for you (and good planning for the DM to have the REALLY smart Baba target the obvious healer of the party) but if you had lasted even one round you'd of had a decent chance of succeeding a saving throw (something that wasn't even an option in the old 7th level version) so it is actually a lot weaker than a standard 8th level spell....

I agree with the power word kill changes though,

Though I might ask him to consider baba may be a little too high CR for you?

Dreamspawn
2016-07-01, 09:59 AM
AFB, but there is no save on Power word Stun.

If you have less than X HP, you get stunned.

in 5E they get a saving throw every round after the first round till they save :( prefer the 7th level version :P

Alerad
2016-07-01, 10:36 PM
I double checked, indeed Power Word Stun allows a save only after the first round, so you spend 1 turn stunned on any case.

Cheap solution will be to use Fog cloud, Darkness or some illusion spell, since it requires the spellcaster to see you. Even cheaper alternative is hiding behind a boulder or a large tree. Most such spells are not available to clerics though, except Tempest and Trickery perhaps.

djreynolds
2016-07-01, 11:30 PM
What I did learn...

Back up healers

Make sure if the Life cleric goes down there is a contingency, I should've used death ward on myself instead of the warlock

If the enemy casters are ToO, then so are your casters especially clerics

Baba Lysaga can be rough