PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Which is More Valuable--1d6 or a Feat?

Mars Ultor
2016-07-01, 11:35 PM
I'm currently playing a 2nd level Rogue/4th level Fighter in a 3.5 game. We can't buy more than basic magic items. Neither alternate class features or non-PHB classes are allowed.

I'm about to go to 7th level and I'm not sure whether I should go up as a Rogue or a Fighter. Both give me a +1 to Base Attack Bonus. If I choose Rogue, my benefits are the increased number of skill points and an additional +1d6 to Sneak Attack damage (2d6 total). Since my party often flanks I currently get the 1d6 reasonably often.

If I choose Fighter, I get the greater hit point potential and I'm one level closer to another Feat. Our Feat selection is pretty broad, I've currently got Knowledge, Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Knock-Down, Improved Bull Rush. My intention is to take Shock Trooper with my next Feat.

So that's my question: Is it more advantageous to take a level of Rogue and get +1d6 to damage, and wait two more levels for another Feat, or to take a level of Fighter and wait one more level for another Feat?

Gildedragon
2016-07-01, 11:56 PM
Feat: feat can be martial study
BUT 1d6 + skills or Feat
Maybe take the skills

Mystral
2016-07-02, 12:42 AM
I'm currently playing a 2nd level Rogue/4th level Fighter in a 3.5 game. We can't buy more than basic magic items. Neither alternate class features or non-PHB classes are allowed.

I'm about to go to 7th level and I'm not sure whether I should go up as a Rogue or a Fighter. Both give me a +1 to Base Attack Bonus. If I choose Rogue, my benefits are the increased number of skill points and an additional +1d6 to Sneak Attack damage (2d6 total). Since my party often flanks I currently get the 1d6 reasonably often.

If I choose Fighter, I get the greater hit point potential and I'm one level closer to another Feat. Our Feat selection is pretty broad, I've currently got Knowledge, Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Knock-Down, Improved Bull Rush. My intention is to take Shock Trooper with my next Feat.

So that's my question: Is it more advantageous to take a level of Rogue and get +1d6 to damage, and wait two more levels for another Feat, or to take a level of Fighter and wait one more level for another Feat?
Stay with rogue. Most people would say that any level on fighter above level 4 (when you qualify for weapon spec.) is wasted. Many people would say that any level on fighter is wasted, period.

You should have enough feats right now as it is. In a core only game, there are only so many feats you can take.

Troacctid
2016-07-02, 02:46 AM
There's no need to take any more levels of fighter than you have now. Just stick with rogue. The extra skill points and sneak attack are definitely better than the nothing you get from fighter 5.

Inevitability
2016-07-02, 04:17 AM
You're not exchanging one level for a feat, you're exchanging one level for the ability to take a feat next level. That's definitely not worth it.

Alternatively, look at it this way:

If you first take a level in rogue and then two in fighter (which I don't recommend doing), you'll be able to use the sneak attack for all three of those levels, and the feat for one of them.

7: SA
8: SA
9: SA + Feat

If you instead take two levels of fighter first (an even worse idea) then go rogue, you'll be able to use the feat for two levels and the sneak attack for one.

7: -
8: Feat
9: SA + Feat

Unless two levels of sneak attack are worth using the feat one level sooner to you, don't take fighter levels now.

By the way, consider taking Craven at 9th-level. It's great.

OldTrees1
2016-07-02, 10:23 AM
It depends on your sources. Generally a Feat is better until you run out of the best feats. Afterwards the skillpoints from Rogue are better. The only exception is there are some nice abilities that require a minimum of +1d6 Sneak Attack (Ex Staggering Strike feat, or Scarlet Corsair prestige class).

Based upon your sources (extrapolated from your feats) I think you are best off grabbing 1d6 Sneak Attack if you want Staggering Strike but otherwise stick mainly to feats with the occasional (every 3 levels?) dip in Rogue for skill points (leap frogging some otherwise cross class skills).

Pugwampy
2016-07-02, 11:30 AM
You dont just get a feat by burning a 1 level of Fighter .

You get 1 Feat
1D10 hitpoints
Access to all martial weapons
all armour
all shields

I am sure your rogue gets more then just an extra 1d6 sneak attack damage but I doubt its equal to all that .

Sadly all that means you will be a slightly tougher rogue and not frontline material . I doubt you will make use of anything better then light armour . But you might play with a nice weapon and shield or big weapon I imagine .
Sneak Attack with great Axe thats a plus 1D12 added your sneak damage.

GrayDeath
2016-07-02, 12:51 PM
He already is a Fighter L4, so why are you listing the advantages of a mLevel 1 Fighter Dip? :smallconfused:

In these circumstances I`ll go with the flow and say Rogue. ;)

Pugwampy
2016-07-02, 02:22 PM
Sorry i missed that .

sleepyphoenixx
2016-07-02, 02:37 PM
The only reason to take more than 2 levels of fighter are ACFs. Since they're not allowed take more rogue levels.

prufock
2016-07-02, 06:33 PM
Rogue benefits:
+1 fort and will
4 extra skill points
+1d6 sneak attack

Fighter benefits:
average 2 more HP
half a feat (because you need to wait until next level)

Rogue hands down. Even when you take another level of fighter for that eventual feat (and 2 extra HP!), rogue is getting uncanny dodge.