PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Action for a mounted character to store a greatspear and draw a harpoon

sage20500
2016-07-02, 03:36 PM
I'm currently playing a Paladin of Tyranny that uses a greatspear with short haft as his main method of attacking. However the DM has recently introduced a homebrew monster (He's running a DMC themed campaign and is obsessed with trying to transfer over every single enemy from the game into a D&D version) which has an ability that essentially gives them 2 forms. In the base form they can only be damaged by ranged attacks, attacking them with a melee strike does nothing except possibly cause them to split in half, but after they've been damaged once by a ranged attack, they instead turn into a stone form where they can only be damaged by melee strikes. My main weapon I'm can not be enhanced any further since it counts as a legacy weapon, so slapping returning on it is moot point, and its overall more effective for me to just carry around a couple of javelins instead of messing with a crystal of returning (Less expensive and I get +20ft of range before I start having to take penalties to accuracy)

So now here's my main issue with what i'm trying to figure out. I've never played a golf bag type of character before. For someone who is mounted, what would the action be to set a greatspear to the side in order to draw and chuck a harpoon before picking said greatspear back up again? (If I have to invest in a least crystal of returning on the greatspear I can swing that because I'm currently unable to fit in snagging quickdraw as a feat. I'm currently level 6 with +6 BaB

Darrin
2016-07-02, 04:17 PM
Sheathing or stowing a weapon is a move action. Drawing a weapon is a move action, unless you have quickdraw (or the least crystal of return). If you have a spare 3600 GP, then a Glove of the Master Strategist (Ghostwalk) would help here, as you could switch weapons as a free action.

Outside of the glove, the only way I've found to quickly stow a weapon is to abuse the Sleight of Hand rules. You can *hide* a weapon with a Sleight of Hand check. You can also make a Sleight of Hand check as a free action by taking a -20 on the roll. The stupid part is it's an opposed check against an observer's Spot check. But even if you fail the roll and your opponent sees where you hid your weapon, it's still a free action.

So... Ask your DM if he'll allow that before you try that trick. You may get a laugh or get a book thrown at your head. (The downside to this trick is once the weapon is hidden, it's a move action to draw, even with Quickdraw, although you can "lift" it off yourself as a free action with a DC 40 Sleight of Hand check.)

The other bit of RAW nonsense is if your BAB is at least +1, you can combine drawing a weapon with a "normal move". However, the rules don't explicitly define what a normal move is. If sheathing a weapon is a "normal move", then you can combine that with drawing a weapon. Better ask your DM about that one, too.

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-02, 04:19 PM
Dropping a weapon is a free action.

MisterKaws
2016-07-02, 06:27 PM
You don't necessarily have to sheathe the Greatspear: just one-hand it and use your other hand to draw the Harpoon, which you can either do as a move action, or as a part of your regular movement(effectively free action). Switching from two-hand to one-hand is a free action. You'll just take penalties with Greatspear attacks while not using it with two hands, which won't be an issue, since you won't use it.

AslanCross
2016-07-02, 11:46 PM
You don't necessarily have to sheathe the Greatspear: just one-hand it and use your other hand to draw the Harpoon, which you can either do as a move action, or as a part of your regular movement(effectively free action). Switching from two-hand to one-hand is a free action. You'll just take penalties with Greatspear attacks while not using it with two hands, which won't be an issue, since you won't use it.

This. Carrying something in your hands is not the same as wielding it as a weapon. You can just carry the greatspear while drawing and throwing the javelin.

sage20500
2016-07-03, 02:10 AM

Thanks for that; I completely forgot I could do that since I used that a couple of months ago on a gestalt wizard/paladin who used a greatsword, I just wasn't thinking about it at the time when I was trying to figure out how to make current character work. Since I'm not actually full attacking ever, I can do just fine with the drawing the harpoon as a part of my move action, and then just chucking it as a standard.