PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock Patron: The Spellweavers (PEACH)

JRDS
2016-07-03, 06:02 PM
Spellweavers are some of the most awesome monsters ever!

http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-coolest-d-monster-that-nobody-uses.html

So I decided to make a Warlock Patron (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyLYL34U) based off of them. This includes currently 1 Invocation for Pact of the Tome, and not sure if I want to make more or not for the sake of being rounded out.

Feedback is appreciated! :biggrin:

Final Hyena
2016-07-04, 03:51 AM
How does weavers knot (bonus cantrip damage) affect eldritch blast? The wording makes me feel like it affects every bolt, which is very strong.

JRDS
2016-07-04, 10:46 AM
Ach I forget that EB has multiple bolts as one levels up.

How would this wording be?

"Increase the damage of a cantrip you cast by your Charisma modifier. If the cantrip is capable of targeting more than one person, then this extra damage can either effect one target or be split up between them."

khadgar567
2016-07-04, 10:54 AM
Ach I forget that EB has multiple bolts as one levels up.

How would this wording be?

"Increase the damage of a cantrip you cast by your Charisma modifier. If the cantrip is capable of targeting more than one person, then this extra damage can either effect one target or be split up between them."
Nah just let them increase every bolt warlock needs his dpr any way

JRDS
2016-07-04, 11:21 AM
Heh.

Well aside from how the Weaver's Knot effects the Eldritch Blast cantrip, how is the rest of the Patron? Balanced? Needing a tweak?

khadgar567
2016-07-04, 11:40 AM
You know since you got good knowledge for spellweavers why not make their disk pact boon instead so hits more thematicly to patron

JRDS
2016-07-04, 11:47 AM
Already got you covered!

On the second page of the pdf there is an Invocation that turns your Book of the Shadows from the Pact Boon, Pact of the Tome, into a disk like the spellweaver's use.

Zozma
2016-07-05, 09:56 PM
I really like the idea, overall, and you were very creative when you incorporated the features of the Spellweavers into the class. I especially like the capstone ability, and the versatility of the knots.

If I were to recommend any changes, it would be these:
1)The last feature of the siphoning counterspell ability seems unnecessary and potentially overpowered. Among other things, the warlock might use the ability with the intention of failing if they deem the resistance to be more valuable than two knots. Further, warlocks can't really gamble on counterspells the same way sorcerers or wizards can, given that they always cast their spells at the highest available level.

2) Arcane Backstitching seems to fall back on a lot of the minute bookkeeping that 5e tries to avoid with its advantage/disadvantage system. Depending on the players this might not be or problem, or could even be a benefit, but it's something to keep in mind.