PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Adjusting the Tiefling race to suit Loki from Marvel

Corinath
2016-07-03, 06:56 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm adjusting the tiefling chassis to better suit Loki from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. How would you handle the following adjustments?

1) I'm changing his fire resistance to cold. Is cold frequent enough in and of itself compared to fire? Or should I add another resistance? I notice the Aasimar template uses this chasis for radiant, but acknowledges radiant damage isn't frequent and so give necrotic instead.

2) I'd like to change his SLAs. Could I conceivably swap out these spells for spells of the same spell level and still be just as balanced? Loki is a trickster with frost giant heritage, so I'm exploring giving mostly cold spells and maybe one other social spell like Disguise Self.

Thanks!

Discord
2016-07-03, 07:22 PM
Are you the DM or are you making a character for someone else's campaign? If you are DMing, I can assist you, if you are not, I'd suggest getting together with your DM and talking about what he/she thinks is balanced.

Corinath
2016-07-03, 07:27 PM
Are you the DM or are you making a character for someone else's campaign? If you are DMing, I can assist you, if you are not, I'd suggest getting together with your DM and talking about what he/she thinks is balanced.

I'm the DM! :)

Specter
2016-07-03, 07:28 PM
As for spells, minor illusion/charm person/alter self, instead of the regular ones.

As for resistances, maybe it isn't the case. Have you seen Loki resist anything? I haven't. You could make him immune to charming, for instance, and it should be an even trade.

I've put a Loki build in my Social God guide (below), but more based on mythology than Marvel. Take a look if you like.

Corinath
2016-07-03, 07:33 PM
As for spells, minor illusion/charm person/alter self, instead of the regular ones.

As for resistances, maybe it isn't the case. Have you seen Loki resist anything? I haven't. You could make him immune to charming, for instance, and it should be an even trade.

I've put a Loki build in my Social God guide (below), but more based on mythology than Marvel. Take a look if you like.

Resisting charm might is a good idea! I hadn't considered the save resists at all. :)

Dr. Cliché
2016-07-04, 05:18 AM
Out of interest, what class is Loki going to be?

As for resistances, maybe it isn't the case. Have you seen Loki resist anything? I haven't.

He's resisted a lot of things - most notably Cold. In the first Thor film, he resisted the icy touch of one of the giants (which would otherwise have frozen him solid). In fact, he might even be immune to cold.

Also, he's still a demigod. He can still survive damage that would kill a human. e.g. he might not be walking around after Hulk smashed him around in Avengers, but he's not paste either.

Lombra
2016-07-04, 05:33 AM
Resistance to cold and advantage on survival checks that rely on cold climates.

Keep in mind that it's JUST a race, making him as he should be just by racial traits is unbalanced and ridiculous.

Replace thaumaturgy with minor illusion and hellish rebuke with charm person.

Obviously keep dark vision.

Throw in a resistance to all damage once per long rest, or advantage on saving throws against charm spells once per long rest.

rollingForInit
2016-07-04, 03:10 PM

Maybe take the Elf's Fey Ancestry trait, but boost it up to Charm immunity? Immunity to being Charmed and put to Sleep ... sounds pretty decent? The Fey Ancestry feature can't be considered that strong (considering all the other stuff that elves get as well) but with the immunity added, it could balance against Fire Resistance, which is pretty powerful.

Do Asgardians sleep voluntarily? Can't recall. Otherwise grabbing the Trance feature from elves might be a nice ribbon, too.

Or, you know. Maybe just modding the Elf is better?

Drow Elf, specifically, since it has the spellcasting. Remove Superior Darkvision and Sunlight Sensitivity, go with the spells people have suggested here ... feels a bit more Asgardian to me.

Joe the Rat
2016-07-05, 11:58 AM
From the Tiefling:
Fire Resistance --> Cold Resistance would be a fair trade.
Infernal Legacy --> Devil's Tongue (SCAG Tiefling Variant feature): Your cantrip is Vicious Mockery. You gain Charm Person and Fascination as 1/day spells as you level. His words do wound thee (hp loss = diminish your fighting capacity) and throw off your actions.

Movie version, the illusions are not from his race, but his mother. I'm thinking warlock - fiend is more dangerdeadly and ups resistances, but fey captures more of the character's essence (deception, illusion, misty step). At will disguise self and silent image is like half his schtick (the other half being honeyed words and bitter insults).

HeyBJ
2016-07-05, 12:11 PM
Movie version, the illusions are not from his race, but his mother. I'm thinking warlock - fiend is more dangerdeadly and ups resistances, but fey captures more of the character's essence (deception, illusion, misty step). At will disguise self and silent image is like half his schtick (the other half being honeyed words and bitter insults).

Good point about the illusions. They really shouldn't be tied to race. And I wonder if he shouldn't have a little Rogue too; he's pretty good at sneak attacks.

Joe the Rat
2016-07-05, 12:14 PM
Good point about the illusions. They really shouldn't be tied to race. And I wonder if he shouldn't have a little Rogue too; he's pretty good at sneak attacks.
Arcane Trickster would be another way to go here - and probably closer to the themes of the character (trickster, illusions, sneaky, B&E as a hobby)

Dr. Cliché
2016-07-05, 12:46 PM

I'd definitely go with Fey Warlock.