PDA

View Full Version : Bane/Bestow Curse and Warlocks?

zeek0
2016-07-02, 01:56 AM
I'm looking into the reason why Bane and Bestow Curse are not on the Warlock spell list, despite them being thematic with the class.

There are some spells which, if placed on the warlock spell list, cause balance problems - you would be able to cast them more times than reasonable in a single day (e.g., Animate Dead).

However, Bane and Bestow Curse don't seem to fit this mold. Why restrict them to invocations, where they can only be cast 1/day?

Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!

Kane0
2016-07-02, 05:19 AM
There should be no problem with bane, but Bestow Curse could end up being spammed at later levels with its extended/permanent duration

Edit: actually not even then since it maxes out at 8 hours without concentration because of the inability to use arcanums as higher level spell slots

So yeah, should be fine.

shuangwucanada
2016-07-02, 06:24 AM
They are invocations man

zeek0
2016-07-02, 08:38 AM
They are invocations man

Of course. The question is, why are they invocations instead of on the spell list?

MrStabby
2016-07-02, 09:19 AM
Of course. The question is, why are they invocations instead of on the spell list?

They had space in the book to fill out. Taking them from one line is a list to a separate invocation enabled them to make their page quota.

I agree that thematically they should be on the list and it doesn't seem a big issue. Even bestow curse is still using a significant proportion of your resources - is it really better than a different 5th level spell you could cast?

Others, like polymorph I can understand being limited but these two seem so much on the main theme of the class that it does seem odd.