PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Awesomely Expanded Alchemy!

Blackhawk748
2016-07-01, 06:35 PM
I've always been a bit annoyed with Alchemy in 3.5, mostly cuz there isnt much of a reason to use it, except to have easy access to Acid, if you need it for some strange reason. To this end i am adding a few extra bits to the Craft Alchemy section and maybe a feat or two.

Errata: Remove the requirement in the PHB about needing to be a Spellcaster to craft those things.

Craft: Alchemy
Alchemy is different from other Craft skills. Unlike most other crafting Alchemy generally only creates a small amount of a given substance. As such do not convert the item costs to SP when crafting.

Special
Increase potency: By adding +5 to the DC and increasing its total cost by half, you may add an additional dice, of the appropriate type, to an offensive alchemical item. Example: By increasing the DC to 25 and the cost to 30 gp an alchemist can increase the damage of an Alchemists Fire to 2d6.

Feats:

Alchemical Potions
Requires: Craft (Alchemy) 6 ranks
Benefit: You can craft Alchemical potions of the following spells, using the normal Potion Making rules

1.Lesser Vigor
2.Endure Elements
3.Remove Fear
4.Longstrider
5.Pass Without Trace
6.Animal Power
7.Rage

Special: These potions are Ex and their caster level is equal to half your HD.

Potion Drinker by SkipSandwich
Requires: BAB 6+, Con 13

As a full-round action, you may draw and consume 2 potions that you have ready on your person and benefit from both.

Special: You gain the ability to drink additional potions as your BAB increases, you can drink 3 potions in a single round once your BAB reaches +11, and 4 potions at +16. At the character's option, they may also chug down multiple potion-sized doses of other liquids in a single round with this feat, such as flasks water or wine, but they receive no particular mechanical benefit for doing so.

rel
2016-07-05, 02:42 AM
It might be a good idea to break alchemy away from the craft skill as it was in 3.0. That lets you modify the rules without interefering with the craft system.

Other factors you might want to be able to modify like damage dice:

duration
DC
static effects e.g. +x, -x, x damage
range
application time

some way to prevent the easy boosting of skill checks in 3.x would be a good idea

Ursus Spelaeus
2016-07-05, 02:48 AM
I like the increase potency thing. Didn't 3.5 also have rules for armor and weapon add-ons in Dragon magazine?
It would be cool to have a list of special alchemy options so you can really customize your brews.

Blackhawk748
2016-07-09, 05:36 PM
I like the increase potency thing. Didn't 3.5 also have rules for armor and weapon add-ons in Dragon magazine?
It would be cool to have a list of special alchemy options so you can really customize your brews.

Im not sure but i know that Complete Adventurer added Alchemical Weapon capsules.

It might be a good idea to break alchemy away from the craft skill as it was in 3.0. That lets you modify the rules without interefering with the craft system.

That sounds like a great idea, but im not sure how one would do that.

Other factors you might want to be able to modify like damage dice:

duration
DC
static effects e.g. +x, -x, x damage
range
application time

These are all good ideas and ill see what i can come up with

some way to prevent the easy boosting of skill checks in 3.x would be a good idea

While i agree in general, Alchemy tends to be on the higher side DC wise (i mean Sunrods are a 25 base) so you almost have to play the ramp up game in order to keep your alchemy actually viable.

Now that i typed that, that just seems kinda dumb, and so i need to make a new Alchemy crafting system.