PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Arthur Dayne of GoT Built into a D&D Character (3.5)

Ninebalthazaar
2016-07-01, 04:19 PM
I'm back again, this time I was wondering if the Dragon Magazine {307} had Dayne included on the stats? if not could you help with a
Build that would fit Arthur Dayne? More so in his fighting styles and such, I'd be using him starting from level 1. Anything goes. Thanks guys!

Troacctid
2016-07-01, 04:55 PM
Dragon #307 only has characters who were alive as of A Storm of Swords.

Here are the characters with full statblocks:
Jon Snow (Fighter 2/Ranger 3/Ranger of the Night's Watch 2)
Melisandre (Cleric 9)
Tyrion Lannister (Aristocrat 6/Fighter 5)
Sandor Clegane (Fighter 14)
Stannis Baratheon (Paladin 10)
Daenerys Targaryen (Sorcerer 6)

And here are the characters with only build stubs:
Bran Stark (Druid 1/Aristocrat 1)
Jojen Reed (Druid 3)
Meera Reed (Ranger 2)
Cersei Lannister (Aristocrat 12)
Jaime Lannister (Fighter 16)
Gregor Clegane (Fighter 13)
Walder Frey (Aristocrat 4/Fighter 4)
Olenna Tyrell (Aristocrat 7/Rogue 5)
Addam Marbrand (Fighter 8)
Davos Seaworth (Rogue 7)
Salladhor Saan (Fighter 5/Rogue 5)
Daario Naharis (Fighter 8)
Barristan Selmy (Fighter 18)
Euron Greyjoy (Barbarian 7/Fighter 5)
Victarion Greyjoy (Fighter 8)
Aeron Damphair (Cleric 9)
Sansa Stark (Aristocrat 1)
Arya Stark (Fighter 1)
Brienne of Tarth (Fighter 16)
Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish (Aristocrat 2/Rogue 5)
Beric Dondarrion (Paladin 4)
Thoros of Myr (Cleric 5)

And nonhuman creatures and their monster equivalents:
Direwolf (dire wolf)
Mammoth (dire elephant)
Shadowcat (dire lion)
Dragon (young red dragon)
Wight (wight, but with regeneration 8/fire and vulnerability to fire)
Do you want Arthur Dayne from the books, or Arthur Dayne from the show? They obviously have very different fighting styles.

Seppo87
2016-07-01, 05:00 PM
>arya not a swashbuckler/rogue

Ninebalthazaar
2016-07-01, 05:07 PM
Ah sorry, I never got that issue. Well any ideas for Arthur?

Ninebalthazaar
2016-07-01, 05:42 PM
Dragon #307 only has characters who were alive as of A Storm of Swords.

Here are the characters with full statblocks:
Jon Snow (Fighter 2/Ranger 3/Ranger of the Night's Watch 2)
Melisandre (Cleric 9)
Tyrion Lannister (Aristocrat 6/Fighter 5)
Sandor Clegane (Fighter 14)
Stannis Baratheon (Paladin 10)
Daenerys Targaryen (Sorcerer 6)

And here are the characters with only build stubs:
Bran Stark (Druid 1/Aristocrat 1)
Jojen Reed (Druid 3)
Meera Reed (Ranger 2)
Cersei Lannister (Aristocrat 12)
Jaime Lannister (Fighter 16)
Gregor Clegane (Fighter 13)
Walder Frey (Aristocrat 4/Fighter 4)
Olenna Tyrell (Aristocrat 7/Rogue 5)
Addam Marbrand (Fighter 8)
Davos Seaworth (Rogue 7)
Salladhor Saan (Fighter 5/Rogue 5)
Daario Naharis (Fighter 8)
Barristan Selmy (Fighter 18)
Euron Greyjoy (Barbarian 7/Fighter 5)
Victarion Greyjoy (Fighter 8)
Aeron Damphair (Cleric 9)
Sansa Stark (Aristocrat 1)
Arya Stark (Fighter 1)
Brienne of Tarth (Fighter 16)
Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish (Aristocrat 2/Rogue 5)
Beric Dondarrion (Paladin 4)
Thoros of Myr (Cleric 5)

And nonhuman creatures and their monster equivalents:
Direwolf (dire wolf)
Mammoth (dire elephant)
Shadowcat (dire lion)
Dragon (young red dragon)
Wight (wight, but with regeneration 8/fire and vulnerability to fire)
Do you want Arthur Dayne from the books, or Arthur Dayne from the show? They obviously have very different fighting styles.

obviously the one from the books, that's the best one! ;b

Troacctid
2016-07-01, 06:37 PM
We don't know much about Arthur Dayne's fighting style, but we do know he was a master swordsman who wielded Dawn, the legendary ancestral greatsword of House Dayne, said to be forged from the heart of a fallen star. He defeated the Kingswood Brotherhood by earning the trust of the smallfolk and eroding the Brotherhood's support. He rode in the infamous tourney at Harrenhal, and was unhorsed by Rhaegar Targaryen. He has a reputation as a true knight, valiant and honorable.

Based on this, if I were making an Arthur Dayne NPC, I would probably stat him as a Fighter like his Kingsguard brethren, but using the Thane variant from Dragon #323 to get Diplomacy as a class skill. I'd also make Dawn a custom legendary weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/legendaryWeapons.htm) and give him levels in Battle Scion. (No, I would not make it a weapon of legacy. Legacy weapon rules suck.)

If I were playing him as a PC, I would use Crusader instead of Fighter (using the suggested adaptation to be devoted to the Kingsguard oath rather than an alignment or deity), because I think it's a more fun class to play.

Gildedragon
2016-07-01, 07:07 PM
Dayne: probably fighter with the ancestral weapon
Anything that let's them use a one handed weapon as a light weapon while TWF

Sword of the morning is a starmetal longsword

Troacctid
2016-07-01, 07:48 PM
Sword of the morning is a starmetal longsword
Dawn is canonically a greatsword. It would be wielded two-handed.

Gildedragon
2016-07-01, 07:54 PM

My bad. Still thinking about his battle in the show where he wielded it one handed while TWF ing with a sword of comparable length

AslanCross
2016-07-01, 08:03 PM
Dayne could be a Warder (Zweihander Sentinel archetype) if you're using PF PoW. Warblade if you have ToB. If not, Knight from PHB2.

Wow, Jaime's a Lv 16 Fighter? Sandor Clegane's one level higher than his brother? o_O (Gregor had more open battle experience)

Gildedragon
2016-07-01, 08:12 PM
Gregor's got a +1 LA race: Half Giant or Goliath

Troacctid
2016-07-01, 08:13 PM
Wow, Jaime's a Lv 16 Fighter? Sandor Clegane's one level higher than his brother? o_O (Gregor had more open battle experience)
Sure. Jaime is supposed to be one of the most skilled swordsmen in the Seven Kingdoms, so it makes sense that he'd be pretty high-level. And Sandor is definitely a more skilled fighter than Gregor, even if his Strength score might not be as high

Arya as a fighter makes sense too. A lot of fighters are fencers. There's even a variant fighter called "fencer." Presumably she takes rogue levels later on, of course, but she's pretty low-level, so she might not be there yet at that point in the books.

For me, the only really surprising ones are Walder Frey and Tyrion Lannister having fighter levels, and Daenerys being a spellcaster.

AslanCross
2016-07-02, 02:03 AM
Sure. Jaime is supposed to be one of the most skilled swordsmen in the Seven Kingdoms, so it makes sense that he'd be pretty high-level. And Sandor is definitely a more skilled fighter than Gregor, even if his Strength score might not be as high

Arya as a fighter makes sense too. A lot of fighters are fencers. There's even a variant fighter called "fencer." Presumably she takes rogue levels later on, of course, but she's pretty low-level, so she might not be there yet at that point in the books.

For me, the only really surprising ones are Walder Frey and Tyrion Lannister having fighter levels, and Daenerys being a spellcaster.

Well, true. Sandor did stop a raging Gregor at the tourney.

And yeah I don't think Walder Frey would have any levels in combat classes, especially with his reputation. Tyrion would probably have rogue levels instead of Fighter. He barely even fought in the Battle of Blackwater.

bjoern
2016-07-04, 09:03 AM

One could argue that his great sword was simply just a longsword that was great....and thus a great sword.

DarkEternal
2016-07-05, 07:53 AM
How is Barristan Selmy not a paladin. If ever there was a character that can fit the paladin code of conduct in a setting where everyone is a douchebag of massive proportions, it is the painter that only uses red (Book Stannis would also fit a more rigid paladin variant, perhaps even the elder Tarly, though both Stannis and Selmy were taken behind the barn and shot in the tv versions character wise).

Psyren
2016-07-05, 09:17 AM

My bad. Still thinking about his battle in the show where he wielded it one handed while TWF ing with a sword of comparable length

One could argue that his great sword was simply just a longsword that was great....and thus a great sword.

It could just be a bastard sword, and he with EWP. That would give it the right size but also let him 1H it.