PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Android Barbarian, is this feasible

Dire Roc
2016-07-02, 07:57 PM
I was inspired by this blog post. (http://http://taking10.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-android-barbarian.html)

I'm thinking about building an Android Wild Rager, using Unchained Barbarian to allow me to benefit from rage bonuses, (and eliminating the worst of rage cycling cheese). I picture him as an awkward nerdy fellow who in combat goes glowing red-eyes kill everything mode.

Looking at the Wild Rager's main drawback I'm thinking Iron Will, and Nanite Surge for when I really need to make the will saves (for example to not smash the cleric).
I'm also planning on using the beast totem line for pounce and a natural weapon to build around for extra attacks early on. Superstitious archetype is to trade out minor abilities for an initiative bonus and minor abilities to make him seem scarily perceptive.

Build:
Android Unchained Monk1/Unchained Barbarian 19
Archetypes: Wild Rager, Superstitious
Traits: Trap Finder, Awakened From Stasis (for flavor/backstory reasons)
20 Point Buy
STR: 16 (2nd-5th stat increases)
DEX: 16
CON: 13 (1st stat increase)
INT: 12
WIS: 13
CHA: 7

Brb1: Iron Will
Brb2: Lesser Beast Totem
Brb3: Power Attack
Brb4: Accurate Stance?
Mnk1: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Combat Reflexes, Weapon Focus (Claw)
Brb5:
Brb6: Feral Combat Training (Claw), Beast Totem
Brb7:
Brb8: Dragon Style, Sharpened Accuracy?
Brb9:
Brb10: Dragon Ferocity, Greater Beast Totem
Brb11:
Brb12: Elemental Fist, Taunting Stance
Brb13:
Brb14:???, Bloody Fist (Because its the most metal rage power ever)
Brb15:
Brb16: ???, ???
Brb17:
Brb18: ???, ???
Brb19:

Items:
Cloak of Resistance
Ring of Deflection
Belt/Headband of Stat boosting
Magic Armor
Amulet of Mighty Fists

Deliquescent Gloves, Azata's Whimsy (possibly in magic tattoo form?)

Suggestions on items, different feats/rage powers and so on would be greatly appreciated!

the_archduke
2016-07-02, 08:13 PM
What is the point of a monk dip? Your wis is low, so it can be for wis to AC.

Dire Roc
2016-07-02, 08:42 PM
I need monk to use Feral Combat Training with flurry of blows to keep my full attack good once BAB starts to outpace natural attacks, it also opens up the prereqs for Dragon Style to boost damage output on the claws. The wisdom 13 is as a prerequisite for Elemental fist but since thats primarily flavor I might drop it down a bit, I don't want to take a penalty though due to Wild Rager's drawbacks.

Sagetim
2016-07-03, 08:44 AM
I'm not seeing anything that I recognize as improving your critical range, so...Improved Critical as a feat? Aren't there also upgrades to power attack? I can't remember if pathfinder has Improved Natural Attack, but it would be something to look into if you're going to use natural claw weapons. Alternatively, I think Path of War has a feat for improved unarmed strike damage to scale with your level a bit more after that one monk level (assuming path of war stuff is allowed).

If you're going to be ridiculous with strength anyway, you might want to invest in grappling and a pair of immovable rods. Now, you might need some crazy feat I've never heard of to pull it off, but what I'm imagining is that your rage fueled apocalypse robot would be able to grapple a target into submission with his legs, then pull out the immovable rods with his arms....and start using them to ladder his way up into the air with the target of your spite. After getting to a suitable high distance, you then let go and allow the bludgeoning damage from falling do the rest. And while you're up there you could probably dig a boulder out of a bag of holding to drop after them just in case the fall didn't do the trick.

Alternatively, you might be able to get away with using the immovable rods to pin your target against the ground while you do whatever horrible series of claw attacks per round you would have to murder them. If worse comes to worse, get one fitted with a bodkin point and stab it into your target as an improvised weapon, then hit the button to lock them painfully and brutally into place.

Drelua
2016-07-03, 08:01 PM
One problem: flurry doesn't work while you're wearing armour, so the Monk dip isn't really helping, at least not for that. Plus the two classes have conflicting alignment requirements, which makes it impossible unless you DM says otherwise. You could take an archetype that trades out flurry if you really want a monk level, Master of Many styles might be worth it. Or just take Sohei, they can actually flurry in light armour, and the only thing you lose from armour is the AC bonus, which you don't care about anyway.

Dire Roc
2016-07-04, 03:16 AM
Greater Beast Totem increases my damage and critical multiplier but I don't see any reason I can't take Improved Critical and Improved Natural weapon to turn my claws into 1d10 falcatas.

Dang, didn't think about the armor problem, the AC from Beast Totem will help but not enough, is Sohei compatible with Unchained Monk? I was planning on taking care of the alignment requirements by immediately becoming an ex-monk, hopefully before play starts if its after level 1. Then reason I was looking at Flurry of Blows with the natural attacks is so that my number of attacks can continue to scale with BAB once I get past the point that natural attacks are beneficial. Any ideas for an alternative way to keep the number of attacks high and have good AC? If I have to choose one or the other I'll go glass cannon but I'd prefer to have both. One of the things I like about this build is the ability to make three attacks at near full BAB from level 2.

Drelua
2016-07-04, 08:45 AM
Officially, Unchained Monk doesn't work with any archetypes that don't specifically say that they work. Personally, I think that's dumb, and only true because Paizo was too lazy to write rules for using older archetypes. I'd recommend asking your DM, as it stands Unchained Monk is better than a standard Monk, but with the right archetypes a standard monk gets better.

I have played a natural attacking barbarian, it can be a lot of fun at lower levels. There are ways to get more natural attacks, like playing a skinwalker or buying the right magic items, which might make flurrying unnecessary. Oh, and you'll probably want a furious amulet of mighty fists, my barbarian has onew. Since you only have the attacks when you're raging, giving them a +2 enhancement bonus whenever you're raging is a pretty good +1 ability.

Dire Roc
2016-07-05, 02:34 AM
So assuming I can get the okay on Sohei I'll have to take Stunning Fist the normal way as a prerequisite for Dragon Ferocity.

More importantly, if I add natural attacks from other sources (Wyvern Cloak, Helm of the Mammoth Lord, etc.). What will I use for calculating the attack bonuses? Will I need Multiattack? Rules for mixing natural attacks have always confused me, especially if I wanted to include weapon attacks as well.

Dayaz
2016-07-05, 04:06 AM
I'm not seeing anything that I recognize as improving your critical range, so...Improved Critical as a feat? Aren't there also upgrades to power attack? I can't remember if pathfinder has Improved Natural Attack, but it would be something to look into if you're going to use natural claw weapons. Alternatively, I think Path of War has a feat for improved unarmed strike damage to scale with your level a bit more after that one monk level (assuming path of war stuff is allowed).

If you're going to be ridiculous with strength anyway, you might want to invest in grappling and a pair of immovable rods. Now, you might need some crazy feat I've never heard of to pull it off, but what I'm imagining is that your rage fueled apocalypse robot would be able to grapple a target into submission with his legs, then pull out the immovable rods with his arms....and start using them to ladder his way up into the air with the target of your spite. After getting to a suitable high distance, you then let go and allow the bludgeoning damage from falling do the rest. And while you're up there you could probably dig a boulder out of a bag of holding to drop after them just in case the fall didn't do the trick.

Alternatively, you might be able to get away with using the immovable rods to pin your target against the ground while you do whatever horrible series of claw attacks per round you would have to murder them. If worse comes to worse, get one fitted with a bodkin point and stab it into your target as an improvised weapon, then hit the button to lock them painfully and brutally into place.

Path of War has Piranha Strike, that let's you PA with light weapons, which unarmed strikes and natural weapons are classified as.

Drelua
2016-07-05, 09:11 AM
So assuming I can get the okay on Sohei I'll have to take Stunning Fist the normal way as a prerequisite for Dragon Ferocity.

More importantly, if I add natural attacks from other sources (Wyvern Cloak, Helm of the Mammoth Lord, etc.). What will I use for calculating the attack bonuses? Will I need Multiattack? Rules for mixing natural attacks have always confused me, especially if I wanted to include weapon attacks as well.

Primary natural attacks are made at your full base attack bonus, no matter how many you have, and you can use all of them as part of a full attack. If you attack with a manufactured weapon and natural weapons in the same round, all natural attacks are treated as secondary, and therefore take a -5 penalty to-hit, or a -2 if you have Multiattack.

Vhaidara
2016-07-05, 03:41 PM
Path of War has Piranha Strike, that let's you PA with light weapons, which unarmed strikes and natural weapons are classified as.

That's not Path of War. The Dex feat PoW has is Deadly Agility, which is Dex to damage with finesse weapons.

Dire Roc
2016-07-05, 07:01 PM
Although Dex-Based would help with AC its more feats than I'd really like. Would Horn of the Criosphinx and Pounce let me add twice my strength mod to all of my attacks on a charge? In that case I might want to replace the Dragon Style chain with it. And since its twice my strength mod would Power Attack still go up to 1:3? If the answer on that is no then that might make Dex based and Piranha Strike more worthwhile.