PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Lovecraftian Gish Help

Buddy76
2016-07-02, 04:15 PM
I'm going to run a game where all the PCs hail from a coastal city. Now, the elders of the city have dealings with sea dwelling eldtritch horrors (water element ethergaunts that are elementals(augmented aberrations)) and some of the population have aberration blood in them (the PCs are among those).

The PCs don't know about any of that yet (and are good aligned), and the elders are sending them against other aberrations at war with the ethergaunts.

The most experienced player in the group knows that his character has aberration blood running in his veins (his character doesn't) and plans to start as a fighting class that gains arcane power either from his blood or from the otherwordly knowledge whispered to him at night by his item familiar. We were thinking about a ranger/sorcerer/impure prince (the fluff is perfect). Impure prince is just 5 levels long, however. So are there any other gish-friendly prestige classes with a lovecraftian/aberration flavor? What we came up with so far is Topaz Guardian if the character stays good or alienist (not a gish, but cool flavor) if he turns bad as the adventure progresses. We are also willing to exchange the base classes if need be. Any sugestions?

Blackhawk748
2016-07-02, 04:27 PM
Abjurant Champ is a perfect Gish class. No aberration fluff but a solid class that gives full casting and full BaB

mabriss lethe
2016-07-02, 05:02 PM
You could adapt (illithid) slayer to work with magic instead of psionics, or switch to a psionic build.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-07-02, 05:17 PM
Psychic warriors get form of doom, which gets you a bunch of tentacle attacks, Frightful Presence, and assorted stat boosts (+4 untyped strength included).

You wrench from your subconscious a terrifying visage of deadly hunger and become one with it. You are transformed into a nightmarish version of yourself, complete with an ooze-sleek skin coating, lashing tentacles, and a fright-inducing countenance.

Just a thought. If you houserule Impure Prince to work with psionics (note that it doesn't require any casting to enter), you can go with something like ranger 1/psychic warrior 5/impure prince 6/sanctified mind 6 (5/6 manifesting, full base attack, abberation hunter fluff).

Buddy76
2016-07-02, 05:44 PM
Awesome! I hand't considered psionics, I'll take those options over with my player. Form of doom sounds like a perfect fit, can't believe I didn't know this power. Thanks, guys!
If anyone else has anymore suggestions keep them coming!

MisterKaws
2016-07-02, 05:53 PM
Elan would be a nice fit for the psionic gish, and nobody would ever notice it either...