PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Capstone Level 9 Spells for Bard and Warlock [PEACH]

Gastronomie
2016-07-03, 11:10 AM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493496-Spell-Toxic-Corruption) sorta got me thinking on "what would make a good capstone spell for a specific character".
These are random ideas, but the thing I had in mind was to make them "solid choices". As such, they are probably powerful. Both of them are also Mighty-Morphin' type spells which empower the caster, with much emphasis on Mighty.

"Words of Creation" is for bards only. "Eldritch Incarnation" is for warlocks only, and cannot be copied by other classes' abilities like Magical Secrets.

Words of Creation
9th-level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V
Duration: 1 minute
This spell is the ultimate epitome of a bard’s skill, the one and only foundation upon which the art of music stands. You weave together the very Words of Creation that gave birth to the multiverse, harnessing the raw primordial power that is channeled through all of existence.
When you cast this spell, you can automatically cast a Bard spell you know of level 4 or lower (that has a casting time of 1 action) at its original level, without using an action and without expending a spell slot. Also, during the duration, as an action, you can cast a Bard spell you know of level 4 or lower (that has a casting time of 1 action) at its original level, without expending a spell slot.
During the duration, you can concentrate on up to three Bard spells with different names at the same time, but if you are concentrating on a Bard spell (s), you cannot concentrate on non-Bard spells at the same time. You make a separate saving throw for each spell when keeping concentration.

Eldritch Incarnation
9th-level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a symbol or artifact related to, or bestowed upon you by your patron)
Duration: 8 hours
Your patron does not consider you a mere servant anymore. You are now a gate. A gate through which the power of your patron floods into the material plane, your body and soul now entirely merged with your patron and nearly undistinguishable. Indeed, while this spell is in effect, you are now in fact an official “incarnate” of your patron - one of the many faces it owns.
During the duration, any attacks you make with the Eldritch Blast cantrip or a Pact Weapon have advantage. Also, add 1d6 to the results of all saving throws you make against magical effects.
In addition, choose one from the following: Fey, Fiend, and Aberration (this should match your patron, and the DM may alllow you to choose a different type). During the duration, you are treated as that creature type, and you gain the benefits corresponding to your choice (the DM may allow you to create a different ability to match your specific patron):
Fey. When you cast a warlock spell or activate a warlock ability that forces the targets to make a saving throw to avoid being or stop being charmed or frightened, the targets have disadvantage on those saving throws. Each time a target fails on a saving throw of your warlock spell or warlock ability and becomes, or keeps on being charmed or frightened, the target also takes 2d6 psychic damage (if this damage would cause the target to make a new saving throw, this new saving throw does not occur).
Fiend. You gain resistance to fire, poison, cold, and lightning damage, as well as bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from non-magical weapons. If you already have resistance to these types of damage from a different source, you instead gain immunity to it.
Aberration. You gain immunity to psychic damage. Any creature who you choose who starts its turn within 60 feet of you and can understand your existence must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw which has disadvantage or gain one form of short-term madness (as explained in page 259 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide. The DM may roll on the madness table, or choose an ideal form of madness. At the DM’s discretion, you may invent a new form of short-term madness). The creature repeats the saving throw at the end of each of its turns,. On a success, the creature’s short-term madness is cured, and the creature is immune to this ability for the next 24 hours. If a creature fails this saving throw three times within 24 hours, he also gains a form of long-term madness.

Belac93
2016-07-03, 11:24 AM
I quite like these, they seem very nice.

What about an Undying Patron for Eldritch Incarnation?

JRDS
2016-07-03, 06:34 PM
I think that providing the ability to concentrate on 3 spells at once is overpowered.

I also think that the avatar spell duration of 8 hours is too much. You're basically getting a new capstone/passive buff. This is a on par with a replacement for a level 20 capstone.

Gastronomie
2016-07-03, 06:46 PM
I quite like these, they seem very nice.

What about an Undying Patron for Eldritch Incarnation?Thanks~~. Well, TBH I don't know about the Undying patron much, which is why I left it out.

I think that providing the ability to concentrate on 3 spells at once is overpowered.

I also think that the avatar spell duration of 8 hours is too much. You're basically getting a new capstone/passive buff. This is a on par with a replacement for a level 20 capstone.I sorta made these to be overpowered, since they're meant to be just as strong as the original level 9 spells, like Wish for Bard (via Magical Secrets) and Foresight or Polymorph for Warlock.

As for Words of Creation, I suppose I'd snip out advantage on concentration, then.

The Incarnation spell duration is 8 hours because Foresight is just like that. So...

Thanks for the comments, tho~~