PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [Warlock Patron] The Symbiote

will5566
2016-07-03, 05:40 PM
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to DnD (started over winter break last year) and my favorite class is the warlock. I really like the idea of playing a bladelock but it seems like eldritch blast outclasses a warlock's melee attacks in almost every situation. The purpose of the Symbiote subclass is to de-incentivize, eldritch blast spam while rewarding the warlock for getting up close and personal. This is my first time trying something like this so any constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated, especially anything having to do with the actual balance of the subclass.

Enjoy! homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ry_73yvU (sorry I can't hyperlink, 1st time posting)

JRDS
2016-07-03, 06:42 PM
There needs to be a limit to how many transformation stacks a warlock can have on them.

I'm not sure how I feel about the lvl14 feature; losing control of your character isn't something I'd have fun with, personally. Also potentially a way to accidentally kill a party member.

will5566
2016-07-03, 07:10 PM
There needs to be a limit to how many transformation stacks a warlock can have on them.

I'm not sure how I feel about the lvl14 feature; losing control of your character isn't something I'd have fun with, personally. Also potentially a way to accidentally kill a party member.

The stacks are capped by your charisma modifier. As for the lvl14 I probably worded it poorly. My intention was for the player to still be able to choose their targets, but their available actions are just limited to attacking and dashing. As for attacking party members, I thought that would encourage a kind of risk/reward play style. You can either save the transform and risk the random party kill, or use it at a suboptimal time where you know you can get five kills.

I hope I explained it better here. Thanks for the input.