PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Bard/Gunslinger Build Advice

SovelsAtaask
2016-07-02, 10:26 PM
Hey there, everyone, I was wondering if I could get some build advice for an idea I had. I was considering creating a ratfolk bard/gunslinger gestalt character, but I've hit a few bumps. First of all, I've never really built a bard or gunslinger before, but I'm especially confused about what to do about the gunslinger part as I've always mostly stuck to melee characters. And that's without worrying about archetypes. I was thinking maybe Mysterious Stranger for the charisma synergy, but losing Quick Clear sounds like it'll hurt until I get a way to eliminate Misfire chance. Juggler bard also looked interesting, I've heard of it being used for double pistol shenanigans, but I'm not sure what I need to make that work. I'm choosing a ratfolk mostly for the favored class bonus to initiative, but dwarf is looking tempting so I can get 0 misfire with alchemical cartridges without having to wait until I can afford Greater Reliable but dwarf bards seem weird. Any advice? Any feats, traits, bard spells, etc. that would help me out?

Geddy2112
2016-07-04, 06:58 PM
Mysterious stranger does help with the bard/gunsligner mix so you can use CHA for everything, but you are correct that losing quick clear really does hurt. At level 5 you get strangers fortune which basically eliminates the need for quick clear. The real downside of mysterious stranger is not getting dex to damage until level 9. However, you can do cha to damage off the bat so it makes up for it. It is not the end of the world if your gun jams-just have a backup plan. Another option is to go with the siege gunner archetype for gunslingers and use INT for grit, which helps with ratfolk having a +2 int.

Dwarves have a -2 cha and +2 which sucks for a bard, but they can be made to work. I would still consider going mysterious stranger even with the wis boost, as bards normally dump wis. However, you could use both wis and CHA, going bare bones and just having enough CHA to power spells and don't use spells that allow saves, just buff the party and such.

Juggler is a very strong archetype for both and dual wielding pistols if you wanna go that route.

Bard and gunslinger do totally different things-so do you wanna be a bard with a gun or a gunslinger with spells/performances?