PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A Campaign vs an Adventure

JRDS
2016-07-03, 09:54 PM
What's the difference? Someone at my table mentioned they prefer Adventures to Campaigns, and I only run "campaigns." :confused:

ProphetSword
2016-07-03, 10:24 PM
A campaign is a long-term game that lasts across several levels and usually involves multiple stories and adventures. Some campaigns run for years, and players continue to play the same characters throughout, barring one of them meeting permanent death or something else happening.

An adventure is usually a single story game (explore this dungeon, kill this thing, etc) that doesn't last quite as long. When an adventure finishes, players will usually play different characters during the next adventure.

If you know what the difference between an "Adventure Path" and a "Module" is, then you're on the right track (the "Adventure Path" would be a campaign and the "Module" would be an adventure, as backwards as that sounds).

Another way to look at it: An adventure would be a movie...a campaign would be a TV series with multiple seasons.

hymer
2016-07-04, 12:50 AM
What's the difference? Someone at my table mentioned they prefer Adventures to Campaigns, and I only run "campaigns." :confused:

Have you considered asking them to elaborate? I agree pretty much with ProphetSword's explanation (except perhaps for the changing of characters between adventures), but who knows what aspect your player is referring to? Is it the length? The over-arching theme? The constraints of having a BBEG with a plan, driving the PCs to respond?

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2016-07-04, 01:01 AM
His complaint may stem from the fact that he wants to play more characters. I know that I personally love creating characters. Just the entire process of adding the right spices for backstory flavor, and givig him a personality that fits in the world the DM has presented me. He may also want to have more of a sandbox type of world that a campaign with a constant threat just can't offer. Both can be good, and you don't have to scrap a campaing, but after the next arc take a break from it for an adventure or two, even pass the DM title around if you want!

Basically poll the table, if they want to take a break do it. Whatever creates the most fun for the table.

JRDS
2016-07-04, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the descriptions guys.

Next time I see him I'll ask, that's a really good point hymer. :smile:

DivisibleByZero
2016-07-05, 09:41 AM
We only play campaigns, some of which are/have been comprised of multiple adventures strung together. But we alleviate the character issue by simply allowing anyone to swap out a character as they see fit if they dislike or want to change the one they're currently playing. The DM (rotating) just introduces the new character when the timing becomes appropriate. You might have to keep playing your older character for another session of two, but you'll be able to switch soon enough of you want.

Kurt Kurageous
2016-07-05, 04:06 PM
The "party" consists of whoever shows up playing 1-2 characters of their choice moving along any one of three (!!!) current story lines happening more or less simultaneously in the same part of the planet.

I think in 2016 it's unrealistic to expect the same five or more adults to be able to meet on a regular basis to play the same roles in the same single story for long enough for meaningful story advancement, to say nothing about moving through levels 1-20 using the experience point system as written. It was possible when I was a kid in the ever long summers of the early to 1980s lacking the distractions that are platform gaming, PC gaming, internet, and girlfriend. Its just not possible now given wife, kids, life, and career.

I just had a radical thought.

What if XP was earned by the player, not the character in a campaign. You advance a character to a level in the Eberron campaign, next week you can play a different character who is also that level in Eberron. Or if we open a different adventure/campaign line, its a different track. As a DM, I just track my players by storyline, not by characters.

I can see some good things and some problems with this. But what are your thoughts?

ProphetSword
2016-07-05, 05:20 PM
I think in 2016 it's unrealistic to expect the same five or more adults to be able to meet on a regular basis to play the same roles in the same single story for long enough for meaningful story advancement, to say nothing about moving through levels 1-20 using the experience point system as written. It was possible when I was a kid in the ever long summers of the early to 1980s lacking the distractions that are platform gaming, PC gaming, internet, and girlfriend. Its just not possible now given wife, kids, life, and career.

It's not unrealistic. I just finished a three year campaign with a group of adults, of the many I have completed in my near 35 years of being a DM. You just need a group who makes the time to play.

Toofey
2016-07-05, 05:23 PM
Adventure:
GM: This is the problem
Players: ok lets go do that

Campaign
GM: This is the problem
Players: how do you expect us to do anything about that?!

I think in 2016 it's unrealistic to expect the same five or more adults to be able to meet on a regular basis to play the same roles in the same single story for long enough for meaningful story advancement, to say nothing about moving through levels 1-20 using the experience point system as written.

Last year I finished a 6 year campaign where the mage went from 4th to 18th level based on XP playing 2nd ed (which is an explanation of either how tough the XP tree is, or why it took 6 years to cover 14 levels) meeting on average 2-3 times per month.

2D8HP
2016-07-05, 09:42 PM
even pass the DM title around if you want!Being a player is most of the fun, and less than half of the headache of being a DM! Your doing them a favor!

Sorry guys, I don't have anything else prepared. How about a game of risk? I've also got Excalibur on DVD and Conan the Destroyer, and Hawk the Slayer on VHS.
or even make one of them "put on the daddy pants" and be the DM!

Here's the screen and some dice. Shall I play my Fighter/Rogue or my Ranger?