PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spell: Quickstep

This be Richard
2016-07-01, 09:14 AM
Anyway, I drew this spell up to be an alternative to Shocking Grasp for casters that want to get away from an adjacent enemy without taking an action to disengage. Created it because I realized that the White Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?492201-White-Mage-(PEACH)) I drew up couldn't use Shocking Grasp and, without it, lacked any way to get away from enemies without completely giving up their main action.

I've considered refluffing it as an abjuration cantrip that protects you with a quick, haphazard ward while you move, but the mechanics would be the same.

Quickstep
Available to Bards, Druids, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards
Divination cantrip
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V,S
Duration: Instantaneous
A quick spell guides your movement through a dangerous space. The next time your movement triggers an opportunity attack on this turn, the attack is rolled with disadvantage.

Final Hyena
2016-07-01, 09:30 AM
The current wording;

When your movement triggers an opportunity attack on your turn, you may cast this spell to give the resulting attack disadvantage.
Makes it feel like a reaction instead of a bonus. Perhaps something like;
The next time your movement triggers an opportunity attack on this turn, the attack is rolled with disadvantage.

Spell Names;
Quickstep
Discrete Movement
Precog-Shift
Nimble-stride

This be Richard
2016-07-01, 10:05 AM
You're completely right.
Updated. Thank you very much!

JBPuffin
2016-07-01, 11:08 PM
It took a minute, but I realize now why a reaction version might be a bad idea >.>. Disadvantage on every opportunity attack ever rolled against you from level one is pretty potent. :smalleek: