PDA

View Full Version : Can BBEGs share a lair?

MrFahrenheit
2016-07-01, 08:30 AM
So I'm getting to the point where I need to plot out the final dungeon of my campaign. I'm already plotting the final encounter for the eight man party (who will be level 20 by then), when a question rang in my head:

If multiple BBEGs are in the same encounter, can they share the locale is a lair for the purposes of lair actions?

It makes sense when you consider more than one of the same type of enemy (a pair of mated dragons, for example), but would/should it work for those that aren't all the same?

Alejandro
2016-07-01, 08:37 AM
So I'm getting to the point where I need to plot out the final dungeon of my campaign. I'm already plotting the final encounter for the eight man party (who will be level 20 by then), when a question rang in my head:

If multiple BBEGs are in the same encounter, can they share the locale is a lair for the purposes of lair actions?

It makes sense when you consider more than one of the same type of enemy (a pair of mated dragons, for example), but would/should it work for those that aren't all the same?

Maybe, like you said, if they are the same type of creature, but probably not if they are very different. For example, a beholder and a dragon have extremely different lairs and lair actions based on such.

Edit: And a beholder would never lair with a dragon anyway, or anything else it probably can't control utterly or just destroy.

MrStabby
2016-07-01, 08:39 AM
My answer is yes.

Not based on rules, but based on fun. Two legendary creatures in one encounter seems fun and each should be individual enough with their legendary actions. Having a common lair and lair actions helps to tie the two together and generate a stronger theme. You may want to tailor the lair to match the pair of creatures and adjust some actions so they reflect both residents.

gfishfunk
2016-07-01, 09:02 AM
If they love each other, who are you to tell them that they cannot live together?

Sianthus
2016-07-01, 09:09 AM
If they love each other, who are you to tell them that they cannot live together?

Yeah! If an eldritch abomination wants to get it on with a sentient gray slime, you should let them HARUMPH

KillingAScarab
2016-07-01, 09:09 AM
If they love each other, who are you to tell them that they cannot live together?I stopped by to offer a similar response. Two words: The Technodrome (http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Technodrome).

MrFahrenheit
2016-07-01, 10:49 AM
I'm not thinking of romantically involved BBEGs, but rather militarily allied ones who have a joint HQ. I do like the technodrome example...so I'm gonna roll with yes. Thanks, all!

Temperjoke
2016-07-01, 10:50 AM
Honestly, it sounds like a sitcom in the making. :P

Fan of the fail
2016-07-01, 10:52 AM
I'm reminded of an episode of Kim Possible where Dr. Draken has his lair on a time share and he kepps getting phone calls for the villain he shares it with.

RickAllison
2016-07-01, 11:12 AM
I think absolutely yes. I had a triumvirate of a death knight, a lich (with modified lair actions), a shadow dragon, and a giant monstrosity modeled after a demon lord. All shared the same lair complex, all used it to their advantage. Well, technically the monstrosity warped the place to make his lair, but I digress.

Ruslan
2016-07-01, 12:09 PM
Although in that case they're technically a BBEC.