PDA

View Full Version : Looking for: good no-save "Attack" spells for an evil cleric/bone knight

Giegue
2016-07-03, 08:40 AM
As the title says. When I saw the feat Dynamic Priest from legend of twins I got excited. Charisma and Intelligence are my favorite abilities to have high on a character and this feat let me play a charisma SAD cleric with one caviate: my spell DCs would be terrible since dynamic priest swaps your casting to cha for everything except save DCs. Thus, I decided to abuse the high cha I'd have by making the most of divine Metamagic: persistant spell and playing the character as a primary melee character who's main offense is CoD Zilla-style melee fighting after buffs. With that focus in mind my love of necromancy immediately drew me to the Bone Knight PRC (which is amazing for Melee clerics) and thus a character started to take shape.

The idea is to focus on both melee combat and reanimating the dead as my main "things" as neither undead minions nor buff-fuled melee require good save DCs. That being said, having the odd offensive spell to throw out occasionally would be nice, but since the 3.5e cleric list is so massive I need your help. What are some good offensive spells that do not offer a save from the cleric spell list that can be used by an evil character? If anybody has suggestions for good ones I'd be grateful!

noce
2016-07-03, 10:03 AM
Power Word spells (depending on domains chosen), as well as Blasphemy/Dictum/Word of Chaos, are good save or byebye spells.

Harm and Blistering Radiance are damage spells with a save for half, note though that the save is not the usual Reflex save, so they're still valid against evasion targets. Mass inflict wounds can be used to deal damage while healing your undead friends, will halves damage.

Antilife Shell protects you and your minions from enemies, and can be persisted.

Lesser/Greater Aura of Cold deal damage each round around you, and both can be persisted.

Shivering Touch can end an encounter, dealing 3d6 damage to dexterity.

Darkfire provides you with a decent ranged option, and can be persisted.
Fiery Vision is similar, but higher level and deals more damage.

Searing Light deals a small amount of damage.
Slashing Darkness is similar to searing light, but can be used to heal undead.
Lucent Lance blinds for 1 round and deals considerable damage, but cannot be used in total darkness.
Streamers deals up to 20d10 damage, but is a late bloomer.

Manifest Life deals a considerable amount of damage to a target, and you can heal yourself of the same amount in a following round.

Spiritual Cavalry create phantom horsemen that deal little damage, but is area of effect.

Summon Monster X, Spiritual Weapon and Spider Plague are all viable and obviously with no save.

Orb of Dancing Death deals 1 negative level per round.

End to Strife, although there are better 9th level spells.

Shiva asori
2016-07-03, 10:48 AM
Unholy storm in the spell compendium (page 227) sounds like it would fit, AoE damage spell centered on the caster, no SR, no to hit and no saves, damages good creatures only so that your undead aren't hurt either.

Darkfire in the spell compendium (page 59) can be considered an attack spell the same way produce flame is except that darkfire 1d6 per two caster levels 5d6 max, decent to consider persisting.

Stormrage in the spell compendium (page 210) give speed 40ft flight, immunity to wind effects and the ability to shoot lightning rays from your eyes. persistable and the rays deal 1d6 two castor levels max 10d6.

AslanCross
2016-07-03, 04:22 PM
I know you specified no save, but there aren't that many I know of, unfortunately.

Spell Compendium has:

3rd Level
-Slashing Darkness: Ranged touch deals 1d8/2 levels damage, or heals undead

4th Level
-sound lance: 1d8 sonic damage/level

5th level
-earth reaver: 7d6 explosion of rocks and fire. No saving throw for the damage; Reflex save to the targets or get knocked prone (no save against the damage)

6th level
-ice flowers:1d6 damage/level, half bludgeoning, half cold
-cometfall: 1d6/level, creatures that fail are knocked prone.

7th level
-death dragon: Not offensive, but it gives you a suit of dragonbone + necro energy armor, a fear-causing breath weapon, and inflict critical wounds as an at-will ability for the duration. I think it fits the Bone Knight class a lot.

8th
-bodak's glare: Instant kill, turns victim into a bodak
-general of undeath: double the undead you can control.

9th
-plague of undeath :smallamused:

Morcleon
2016-07-03, 06:46 PM
Since you're running DMM (Persist), holy star (SC) is perfect for you. As a free action, you can shoot a 1d6 per 2 CL bolt of fire damage (ranged touch, no SR) up to 90ft away, get +6 circumstance to AC, or 1d4+3 levels of spell turning. While the spell turning is only once per cast (and so will usually be used up in the first encounter), the other two are reusable throughout the whole 24 hour duration.

Efrate
2016-07-03, 08:19 PM
Avasculate and Avascular mass have fort that negates a stun but "damage" isn't. It reduces health to half their current total, and avascular mass is a great fight opener, if you have the anchor points and incorporal undead. Need the deathbound domain though. Dip into something to get it if you don't have it already.

Enervation is solid, and with DMM easy enough enough to split ray and maximize/empower.

Death by Thorns is a great BC spell, save prevents death but can buy time to say split ray enervate someone.

Darrin
2016-07-04, 09:08 AM
1st:

Conjure Ice Beast (Frostburn). Create an ice beast wolf. Cold aura is a free action, 10' burst with no save, 1d6 cold damage every round.

Lantern Light (BoED). I can haz lazerbem eyez.

Light of Lunia (Spell Compendium). Two ranged touch attacks, 1d6 damage, double damage on undead and evil outsiders.

Nimbus of Light (Spell Compendium). Another one of those create an aura of light, and then blast someone with it. Only one bolt, but you can "charge it up" +1 damage per round (up to CL) before releasing it.

(Hmm... those all assume you're a good cleric... maybe refluff as evilish?)

2nd:

Alicorn Lance (Silver Marches Web Enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020719a)). Ranged touch attack, 3d6 force damage, target outlined with faerie fire.

Cloud of Knives (PHBII). Free ranged attack every round. Add blade of blood as a swift action for more damage.

Spiritual Weapon (Core). Fire and forget, force damage.

Light of Mercuria (Spell Compendium). Same as Lunia, except 2d6 damage.

3rd:

Conjure Ice Beast III (Frostburn). Surround your target with four ice beast wolves. Cold aura is a free action, 10' burst with no save, 1d6 cold damage per wolf.

Flesh Ripper (BoVD). Ranged touch attack, 1d8/CL (max 10d8), crit does double damage and bleeds 1 damage per round.

Light of Venya (Spell Compendium). Same as Lunia/Mercuria, except 3d6 damage.