PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Fighter/Rogue/Monk/Wizard multiclass??

R0NIN
2016-07-03, 10:56 AM
So I'm trying to recreate a character I originally had years ago in 2nd edition when dual classing was a thing. It's a long story how he got like that but the case was he was a well regarded swordsman and also a bit of spell caster. So I'm trying to see what works best. He's going to basically be an unarmored mobile dex type fighter. So I was thinking: fighter 11 eldritch knight, Wizard 5 Bladesinger, Rogue 3 Swashbuckler, Monk 1.

With ability scores of

11 Str
18 Dex
12 Con
16 Int
16 Wis
18 Cha (don't remember the original score but in 2nd ed there was a card in deck of many things that gave you 18 cha that's why that is high)

So AC wise this would net me
17 AC unarmored
20 AC with Mage Armor
23 AC w/Mage Armor and Blade Song
25 AC w/Mage Armor/BS/ and Haste spell
30 AC w/Mage Armor/BS/Haste/ and Shield spell

I'd go with Short sword dueling style

so we're talking
3 attacks at 1d6+6 each
4 attacks with martial arts (using bonus action)
5 attacks with MA and Haste
8 attacks with MA/Haste/and Action surge
and extra 2d6 sneak attack damage when creature isn't within 5 ft of another also the normal sneak attack variables.

With swashbuckler and BS movement that should allow me to move around get myself into and out of various situations to get the most out of sneak attack.

The wizard levels give me up to 3rd level spells so I can get access to haste. The magic he'd take is more for utility and enhancing combat prowess than for straight damage.

Is this right or even viable??

smcmike
2016-07-03, 11:10 AM
It looks like you are adding together Mage Armor and monk's unarmored defense. They don't stack.

ClintACK
2016-07-03, 11:22 AM
You're stacking things that don't stack.

AC isn't bonus from each thing, like in 3.5e. Things like "Mage Armor" and "Unarmored Defense" don't add a bonus, they change the base formula.

So, for example:
- Mage Armor -- 13+dex bonus (17 AC)
- Unarmored Defense -- 10 + dex + wis (17 AC)

It's pick one, not add the bonuses. Either way you get 17 AC, with your stats.

Other things do stack -- like the +2 from Haste and +5 from Shield. Also the +1 from Defensive Fighting Style if you take that as a Fighter. (So does the +2 from wearing an actual shield -- just remember to take the Warcaster feat if you want to be able to cast spells with your hands full.)

So I'd drop the level of monk. Take the 12th level of fighter (for an ASI/Feat) or the 6th level of Bladesinger (for an Archetype feature) -- and either one nets you +1 Caster Level for spell slot purposes. (This gains you two high level spell slots in return for blowing a 1st level slot casting Mage Armor and giving up the bonus action 1d4+4 attack. You should have *lots* of better uses for your bonus action, between spells and Cunning Action.)

But yes, definitely viable.

djreynolds
2016-07-03, 11:24 AM
How about 14 levels of bladesinger and add dex and intelligence to all attacks while bladesinging, easily making up for the lost 3rd attack of the fighter?

And 7th level spells?

Now monk get patient defense as a bonus action imagine all that AC while talking the dodge action as a bonus action, pretty good if you really get into trouble and step of the wind you can dash or disengage. So we need some ki points. So monk could be trouble if want to use monk abilities with limited Ki points

And rogue has cunning action. And swashbuckler alone would send your initiative into the sky.

What about 14 bladesinger and sprinkle in some monk, rogue, and forget fighter?

But you know what, 14 bladesinger and 6 paladin would be very sweet indeed. Yeah lets do that instead. Aura of protection, now your saves rock, and you have plenty of spell slots to smite with. Studded leather is 12AC plus 18 dex mod of +4, 16AC end up with 26 max dexterity, but an additional +4 to all saves.

R0NIN
2016-07-03, 11:34 AM
You're stacking things that don't stack.

AC isn't bonus from each thing, like in 3.5e. Things like "Mage Armor" and "Unarmored Defense" don't add a bonus, they change the base formula.

So, for example:
- Mage Armor -- 13+dex bonus (17 AC)
- Unarmored Defense -- 10 + dex + wis (17 AC)

It's pick one, not add the bonuses. Either way you get 17 AC, with your stats.

Other things do stack -- like the +2 from Haste and +5 from Shield. Also the +1 from Defensive Fighting Style if you take that as a Fighter. (So does the +2 from wearing an actual shield -- just remember to take the Warcaster feat if you want to be able to cast spells with your hands full.)

So I'd drop the level of monk. Take the 12th level of fighter (for an ASI/Feat) or the 6th level of Bladesinger (for an Archetype feature) -- and either one nets you +1 Caster Level for spell slot purposes. (This gains you two high level spell slots in return for blowing a 1st level slot casting Mage Armor and giving up the bonus action 1d4+4 attack. You should have *lots* of better uses for your bonus action, between spells and Cunning Action.)

But yes, definitely viable.

So unarmored AC doesn't stack with Mage Armor? That doesn't seem right. Does it stack with Bladesong?

Yeah looks like best bet is dropping Monk and adding a level of fighter. Maybe switching to rapier.

Veldrenor
2016-07-03, 12:56 PM
So unarmored AC doesn't stack with Mage Armor? That doesn't seem right. Does it stack with Bladesong?

Mage Armor says "The target's base AC becomes 13 + its Dexterity modifier" and Unarmored Defense says "your AC equals 10 + your dexterity modifier + your wisdom modifier." They both set your AC to a specific number, like if you're wearing armor, and therefore don't stack with each other. Bladesong, however, is worded differently: "you gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1)." Bladesong, shields, the Shield spell, a Cloak or Ring of Protection, Bracers of Defense, anything that gives a bonus rather than setting your AC can stack on top of the base AC you're getting from either Mage Armor or Unarmored Defense.

R0NIN
2016-07-03, 02:27 PM
Mage Armor says "The target's base AC becomes 13 + its Dexterity modifier" and Unarmored Defense says "your AC equals 10 + your dexterity modifier + your wisdom modifier." They both set your AC to a specific number, like if you're wearing armor, and therefore don't stack with each other. Bladesong, however, is worded differently: "you gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1)." Bladesong, shields, the Shield spell, a Cloak or Ring of Protection, Bracers of Defense, anything that gives a bonus rather than setting your AC can stack on top of the base AC you're getting from either Mage Armor or Unarmored Defense.

ok cool got it. Thanks.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-04, 07:46 AM
I'd suggest Barbarian instead of Monk for unarmed AC, as Con will probably be more useful to you than Wisdom. The Rogue dip is a classic, of course, but you could get a similar effect with the Mobile feat and not waste the levels. It might also be worth going Eldritch Knight 7 (for War Magic)/Bladesinger the rest for superior magical ability- or dropping Bladesinger after two levels for the song and sticking with EK, who if I remember correctly can get Haste eventually. (I guess my overall concern is that you're multiclassing too much and will wind up feeling behind in everything that matters).