PDA

View Full Version : Druid help

Mrc.
2016-07-02, 05:06 PM
Soon I'll be starting my first session of Next ed. I've some experience with both 4th and 3.5 but due to uni commitments haven't played in a year or so, and I've decided with the DM (a good friend of mine) that it'd be fun to try druid, as he's relatively new to Next ed as well and would appreciate someone trying the class so he knows about balance issues etc.

Having glanced at the Players Handbook it seems that Land druids are more the typical spell-slingers and Moon druids focus more on Wild Form, but other than that I'm not quite sure what spells have good synergy, what monsters are good forms to take, what feats or equipment etc. I'm looking for something of a utility druid who has access to spells such as Entangle as well as damaging ones, but that's about as far as I've got. I know it's not much to go on but I would really appreciate some help outlining potential build paths and playstyles.

Thanks in advance :smallsmile:

georgie_leech
2016-07-02, 05:14 PM
There's a Druid guide floating around here somewhere, but just as a quick primer...

Most of a Druid's utility comes from relatively low CR forms and spells, so if you want to focus on utility, Land is probably the way to go. Moon is fine, but the increase in Wildshape CR has more to do with combat than utility. Druids control is, rather appropriately, about terrain control. Spells like Entangle or Spike Growth can virtually end encounters if you can find places the enemies have to go through and they lack solid ranged options. As a sneaky option, spells like Call Lightning can be Concentrated on during Wildshape, and the Action to use them isn't actually casting a spell. Hope those bandits have fun finding the one spider in amongst the trees.

JumboWheat01
2016-07-02, 09:00 PM
The guide you're thinking of is probably hymer's 5e Druid Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?397940-5e-Druid-Handbook-Land-amp-Moon). It's definitely worth a read. You could be the biggest Druid noob, but this guide will help set you right.

Mrc.
2016-07-02, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check out that guide now :smallsmile: