PDA

View Full Version : What would you play to round out this party?

Klorox
2016-07-02, 12:34 PM
Current party includes (level 4):

Rogue (I think it's an assassin or thief)
Warlock (tome, GOO)
Moon druid - outlander background
Draconic sorcerer/ land druid

I'm thinking a fighter, possibly eldritch knight or paladin covers the biggest holes in the party makeup.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-07-02, 12:40 PM
Paladin or Barbarian. Party desperately needs a tank in front to absorb damage, although I imagine the Moon Druid is doing a bit of that with Wild Shape.

Addaran
2016-07-02, 12:42 PM
Paladin is probably the best bet. Seems to be missing some melee and there's no "divine" caster in the groupe, just arcane and "nature" ones.

Connington
2016-07-02, 12:50 PM
I'd definitely go Paladin. Get your AC high, drop a Bless at the start of Combat, and then start wailing on the bad guys.

Axorfett12
2016-07-02, 12:52 PM
Well the moon druid can tank, but a second tank wouldn't hurt. You seem to have all the spellcasting you could want, and scouting is ok. My recommendation would be a bearbarian or a paladin. You can tank with the best of them, and provide scouting potential with barbarian or healing with the paladin. A fun option could be a variant human beast master ranger with a giant crab. Take medium armor master or sentinel. You are a stealthy tank with a battlefield control companion. You can heal with cure wounds, control with entangle, and you have exploration down pat. Don't forget to give the crab barding. Thats my two cents.

Plaguescarred
2016-07-02, 12:55 PM
A good tankish Bearbarian would round it up well IMO.

pwykersotz
2016-07-02, 12:59 PM
I jumped in to add Paladin, and it appears it's already a popular choice. :smallwink:

Farecry
2016-07-02, 01:25 PM
Maybe something with a bit of healing to it.

Waffle_Iron
2016-07-02, 01:40 PM
Paladin is probably the best bet. Seems to be missing some melee and there's no "divine" caster in the groupe, just arcane and "nature" ones.

Variant Human, Sentinel, Ancient Paladin

You'll provide defense, tank and spank per normal paladin SOP, and sentinel lets you play well with the rogue.

Klorox
2016-07-02, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all the paladin suggestions. I am glad since that was one of the options I was considering anyway.

I'm having trouble deciding which I like best. It's seems like OotA fits the nature theme, Vengeance dishes out a lot of damage, and Devotion is just your classic paladin. I lean towards Ancients and Vengeance just because I absolutely love Misty Step.

I haven't actually seen a 5e paladin in action. Is my analysis close? Are any of the oaths "better" than the others?
Variant Human, Sentinel, Ancient Paladin

You'll provide defense, tank and spank per normal paladin SOP, and sentinel lets you play well with the rogue.

What's SOP?

pwykersotz
2016-07-02, 04:43 PM
What's SOP?

Standard Operating Procedure

Connington
2016-07-02, 05:07 PM
I haven't actually seen a 5e paladin in action. Is my analysis close? Are any of the oaths "better" than the others?

There are a couple (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?375696-Good-is-Not-Nice-A-Paladin-s-Guide) of paladin guides (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?474035-GUIDE-My-Word-Is-My-Sword-The-Paladin-Guide) out there, but to make the long story short:

All of the oaths are fun and powerful. Vengeance gets the best spells and auto-Advantage against the boss for one minute is tasty. Ancients gives the Paladin and nearby allies resistance against spell damage, which is excellent. And for what it's worth, Devotion makes you and your close allies immune to charms, and Sacred Weapon is just fun, especially at low levels.

Axorfett12
2016-07-02, 05:16 PM
If you or someone you know has access to the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, there is also the Oath of the Crown. A classic knightly paladin, they get excellent taunting and healing abilities, and some good spells like Banishment and Spirit Guardians.

Klorox
2016-07-02, 06:02 PM
If you or someone you know has access to the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, there is also the Oath of the Crown. A classic knightly paladin, they get excellent taunting and healing abilities, and some good spells like Banishment and Spirit Guardians.

I own it, but never really checked it out. I'll give it a look-see and see how it compares to the others.

Socratov
2016-07-02, 06:24 PM
What you need, my friend, is a medic that can wade into the frontline, wreak havoc and if neccessary kick those unconscious punters right back up.

I recommend a War Cleric. Can he heal, yes. Can he wade into melee and smack those kill happy faces of the enemy? Sure as hell yeah!

Drackolus
2016-07-02, 06:56 PM
If you go for cleric, arcana is good too. I like warlocks, but they are not wizards. Arcana gets the best of both worlds. Life is also sturdy, and since they need less spells to heal with, you've got more spells to play with for other things.

Really though, that group is balanced already, so you're pretty good for whatever. True however that a moon druid can't tank EVERY combat.

Klorox
2016-07-02, 07:04 PM
If you go for cleric, arcana is good too. I like warlocks, but they are not wizards. Arcana gets the best of both worlds. Life is also sturdy, and since they need less spells to heal with, you've got more spells to play with for other things.

Really though, that group is balanced already, so you're pretty good for whatever. True however that a moon druid can't tank EVERY combat.
I forgot about the Arcana cleric! I played one briefly (I think he reached 2nd level but I never played him after that). Lots of fun!

Drackolus
2016-07-02, 07:13 PM
I forgot about the Arcana cleric! I played one briefly (I think he reached 2nd level but I never played him after that). Lots of fun!

I have a water genasi coast druid/arcana cleric and am picking up m.initate:wizard and ritual caster:wizard. I have a reflavored fire bolt from the arcana side as a water bolt and I took minor illusion on it to ensure it was wis, then grabbed all the utility cantrips I could. A zillion spells known of various types. She's fun as heck. Suprisingly useful, as long as I'm creative.

RickAllison
2016-07-02, 07:50 PM
If UA is allowed, Artificer 2 or more, perhaps multiclassed with cleric or an Eldritch Knight, could be a great boon. Potions of Invisibility will let you aid your rogue on stealth missions from afar, while Potions of Growth will aid both your attacks and the Druids, while also allowing you and he to grapple/shove on larger creatures. Best of all, none of those are dependent on Intelligence or concentration!

Eriol
2016-07-02, 09:56 PM
I'd say utility casting it weak-ish because you only have the sorcerer for that, and that's not as great as it could be. Maybe the Tome Warlock is filling that hole with rituals to a degree?

If you don't want a wizard for that role, then I'd either say a Bard (Lore), or go with the prior Cleric suggestions for a full caster with more versatility than a sorcerer day-to-day. I'd say that the Moon Druid fulfills most of the tanking requirements (not as good as pally/fighter, but still pretty decent) and so go elsewhere IMO.

Herobizkit
2016-07-03, 05:19 AM
Thematically, an Ancients Paladin will fit in extremely well with the group, being all nature-y and such.
Mechanically, Vengeance is your most direct damage dealer while Devotion is your most defensive choice.

In that group, I'd likely play a v-Human Nature Paladin with Shillelagh, Sentinel and Polearm Master shenanigans.

* Shillelagh lets you fight with Wisdom and have a one-handed d8 magic weapon. Means you can use a shield if you want.
* If you use a staff with two hands, Polearm Master lets you fight as if you had two weapons, doing d8/d4.

* If you want to use a Polearm with reach, you get even more interesting control options.

djreynolds
2016-07-03, 05:56 AM
Thematically, an Ancients Paladin will fit in extremely well with the group, being all nature-y and such.
Mechanically, Vengeance is your most direct damage dealer while Devotion is your most defensive choice.

In that group, I'd likely play a v-Human Nature Paladin with Shillelagh, Sentinel and Polearm Master shenanigans.

* Shillelagh lets you fight with Wisdom and have a one-handed d8 magic weapon. Means you can use a shield if you want.
* If you use a staff with two hands, Polearm Master lets you fight as if you had two weapons, doing d8/d4.

* If you want to use a Polearm with reach, you get even more interesting control options.

Heavy armor costs a strength of 15, unless you select a dwarf, and hill dwarf is especially good as you can dump strength to 10 and leave dex at an 8, and max out charisma and wisdom and con. This could work and every party needs a dwarf. You can't multiclass with a 10 in strength, but you're a paladin so you're fine.

Slipperychicken
2016-07-03, 11:33 AM
I'd play a life cleric and encourage the moon druid to be tanky dps via wildshape or conjured animals. This party looks like it can do a good amount of damage, so they'll need healing. A life cleric can also start with an AC of 18, and has a d8 hit die, so you could also take a hit or two, although you want to stay standing to heal people.