PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Help with non tripping AoO build: Gestalt Paladin/Warlord(The Demented One)

sage20500
2016-07-03, 02:47 AM
Ok, so i've finally decided on the direction that I want to take a Paladin of Tyranny//Half Nymph 2/Exotic Weapon Fighter 1/Warlord 17. ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?83559-From-4e-to-3-5-The-Warlord-Base-Class )The idea behind the class was that after my grouped switched from 4e D&D to 3.5 mid campaign because the DM had an easier time running 3.5; that I was trying to rebuild the original character who was a hybrid Warlord/Sorcerer King Warlock, and that almost everything that he did was supposed to grant an ally of his an extra attack. Now since its pretty much impossible to build that exact character concept, I switched over to playing a leader off tank, and the DM allowed me to use that homebrew warlord provided I don't use any of the homebrew feats he views as op (Mainly Selfless Defense and Veterans Prowess.) Build wise, I don't want to ever worrying about full attacking because we already have 2 other melee characters that do that, so aside from normal charge attacks to get into combat i'll pretty much only be using Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, and White Raven maneuvers. The character itself is being given a free Large Abyssal Iron Great Spear (Homebrew legacy weapon with no drawbacks) So I'm essentially now looking for ways to play up being the party tank that don't involve tripping since I will not have the option to and no one else at the table wants to deal with a complete lockdown/crackdown build (most of them have had bad experiences with meteor hammer/spike chain builds and no longer care to see them).

Campaign wise, we're primarily going to be facing demons and devils, so I have the dragon magazine acf for paladins that let me trade away Smite Good for Favored Enemy (Outsider Evil), so I'm not that concerned about doing much with Power Attack-Shock Trooper since I don't plan on making more than 1 attack on my turn, which I have a fairly good chance of hitting with.

So stat wise, starting off at 6, I have 16 Str, 19 Dex, - Con, 18 Int, 10 Wis, and 25 Cha. Race wise, I am a Magic Blooded, Half Nymph Lesser Cansin that took the Necropolitan template at some point before the campaign started, and I am lawful evil. For Homebrew rules, We gain feats at every even level, but are not allowed to use flaws.

Party I'm with, Half Minotaur Orc Barbarian//Something into Warhulk, A Half Frost Orc Serenity Paladin/Feat Rogue who's doing all the Half Orc paladin racial class levels and trading out his mount for other stuff. Those two are the party beat sticks. We also have a Succubus//Wilder/Thrallherd as the party caster.

Weapon I am wielding, Large Great Spear that will give me a +2-6 enhancement bonus to Dex at ECL 6, 12, 18. Comes with Valorous Enchantment and Spirited Charge as a freebie feat later on.

Current Gear I have that we're starting with: +1 Large Greatspear, Strongarm Bracers, Breastplate, +1 Ring of Deflection, 10 Harpoons, and a Living Mask so I don't have to worry about anyone asking questions about there being an undead character (Part of the reason why I chose to have a 16 Int in the point buy was so that I had the skill points to put into disguise)

Current Feats I have:
Improved Initiative (Was Given as a freebie by DM for backstory reasons)
Power Attack (Character level 1)
Track (Paladin ACF)
Divine Power (Holy Warrior Paladin 4)
Exotic Weapon Prof: Great Spear and Harpoon (Exoticist Fighter acf)
Shorten Grip (Fighter 1)
Martial Teamwork (CL 2) (From The Demented One, allows me to give my allies Improved Initiative)
Combat Reflexes (CL 4)
Deft Oppurtunist (CL 6)

Later On I was hoping to pick up Robilar's Gambit, Defensive Sweep, and Mage Slayer, as well as Mighty Bastion (From The Demented One). Possibly I was considering picking up Cleave and Brothers in Steel (Also from The Demented One; this will be my 10th level Warlord feat since I'll have BaB of 13 by then) in order to get more of the feel of the original character as well as make use of the two really effective beat sticks I have in the party. I do plan on getting the Thicket of Blades stance since the original idea was that no matter what the enemy does they provoke, which is what I'm currently trying to optimize. I also plan on buying the boots that have you always readied against a charge as well since I'm using a great spear (I'm using those to replace having to pick up hold the line as a feat).

Aside from possibly picking up the willing deformity tall or inhuman reach combos, what else would you guys suggest that would be effective for this character? Essentially the name of the game that I'm going by is anything that will allow me to kill team monster faster since the majority of the players feel that things being slain faster is better than drawing fights out by denying actions.