PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [Rogue] Where next?

Rusvul
2016-07-03, 12:11 AM
I play a 3rd-level rogue in a Native American themed game. I'm in the unusual position of having lots of good options in terms of how to move my character forward.

Currently I have STR 19 (thanks to a magic item), DEX 16, CON 16, INT 11, WIS 13, and CHA 13. I am a vhuman with Sharpshooter as my bonus feat, and Assassin is my rogueish archetype. So far I've been hiding as much as possible and obliterating things from long range with my shortbow. I could keep going as a straight Rogue, maybe picking up Crossbow Master and seeing if I can get my hands on a light crossbow (Native American game, it isn't a sure thing). That's a solid option.

I also have the wisdom to multiclass into Ranger, which would provide a boost to my sniper/scout capabilities as well as some useful spells (as long as I stay away from ones where wis is really important).

Then there's the Gauntlets of Ogre Power. I don't know off the top of my head if I can use item-adjusted ability scores for prerequisites, but if so I could multi into Barbarian. That might be fun. Trouble is, then I'm essentially wasting Sharpshooter.

Another idea is to use the gauntlets for thrown weapons. Gauntlets + Sharpshooter = daggers thrown at a range of 60' with +6 to hit. Heck, I could even multiclass Ranger for Archery fighting style for +2 to-hit with Darts as well as the shortbow. That might be the way to go.

It's also possible that I could trade the gauntlets for some boots the Barbarian has that grant +5 initiative. Might not go so well, though- the magic items were gifts and trading them away might be seen in a negative light. Still, I could probably convince the barb.

Any thoughts? Open to new ideas as well.

Easy_Lee
2016-07-03, 12:22 AM
Stick with rogue because it sounds like that's going well.

If you're going to multi-class, many on these forums will tell you to do so into Fighter BM for five or six levels to pick up extra attack, archery, and some maneuvers. You can do ranged trip attacks and use precision shot to turn misses into hits.

And if you're dead-set on Ranger, only dip five levels and make sure to pick up the Hunter archetype. It's not as potent on a rogue as the BM archetype, but it adds some interesting options.

djreynolds
2016-07-03, 12:43 AM
Well I'm not sure about crossbows in a Native American Themed game.

But ranger, or even druid looks very cool. Even land druid.

Rusvul
2016-07-03, 12:46 AM
Erm. Loosely Native American. Orcs are known to use crossbows and metal armor. I could probably nab one off of some of them (or buy one from someone who already killed orcs).

Fighter is probably a better idea than Ranger. I suppose Ranger is really a thematic choice mostly... doesn't stack up mechanically. Plus I like the idea of a BM sniper.

Corran
2016-07-03, 12:53 AM
Go for the item trade! Initiative is more important to you than for the barbarian. And vice versa for strength.

If you want to multiclass, I personaly would suggest picking up some useful to assassins spells, such as invisibility. So I would suggest mlticlassing into some sort of caster (I like sorcerer, but warlock has many goodies to offer too). Dont know if that fits with the theme ofthe campaign though.

Anyway, if you want to make the most of sharpshooter, you have to aim for multiple attacks. Extra attack and extra attack (2) are both features you would want to get. And crossbow master is obligatory, as it lowers the die of your weapon damage and it also gives you one extra attack (both work well with sharpshooter). And you dont want any crossbow or bow, other than hand crossbow. Take artisan's tools (weaponsmith) from battlemster (yes, this is your suggested mc to make sharpshooter shine) and create your hand crossbow yourself, if there are no h.xbows to be found in the setting. Continue withh fighter progression up until at least you reach fighter 11-12. The extra ASIs yu get from fighter will help you. Besides crossbow expert and buming your dex to 20, you need alert and lucky, both surer-important to assassins.

djreynolds
2016-07-03, 12:55 AM
How many levels? Have you ever read the Death Dealer's Guide, in the rogue section. Lots of good ideas.

Even if you grab 5 levels of fighter, you can still grab 3 levels of ranger. Please check out the UA fighter archetype scout, its like a ranger/fighter rolled into one.

3 levels of ranger nets you quite a lot, hunter's mark, spells, archery style or defense, horde breaker/colossus slayer and you can still grab 5 levels of fighter. Or vice versa

Rusvul
2016-07-03, 02:37 AM
All good advice. I think I'll take Fighter next level, followed by Rogue 4 for Crossboe Master, then Fighter for as long as the game continues.

It's worth noting that our group swaps campaigns every once in a while, so I'd be surprised if the game got past level 6-8 or so. Building for 10-12, while often a good idea, is likely to end poorly.

Socratov
2016-07-03, 06:10 AM
Is paladin and warlock an option?

Strictly speaking as an assassin you want 3 things:

win initiative
surprise the target for your crit
extra damage that multiplies on your crits

the Alert feat and the barb's boots will take care of item #1
The assassin's classfeature and decent Stealth wil take care of item #2
Item #3 can be both your sneak attack, but also a paladin's smites.

Even if the classic paladin doesn't mesh well with the Native American vibe, it could do with the Vengeance or Oath of the Ancients paladin.

You could even start on the path of paladin and delve into warlock for those juicy spellslots and roleplay it like making a deal with a dark spirit to further fuel your rampage of vengeance/protection of nature. When yo uhit the 5th lvl spell son warlock you can jsut go back to rogue and get more sneak attack.

In total you end with:

rogue 3/paladin 2/warlock 7/rogue 4-11

which on a surprise hit gives:

1d8 Rapier
6d6 sneak Attack
5d8 Divine smite

Critted for an average of 116 damage, not counting the bonus from a fighting style and ability mods.

hymer
2016-07-03, 07:16 AM
Paladin multiclass brings up the question of how much the PC's native strength is. And am I right in thinking smites only work with melee weapons? If so, does Sharpshooter work with thrown weapons?

Edit: Looked it up. Smite is melee attack only.

Socratov
2016-07-03, 08:16 AM
Paladin multiclass brings up the question of how much the PC's native strength is. And am I right in thinking smites only work with melee weapons? If so, does Sharpshooter work with thrown weapons?

Edit: Looked it up. Smite is melee attack only.

In that case I'd tell you that you need more rogue. Just to gain more bonus dice.

MrStabby
2016-07-03, 08:53 AM
I would be tempted by at least something to get the archery fighting style - 1 level of fighter would get that and longbows. +2 to hit is usually about a 15% increase in damage but if using sharpshooter it is likely to be significantly more. Personally I think getting the hunter ranger archetype is the best bet but it is pushing things towards the end of your campaign before it comes online.

Specter
2016-07-03, 09:55 AM
Ranger 5 offers Fighting Style, a skill, all-weapon proficiency, Hunter's Mark, Colossus Slayer/Horde Breaker, Extra Attack and the all-mighty Pass Without Trace, which essentially gives you the best Stealth in the game. I find anything else hard to compete.

RickAllison
2016-07-03, 10:05 AM
I'm putting in a vote for Grassland Druid 3. That nets you Invisibility and Pass Without Trace (always prepared), two of the best spells for a sneaky person. Those are just icing, as you also get the ability to become the beasts around you. How terrifying is an assassin who can be any chipmunk, any deer, any insect? Turn into a squirrel, climb a tall tree, Hide, then snipe. Alternatively, you can go Moon Druid for a lot more heft, but you miss out on Invisibility.

ClintACK
2016-07-03, 12:46 PM
Two levels of Fighter gets you:
- Archery Style for +2 attack.
- Martial Weapons for Longbow.
- Second Wind.
- Action Surge. (Potentially huge on a surprise round -- like if you miss the first attack.)

And I'd be tempted by level 3, for ranged Battle Master maneuvers.

Ooh. But Grassland Druid is pretty awesome.

Rusvul
2016-07-04, 02:34 PM
I think I'm going to go Rogue 4 (for Crossbow Master) and then Fighter X (as far as I can go). Sadly I think the game will end before I get my second level of whatever multiclass I pick. Fighter gives me the most bang for my buck from the first level, so I think I'll go with that. If we were going til a higher level, I would seriously consider Plains Druid because that sounds awesome.