PDA

View Full Version : Enlarged Halfling/Gnome + Heavy Weapon

RulesJD
2016-07-01, 12:59 PM
If you cast Enlarge on a Halfling/Gnome, their size becomes Medium. Does that mean they can then use Heavy Weapons without penalty?

If so, what builds could potentially take advantage of this the best? Barbarian is (very sadly) out of the question because Raging would stop the concentration.

My initial feeling would be a Paladorc with Resiliency (Con) + GWM. Takes 8th level to come fully online, 10th level if you count getting to Paladin 6 for the Aura + Resiliency meaning you basically never fail a concentration save again.

Alternatively, a Fighter 2/Abjuration Wizard would work really well due to the ward helping block some damage. Plus the stats line up better with either Halfling or Gnome.

Foxhound438
2016-07-01, 01:21 PM
my feel is gnome eldritch knight. EK's with heavy weapons are already good, throw in gnome cunning for good stuff.

However, it would fall far behind a hasty EK. Basically check your campaign's level range, if it ends before EK's get haste, it's good, otherwise you're ultimately nerfing yourself.

RulesJD
2016-07-01, 01:57 PM
my feel is gnome eldritch knight. EK's with heavy weapons are already good, throw in gnome cunning for good stuff.

However, it would fall far behind a hasty EK. Basically check your campaign's level range, if it ends before EK's get haste, it's good, otherwise you're ultimately nerfing yourself.

Oh this isn't even remotely a power build. Was hoping I missed something that could somehow extend the duration of Enlarge to be 10+ minutes (Sorc metamagic isn't enough), or some other way of getting Medium size on a Halfling/Gnome.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-01, 02:02 PM
Letting mid to high strength small characters use heavy weapons doesn't cause a problem balance wise...

Could you imagine if big races or non-Int bonus races got disadvantage on spell attacks? Lol.

Let enlarged Halfling/gnomes use heavy weapons, it isn't going to hurt anything.

Mr.Moron
2016-07-01, 02:08 PM
I don't see why not. I mean they're bigger now, so they should be able to handle weapons that are too large an unwieldy for them to handle when they're smaller. Its kind of a cute idea.