PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Ranged Attack of Opportunity

Kesnit
2016-07-03, 08:13 AM
Is there a way got a ranged combatant to get an attack of opportunity? Or be able to take an AoO when an ally does?

Sagetim
2016-07-03, 09:01 AM
I don't know about the second one, but the Soulbow prestige class gets to threaten melee with their mind arrow attacks, and I'm pretty sure the Order of the Bow Initiate gets the same class ability, but with actual physical bows. No, I think we misread/houseruled it in a game where I played a soulknife/soulbow/illumine soul. Close Combat Shot allows you to shoot someone in melee without provoking an AoO, but says nothing about threatening them with your bow in melee range.

If you're up for house ruling then you could let the Close Combat Shot ability threaten the normal 5ft squares of melee despite being a ranged weapon, from experience it didn't really have a huge impact on our combat, it just helped to punish brazenly fleeing combat past my character usually.

A homebrew feat for something like the second one would probably have point blank shot, precise shot, and some appropriate level of ranks of spot as requirements. Something like:

Opportunity Shooter:
Requires: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Spot 7 ranks
Benefit: If you have already acted in this combat, when an ally makes a sneak attack or an attack of opportunity against a target within 30 feet, you may use your attack of opportunity for the round to make a ranged attack at the same target with a loaded/instantly loadable weapon in your hands. If they are flat footed to your ally, they count as flat footed to this attack of opportunity. A line of effect is still required to make this shot.
Special: If you have multiple attacks of opportunity in a round (such as from combat reflexes) then you may activate this feat multiple times in a round, but not more than once for any particular opportunity.
This may be taken as a Fighter Bonus Feat.
Clarification: you would need rapid reload to use this feat with a light crossbow in any round that you already fired it, or to use the feat more than once in a round.

it basically requires level 4 fighter to get it asap, or level 6 on anyone else due to the rank requirement. And while it could provide a solid investment for a ranged rogue to get extra attacks out, they would need coordination from the rest of the party for any of those to get sneak attack dice added on. I'd leave it to you as the GM running it to determine if a pair of rogues could use an ally activating this feat to activate their own copy of it for some kind of attack of opportunity sneak attacking chain...but I would say no if they tried to loop the chain back around until they ran out of AoO's for the round.

gorfnab
2016-07-03, 09:11 AM
Ranged Threat feat Dragon #350

WhamBamSam
2016-07-03, 12:19 PM
There's the Arrow Mind spell, but that's only within your melee reach.

The less crappy 3.0 version of Order of the Bow Initiate let you take a free shot at an enemy that provoked an AoO from an ally once per round.

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-03, 02:03 PM
This technically fits, tormtor school feat from DotU. Enemy procs an AOO in melee, you can throw your javelin at someone behind him.

StreamOfTheSky
2016-07-03, 11:22 PM
As said, Arrow Mind is the easiest way to do this, it lets you shoot AoOs out to your melee reach. Order of the Bow Initiate can do similar but really isn't worth it.

The mass snake's swiftness spell gives all nearby allies a free melee or ranged attack, and is great on a wand (no need for CL, no saving throw, etc...). It's only 2nd level on the Druid spell list.

Pathfinder has the following teamwork feat (meaning, another ally also needs to have the feat): http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/target-of-opportunity-combat-teamwork

Target of Opportunity (Combat, Teamwork)

You and your allies pelt your enemies with a deadly barrage of missiles.

Prerequisite: Point-Blank Shot, base attack bonus +6.

Benefit: When an ally who also has this feat makes a ranged attack and hits an opponent within 30 feet of you, you can spend an immediate action to make a single ranged attack against that opponent. Your ranged weapon must be in hand, loaded, and ready to be fired or thrown for you to make the ranged attack.

Sayt
2016-07-03, 11:29 PM
Pathfinder also has Snap-shot (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/snap-shot-combat), Improved (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/improved-snap-shot-combat) and Greater (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/greater-snap-shot-combat).

StreamOfTheSky
2016-07-03, 11:34 PM
Pathfinder also has Snap-shot (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/snap-shot-combat), Improved (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/improved-snap-shot-combat) and Greater (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/greater-snap-shot-combat).

It's questionable those are worth all the feats in a PF-only game. In a 3E game with Arrow Mind available, it's quite pointless. If you do go for them, it doesn't really pay off until Improved Snap Shot (Greater Snap Shot isn't even worth taking, though).

sleepyphoenixx
2016-07-04, 05:01 AM
The Defensive Rebuke maneuver makes enemies you hit provoke AoO's from you if they attack anyone other than you in melee. There is no weapon or range restriction, so it's one of the few maneuvers to work for archers.
You can pick it up with a 1 level crusader dip at level 9 or later.

StreamOfTheSky
2016-07-04, 08:25 AM
The Defensive Rebuke maneuver makes enemies you hit provoke AoO's from you if they attack anyone other than you in melee. There is no weapon or range restriction, so it's one of the few maneuvers to work for archers.
You can pick it up with a 1 level crusader dip at level 9 or later.

Uh, yeah.... You still have to actually threaten someone to make an AoO against them.

WhamBamSam
2016-07-04, 11:55 AM
Uh, yeah.... You still have to actually threaten someone to make an AoO against them.You can however use those provokes to trigger some things. The Ghostly Tail spell explicitly doesn't care whether you're wielding a weapon that threatens the enemy or not so it works with zero ambiguity (if not zero silliness). Evasive Reflexes should work as well ("gives you a chance to make an attack of opportunity" is a little ambiguous in this case, but I'd say "provokes an AoO from you" is the most reasonable parsing). Stormguard Warrior's Channel the Storm is also sort of a grey area, though the "forego" language makes it a bit sketchier than Evasive Reflexes in my opinion.

ksbsnowowl
2016-07-04, 11:33 PM
Peerless Archer PrC, Silver Marches. Gains a threatened area with bows at 8th level.

The Viscount
2016-07-05, 01:52 PM
An elvencraft bow (an adjustment for a few hundred gp from RotW) makes your bow a club or quarterstaff as well as a bow, allowing you to threaten adjacent squares.

Kesnit
2016-07-05, 07:56 PM
Hmm... I was afraid of these answers.

The PC in question is a Warlock. I didn't say that at first because I was hoping to get an answer that would work for a Warlock, even if it wasn't WAR-focused.

Troacctid
2016-07-05, 08:34 PM
Warlocks can make attacks of opportunity with their eldritch blast using the Eldritch Claws feat from Dragon Magazine #358 or the Eldritch Glaive invocation from Dragon Magic.

Kesnit
2016-07-06, 11:01 AM
Warlocks can make attacks of opportunity with their eldritch blast using the Eldritch Claws feat from Dragon Magazine #358 or the Eldritch Glaive invocation from Dragon Magic.

She doesn't have either. A previous Warlock she played had Eldricth Claws (and was a Blend-o-Matic), but she wanted to go with something different this time.

Troacctid
2016-07-06, 01:22 PM
The only other way is with an epic feat, so you're out of luck, then.

Sayt
2016-07-06, 02:36 PM
Well, snap shot would work if you care to meet the prerequisites.

Wonton
2016-07-06, 04:57 PM
Snap Shot and Improved Snap Shot in Pathfinder. If you're in 3.5, maybe ask your DM if you can port it.