PDA

View Full Version : 5E Hexblade

Bhu
2016-07-01, 04:16 PM
HEXBLADE (much thanks to Tenacious J for his help on this one!)
With darkness in his eyes an Elven killer steps into the streets, black smoke pouring from his unsheathed blade,

Singing his death song, a pale and sickly looking dwarf ensures he will be remembered by spreading his curse as much as he can before his foes take him,

Peasants make signs to ward off the evil eye as a cloaked man steps off the carriage into the noon day sun.

Hexblades are warriors not of skill, but the fell powers upon which tainted them before birth. This power manifests in different ways, none of them without the taint of darkness. Some Hexblades use this as a means for Good, intimidating those who have accepted Evil into doing the right thing. Some try to deny their birthright, angrily lashing out at those who pester them to use their full potential. Many simply murder others for gold, having no other talent, and not finding anyone willing to teach them one due to their frightening nature.

CREATING HEXBLADES
When making a Hexblade, think about the reason you inherited such dark power. Perhaps a God or other powerful being cursed you for the sins of your parents. Perhaps you come from a family that has always been tainted. Maybe one of your parents made a pact for you to be granted power in order to avenge the death of their spouse. Or maybe even a powerful Undead felt sympathy for you somehow and gave you a dark gift.

Quick Build
Charisma should be your highest ability score, with the three physical ability scores taking priority afterwards. Choose the Accursed background.

Proficiency Bonus Features
1. +2 Curse
2. +2 Mystic Defenses
3. +2 Dark Archetype
4. +2 Ability Score Improvement
5. +3 Extra Attack
6. +3 Curse
7. +3 Dark Archetype
8. +3 Ability Score Improvement
9. +4 Bleak Aura
10.+4 Dark Archetype
11.+4
12.+4 Ability Score Improvement
13.+5 Bleak Aura
14.+5 Curse
15.+5 Dark Archetype
16.+5 Ability Score Improvement
17.+6 Bleak Aura
18.+6 Dark Archetype
19.+6 Ability Score Improvement
20.+6 Curse

CLASS FEATURES
As a Hexblade you gain the following features:

HIT POINTS
Hit Dice: 1d10 per Hexblade Level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution Modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1dx (or 6) plus your Constitution Modifier per Hexblade Level after 1st

PROFICIENCIES
Armor: Light and Medium Armor, Shields
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma
Skills: Choose 2 Skills from: Animal Handling, Arcana, Deception, Intimidation, Persuasion

EQUIPMENT
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

(a) A Chain Shirt and Shield or (b) A Chain Shirt and an Arcane FOcus
(a) A Greatsword or (b) a Longsword and a Light Crossbow with 20 bolts
(a) a Dungeoneer's Pack or (b) an Explorer's Pack

CURSE
Beginning at 1st Level you can Curse an opponent who is within 60 ft. as an Action. If he fails a Charisma Save, he has Disadvantage on all Attack rolls for 1 Minute. The DC to resist your Curse equals 8 + your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus + any special modifiers. Your Curse may be used 1/rest.

Beginning at Level 6 you may use your Curse as a Bonus Action, and it can now be used 2/rest.

Beginning at Level 14, instead of giving your opponent Disadvantage with his attack rolls, you may instead choose to give him disadvantage with any one Saving Throw. It can now be used 3/rest.

Beginning at Level 20 you may use your Curse 4/rest, and if you are successful you may choose to grant all attack rolls made against him by anyone Advantage for 1 minute.

MYSTIC DEFENSES
Starting at 2nd Level you may expend a use of your Curse to re-roll any failed saving throw.

DARK ARCHETYPE
At 3rd level, you choose an archetype that details what powers the curse grants you. Choose Dark Champion, Shadow Master, or Evil Eye, all detailed at the end of the class description. The archetype you choose grants you features at 3rd level and again at 7th, 10th, 15th, and 18th level.

ABILITY SCORE IMPROVEMENT
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

EXTRA ATTACK
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

BLEAK AURA
Beginning at 9th Level you may cast Blur without verbal components 1/rest. At 13th Level you may cast it 2/rest, and the duration is now set at 1 Minute, and doesn't require concentration. At Level 17 you may cast it 3/rest, and it now affects creatures whose attacks don't rely on sight.

Dark Archetypes
Different Hexblades utilize their Curse in different ways. The Dark Archetype you choose determines which of these paths you will follow.

Dark Champion
The Dark Champions focuses exclusively on the power of his Curse. Those who model themselves on this Archetype try to make their Curse more flexible to use. At each of the appropriate Levels you gain a new effect you can choose to inflict on cursed opponents, but you may only use any one of them on a given opponent, and must decide which one when you attempt to curse him.

Curse of Distraction
At 3rd Level, you may now choose to give a Cursed opponent disadvantage with skill checks based on any one ability score.

Curse of Ignorance
Beginning at 7th Level, opponents you have successfully Cursed cannot cast spells that require Concentration. If the opponent is currently concentrating on a spell already cast that spell ends immediately.

Curse of Sloth
At 10th Level you may now choose to make a cursed opponent Slowed as per the spell.

Curse of Weakness
At 15th Level you may choose to give an opponent disadvantage with damage rolls as well.

Curse of Failure
At 18th Level you may remove your cursed opponents proficiency bonus to one type of roll.

Evil Eye
The Evil Eye has mastered some occult power, learning spells from the Hexblade spell list. They do not need a spellbook, committing a small number of spells to memory instead.

Cantrips Known Spells Known 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
3. 2 3 2 - - -
4. 2 4 3 - - -
5. 2 4 3 - - -
6. 2 4 3 - - -
7. 2 5 4 2 - -
8. 2 6 4 2 - -
9. 2 6 4 2 - -
10. 3 7 4 3 - -
11. 3 8 4 3 - -
12. 3 8 4 3 - -
13. 3 9 4 3 2 -
14. 3 10 4 3 2 -
15. 3 10 4 3 2 -
16. 3 11 4 3 3 -
17. 3 11 4 3 3 -
18. 3 11 4 3 3 -
19. 3 12 4 3 3 1
20. 3 13 4 3 3 1

Spellcasting
You may cast spells beginning at 3rd Level (see Chapter 10 of Player's Handbook for rules on spellcasting, and see below for Hexblade spell list).
Cantrips. You learn two Cantrips of your choice, with an additional Cantrip at Level 10.
Spell Slots. The table above shows your spell slots of 1st Level or higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest. For example, if you know the 1st-level Backlash and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast Backlash using either slot.
Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher. You know three 1st-level Hexblade spells of your choice. The Spells Known column of the Hexblade Spellcasting table shows when you learn more Hexblade spells of 1st level or higher. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 7th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level. Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the spells you know with another spell of your choice from the Hexblade spell list. The new spell must be of a level for which you have spell
slots.
Spellcasting Ability. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your Hexblade spells, since your spells rely upon force of will. You use your Charisma whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Charisma modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a Hexblade spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus +
your Charisma modifier

Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus +
your Charisma modifier

Spell List: Cantrips (0 Level): Blade Ward, Friends, Green-Flame Blade, Poison Spray, Prestidigitation, Sword Burst, Thaumaturgy, Vicious Mockery. 1st Level: Alarm, Backlash*, Bane, Charm Person, Detect Magic, Disguise Self, Hex, Identify, Protection from Evil and Good, Shadow Double*, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Unseen Servant. 2nd Level: Alter Self, Blindness/Deafness, Darkness, Enhance Ability, Enthrall, Invisibility, Magic Weapon, Mirror Image, Nystul's Magic Aura, See Invisibility, Spider Climb, Suggestion. 3rd Level: Bestow Curse, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Fear, Magic Circle, Nondetection, Phantom Steed, Protection from Energy, Stinking Cloud, Vampiric Touch, Wind wall. 4th Level: Confusion, Cursed Sword*, Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility, Phantasmal Killer, Polymorph.

A * indicates new spells.

Smoking Sword
At 3rd Level you learn a one hour ritual you may use to enchant a sword. This ritual can be done during a short rest, and from now on if you use the Attack Action with your Smoking Sword you may attempt to Curse him as a Bonus Action.

Black Cantrip
At 7th Level when you successfully cast a cantrip on an opponent (or damage him with one) you may attempt to Curse him as a Bonus Action.

Accursed Spells
At 10th Level when you successfully cast a spell on an opponent, he has disadvantage on Saving Throws made against your Curse on your next turn.

Power of Darkness
At 15th Level when you successfully Curse an opponent, you may Curse any additional opponent within range as a Bonus Action (this does not count towards the number of Curse attempts you can make per rest).

Touch of Darkness
At 18th Level all opponents you have successfully Cursed take 1d6 Necrotic damage each time they attack you or move closer to you.

Shadow Master
Your shadow moves of it's own accord, and often makes demands of you for blood. Those who choose this archetype have their own shadow aid them in battle at the cost of always fighting to appease it's bloodthirsty nature.

Dark Companion
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, your shadow takes on a life of it's own, and helps you in combat with Supernatural Attacks that are fueled by special dice called superiority dice.
Supernatural Attacks. You learn three Supernatural Attacks of your choice, which are detailed under “Supernatural Attacks” below. Many Supernatural Attacks enhance an attack in some way. You can use only one Supernatural Attack per attack. You learn two additional Supernatural Attacks of your choice at 7th, 10th, and 15th level. Each time you learn new
Supernatural Attack, you can also replace one Supernatural Attack you know with a different one.
Superiority Dice. You have four superiority dice, which are d8s. A superiority die is expended when you use it. You regain all of your expended superiority dice when you finish a short or long rest. You gain another superiority die at 7th level and one more at 15th level.
Saving Throws. Some of your Supernatural Attacks require your target to make a saving throw to resist the Supernatural Attacks effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:

Supernatural Attack DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Shadowsight
At 7th Level you gain Darkvision with a range of 60 ft., and magical darkness does not impede it.

Dark Power
At 10th level, your superiority dice turn into d10s. At 18th level, they turn into dl2s .

Relentless
Starting at 15th level, when you roll initiative and have no superiority dice remaining, you regain 1 superiority die.

Supernatural Attacks

Binding Shadow. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to restrain the target. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it is restrained until the end of your next turn.

Darkness. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to blind the target. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it is blinded until the end of your next turn.

Paralyzing Shadow. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to paralyze the target. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it is paralyzed until the end of your next turn.

Shadows Aid. When you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this Supernatural Attack before or after making the attack roll, but before any effects of the attack are applied.

Shadow Counter. When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction and expend one
superiority die to make a melee weapon attack against the creature. If you hit, you add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Shadow Defense. When another creature damages you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction and expend one
superiority die to reduce the damage by the number you roll on your superiority die + your Charisma modifier.

Shadow Disarm. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it’s holding. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it drops the object you choose. The object lands at its feet.

Shadow Distraction. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to distract the creature, giving your allies an opening. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll. The next attack roll against the target by an attacker other than you has advantage if the attack is made before the start of your next turn.

Shadow Feint. You can expend one superiority die and use a bonus action on your turn to feint, choosing one creature within 5 feet of you as your target. You have advantage on your next attack roll against that creature. If that attack hits, add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll.

Shadow Step. When you move, you can expend one superiority die, rolling the die and adding the number rolled to your AC until you stop moving.

Shadow Strike. When striking an opponent, you may instead decide to attack his shadow. Expend one superiority die, and if you successfully hit with the attack your hit is a critical hit.

Shadow Stun. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to stun the target. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it is stunned until the end of your next turn.

Shadow Trip. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to knock the target down. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, you knock the target prone.

Shadowy Terror. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to frighten the target. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it is frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

Shadow Unleashed. Your shadow attacks in your place. Expend a superiority die, and your opponent takes 2d6 + your Charisma modifier necrotic damage, and has his Strength score reduced by 1d4 until he has a short or long rest. If repeated use of this attack reduces your opponents Str score to 0, he dies.

Toxic Shadow. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to poison the target. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it is poisoned until the end of your next turn.

Bhu
2016-07-01, 04:18 PM
Accursed
You are a solitary figure, never fitting in well with society or even outlaws. Everyone knows you're either cursed, are hated by the Gods, or have some other unique supernatural problem that means being in your vicinity is dangerous. In short no one really knows you, and no one wants to.

Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Stealth
Languages: Two of your choice
Equipment: Map case with a map of your choice, a set of dark common clothes including a hood, and a belt pouch containing 15 gp

Feature: Frequent Traveler
Being forced to constantly be on the run means you gain a certain knowledge. You know who the secret movers and shakers are in specific cities or countries, and which ones to avoid. You know where to find places you can gain food and lodging without anyone knowing of your presence.

Suggested Characteristics
You are shaped by whatever event gave you your powers, as well as whoever wants to (mis)use them. Much of your life has spent spent wandering in order to avoid capture, persecution, or the fallout from your own actions. On the plus side your troubles tend to make you more accepting of the odd things in life, which will make you somewhat better be prepared for the life of an adventurer.

d8 Personality Trait

1 I try to plan ahead after a lifetime of things always going belly up.
2 I try to remain calm, but I inevitably lose my temper and reinforce my bad reputation.
3 I see trouble everywhere. Is that hooded man at the bar a mere traveler, or the latest in a long line of hired killers?
4 Being constantly a step away from death has made me too willing to embrace risk.
5 I compulsively lie about nearly everything, just in case.
6 I am intolerant of religions. As the creators of this world the Gods are responsible for all ills within it.
7 I have become emotionally numb, and I am callous to the trail of destruction I leave in my path.
8 I've spent so long on the run my social skills are underdeveloped.

d6 Ideal

1 Independence. I always try to ensure I am self-sufficient and don't need to rely on anyone (Chaotic).
2 Freedom. Tyrants and bullies are meant to be deposed and buried, it's what they're there for (Chaotic).
3 Loyalty. Never betray an ally, they're to rare to toss aside (Good).
4 Pragmatism. I may kill a lot of people, but they're all deserving, and their death makes the world a better place to live in (Neutral).
5 Might. If ever I get the opportunity to be the man in charge, then all of my enemies go in the ground (Evil).
6 Misanthropy. After decades of being beaten down you want revenge on existence itself (Evil).

d6 Bond

1 A moment of indiscretion on my part caused the deaths of many, and I have been fleeing the repercussions ever since.
2 I will someday get revenge on the long list of people I consider responsible for my own personal hell on earth.
3 I don't know how I came by my powers, or who keeps tying to enslave me because of them, but I damn sure intend to find out.
4 I want enough power that I am no longer required to be on the run.
5 I am in hiding from my family who bargained for the power I possess in order to use me as a weapon.
6 I'm told I may one day be responsible for the destruction of the world. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that.

d6 Flaw

1 My default assumption is that people I meet mean me harm.
2 I have no conversational filter, and speak in an insulting manner without realizing it.
3 I will do whatever is necessary to end my misfortune, even if it includes wholesale slaughter.
4 Revenge is mandatory.
5 I support pre-emptively killing enemies before they get the chance to harm me, and I try never to leave an enemy alive.
6 My default plan for when things go bad is to just disappear.

Backlash
1st-Levle Abjuration)
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a small silver armor)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 Minute

Until the spell ends, any creature targeting you with an attack or spell must first make a Wisdom saving throw. If he fails he is Stunned until the end of your next turn. If he succeeds your spell ends.

At Higher Levels: When cast from a 2nd level spell slot or higher, the spell does not end when the target succeeds on its saving throw.

Cursed Sword
4th-Level Necromancy
Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Range: Self
Components: V

The next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during this spell’s duration, your weapon pierces both body and soul, and the attack deals an extra 4d6 necrotic damage to the target. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks, and can’t take reactions, until the end of its next turn.

Shadow Double
1st-Level Illusion
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 30 ft.
Components: V, S

You can create an illusory double of yourself within the spells range. On your turn you can choose to move and attack, or choose to move the double and attack with it (it's attacks are identical to yours). You cannot cast spells through the double. After it first attacks, the opponent can make a Wisdom Save to disbelieve it's existence, and if he succeeds the spell ends. The double can only move within the range of the spell or attack, it takes no other Actions. If the double is attacked, the attacker can make a Wisdom saving throw to disbelieve, and the spell ends.

Empowered Curse
Your Curse is more powerful than usual (or you gain the ability to use Curse).

You learn one cantrip from the Hexblade spell list. Charisma is your spellcasting modifier for the cantrip.
You gain the Curse ability of the Hexblade class. You may use it once per long rest (this use is added to any other uses of the Curse ability you have).
When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to Curse the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack.

Bhu
2016-07-04, 06:36 PM
No comments anyone?

JNAProductions
2016-07-04, 06:46 PM
Curse is too powerful. It's a Save or Suck, basically.

blackwind1kaze
2016-07-04, 08:28 PM
so for curse, i think it should be closer to the following:

same DC and effect. however, the Disadvantage lasts for a number of rounds equal to half of your Hexblade level (rounded up, minimum 1). EDIT: this disadvantage should last until the end of the Hexblade's turn when that round timer is up.

This would allow by level 19/20 to have it last for 1 minute.

Amechra
2016-07-04, 09:58 PM
Maybe Curse could follow the same progression, but the effects are replaced by those of Hex?

Mr.Moron
2016-07-05, 02:38 AM
First thought: You have dead level at 11th.