PDA

View Full Version : Snarl THE GREAT SOUL DESTOYER! - Fact or Fancy?

Admiral_Kelly
2007-07-01, 02:38 PM
Please show me exactly where it says that the Snarl eats souls or whatever. I don't recall ever reading that.

jamroar
2007-07-01, 02:40 PM
Please show me exactly where it says that the Snarl eats souls or whatever.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0274.html

Assuming that the Secret Lore of the Sapphire Guard is literally true and accurate, of course.

Admiral_Kelly
2007-07-01, 02:46 PM
Actually, I think this is a misinterpretation on the reader's part.

"It rained bloody armageddon down on the world, devouring each and every soul"

This dose not necessarily mean he literally devoured souls due to it's context; in this case I think he's saying "everyone was killed" like saying "that poor soul who died yesterday". It's a figure of speech; not an actual fact about the nature of the Snarl.

Morty
2007-07-01, 02:46 PM
Giant in response to the "Why didn't Soon just raise his wife" question said that Snarl devours souls, so its victims can't be ressurected.
EDIT: Yep, here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6258&highlight=devours)

BardicLasher
2007-07-01, 03:14 PM
MORE IMPORTANTLY, Start of Darkness, page 48, it is specifically stated "the Snarl destroys the souls of all those it kills."

Admiral_Kelly
2007-07-01, 03:19 PM
Okay, that clears that up then. I was skeptical since it is never specifically stated in the comic and fans could have just thought this up as an explanation for why Soon couldn't revive his wife (I personally find this unnecessary; no explanation is needed).

Aquillion
2007-07-01, 11:27 PM
Okay, that clears that up then. I was skeptical since it is never specifically stated in the comic and fans could have just thought this up as an explanation for why Soon couldn't revive his wife (I personally find this unnecessary; no explanation is needed).Um, why do you find it unnecessary? Easy, totally reliable access to resurrection as long as you have the cash is one of the central parts of the D&D universe. Soon could bring her back at any point over the next 130 years, easy, assuming he can grab a bit of cash and a 13th level caster willing to spend 10 minutes casting Resurrection. This has been brought up repeatedly as a plot point in OotS, so of course it would seem odd if there wasn't an explaination this time (just like an explaination was provided for why Shojo wasn't quickly zotted back to life).

In fact, a druid, presumably capable of casting Reincarnate, wandered onto the scene within one panel of his wife's death, while he's still greaving over her body.

DSCrankshaw
2007-07-02, 12:10 AM
In fact, a druid, presumably capable of casting Reincarnate, wandered onto the scene within one panel of his wife's death, while he's still greaving over her body.
Reincarnate is a messy spell. I could definitely see why that wouldn't be seen as an option, at least not if he thought there were a high level cleric nearby.

On another hand, it does return the dead character into a young adult body, so I could see it as a solution for the whole dying of old age problem. Granted, it can't bring back a character who has died of old age, but I don't see anything in the description that would prevent bringing back an old character who had died of another cause and letting him start over in a new body as a young adult.

Grim Oswald
2007-07-02, 12:42 AM
[What You Said]

More importantly, put that in spoilers, we don't all have SoD yet. (Namely me) :smallfrown: Only my lightning fast reflexes saved my poor eyes. :smallwink:

Chronos
2007-07-02, 12:37 PM
Uh, Grim Oswald, what he posted wasn't a spoiler, just an in-continuity confirmation of information the Giant has already given out-of-continuity. About the only thing it spoils is that the Snarl is mentioned somewhere in Start of Darkness, and we should all have been able to figure that out already (since Xykon and Redcloak have already attempted one of the Gates before the main story opens).

Admiral_Kelly
2007-07-02, 08:16 PM
Um, why do you find it unnecessary?Simply put, it is beyond the scope of the story and everyone knows people stay dead when it is necessary for the plot and vice-versa. Explanations for things related to thirdly charachters are unnecessary in my opinion.

Grim Oswald
2007-07-02, 09:47 PM
Uh, Grim Oswald, what he posted wasn't a spoiler, just an in-continuity confirmation of information the Giant has already given out-of-continuity. About the only thing it spoils is that the Snarl is mentioned somewhere in Start of Darkness, and we should all have been able to figure that out already (since Xykon and Redcloak have already attempted one of the Gates before the main story opens).

Oh, fair enough, I didn't actually read past the beginning because it sounded very much like it was going to be a spoiler. My bad though. :smallsmile: